Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2663 2664 [2665] 2666 2667 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2006850 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39960 on: June 25, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »

I just read thru a list of the shootings in Chicago last weekend...each one detailed.
No mention anywhere of cops, racist or otherwise, shooting anyone.

And?

'Racist cops' seem to be getting blamed for everything.

Only to you, Bambi.

I am pretty sure, for example, that racist cops have nothing to do with your ignorance or your insistence on posting your ignorance here.

barton

« Reply #39961 on: June 25, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »

Trump was handed the means to his re-election.  A crisis that - if responded to properly - could have united his base + undecided voters behind him. ....
(...)
  Maybe he believed the analogy to the common flu too much.

Both you and Kam offer solid analysis.   That last IMO is key to the mindset of "45" -- keeping himself insulated from facts ensured he could easily swallow the "it's really just flu" kool-aid.  I have worked, at one of my jobs,  with dementia and TBI patients,  and one very common symptom is the loss of ability to process nuance and complexity.   Everything must become binary,  black/white.  If it's not plague,  then it's only flu,  there's no middle ground. 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39962 on: June 25, 2020, 05:31:06 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39963 on: June 25, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »

When Ted Cruz and John Cornyn are questioning the actions/decisions of the Trump administration, you know it's gone too far.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/25/politics/texas-coronavirus-testing-trump-funding/index.html

It's gone too far.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39964 on: June 25, 2020, 05:42:29 PM »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39965 on: June 25, 2020, 05:48:00 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/06/25/arizona-councilman-guy-phillips-mocks-george-floyd-i-cant-breathe-orig-kj.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

Another day, another Republican mocking both face masks and the deaths of Blacks.
Scottsdale? They'll probably elect him to Congress.
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39966 on: June 25, 2020, 05:48:35 PM »

Both you and Kam offer solid analysis.   That last IMO is key to the mindset of "45" -- keeping himself insulated from facts ensured he could easily swallow the "it's really just flu" kool-aid.  I have worked, at one of my jobs,  with dementia and TBI patients,  and one very common symptom is the loss of ability to process nuance and complexity.   Everything must become binary,  black/white.  If it's not plague,  then it's only flu,  there's no middle ground.

This may be true, but I think underplays the political motives.  At the start we know Trump was watching market reactions to COVID (see signed copy of Dow Jones chart he sent to supporters after positive market reaction to his declaring a national emergency.)  When he thought it helped him politically, he downplayed the impact of the virus ("I like the numbers where they are.") Then when it helped him politically, he convened a task force whose principal purpose was to stand behind him at his nightly press conference so he could play a "president" on TV.  Then when those press conferences hurt him politically, he ended them.  Now that he thinks he is sunk in November if there is no "V-shaped recovery" this summer, he is pushing for re-openings while ignoring the recommendations of that very task force.

I don't think his response to COVID comes principally from a mind (that was never very sharp) being degraded by dementia, though I think that surely doesn't help.  I think it comes from a mind that sees everything through a "How does this hurt/help me" lens.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39967 on: June 25, 2020, 05:58:13 PM »

When Ted Cruz and John Cornyn are questioning the actions/decisions of the Trump administration, you know it's gone too far.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/25/politics/texas-coronavirus-testing-trump-funding/index.html

It's gone too far.

But several lawmakers from Texas, including Republican Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, say they do not understand why the federal assistance is being pulled as their state sees more and more coronavirus cases.

"Frankly, I didn't understand what they were thinking," Cornyn told CNN on Thursday.

Its funny how even the "president's" supporters think his words are meaningless.

The guy told you what he is thinking!  In a campaign rally surrounded by 6,141 people!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #39968 on: June 25, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »

I just read thru a list of the shootings in Chicago last weekend...each one detailed.

And?

Only to you, Bambi.

I am pretty sure, for example, that racist cops have nothing to do with your ignorance or your insistence on posting your ignorance here.

Day, night, people lying dead on the streets of Chicago, gunned down in drive-bys,  gunned down by other people on the streets, ...people dropped off at hospitals having been shot from one car into another, or shot some other way ...woman shot on a porch by a man who just walked up and pulled the trigger.
Only time police are mentioned is as detectives trying to solve the crimes.
Only one victim identified by race, along with the race of the accused...in the article.
No police brutality, no police shooting anyone...but a lot of dead people, even more wounded.

Much the same thing seems to happen every weekend.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:14:27 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39969 on: June 25, 2020, 07:22:22 PM »

Wonder how many innocent people were incarcerated because of these bad cops.

None, Barton.

Very likely - none
kiid, there are hundreds of innocent people in jail because of GOOD cops.

Stands to reason then that it wouldnt be "because of the bad cops" - it would be more because THESE THINGS HAPPEN.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39970 on: June 25, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »

And?

Only to you, Bambi.

Day, night, people lying dead on the streets of Chicago, gunned down in drive-bys,  gunned down by other people on the streets, ...people dropped off at hospitals having been shot from one car into another, or shot some other way ...woman shot on a porch by a man who just walked up and pulled the trigger.
Only time police are mentioned is as detectives trying to solve the crimes.
Only one victim identified by race, along with the race of the accused...in the article.
No police brutality, no police shooting anyone...but a lot of dead people, even more wounded.

Much the same thing seems to happen every weekend.

PORTLAND is still more of a sewer.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #39971 on: June 25, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »

Yawn.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39972 on: June 25, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »

Do you honestly believe that he would not prefer the statues to be restored?!

Sure, mate

But the ONE at issue was on federal land.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39973 on: June 25, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »

Wonder how many innocent people were incarcerated because of these bad cops.

None, Barton.

Very likely - none
kiid, there are hundreds of innocent people in jail because of GOOD cops.

Stands to reason then that it wouldnt be "because of the bad cops" - it would be more because THESE THINGS HAPPEN.

No.

Bogus reasoning, using an untenable assumption or two.

If bad things can happen because good cops screw up, there is nothing that supports that bad cops cannot also do things - either because they screw up or because they have bad intentions.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39974 on: June 25, 2020, 07:33:52 PM »

Do you honestly believe that he would not prefer the statues to be restored?!

Sure, mate

But the ONE at issue was on federal land.

Has nothing to do with the statement that you wished retracted, which you now grant was accurate.

Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 2663 2664 [2665] 2666 2667 ... 4288