Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2667 2668 [2669] 2670 2671 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007549 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #40020 on: June 26, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »

So millions of Americans are out of work, no healthcare coverage, no health insurance and last night the Trump admin files with the Supreme Court to strike down ACA "Obama care"and leave about 23 million Americans uninsured.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/us/politics/obamacare-trump-administration-supreme-court.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court late Thursday to overturn the Affordable Care Act — a move that, if successful, would bring a permanent end to the health insurance program popularly known as Obamacare and wipe out coverage for as many as 23 million Americans.

In an 82-page brief submitted an hour before a midnight deadline, the administration joined Republican officials in Texas and 17 other states in arguing that in 2017, Congress, then controlled by Republicans, had rendered the law unconstitutional when it zeroed out the tax penalty for not buying insurance — the so-called individual mandate.

WTF is wrong with this guy?

1) ignore the pandemic warnings
2) ignore the disease
3) ignore public health precautions to halt the spread
4) deny what is going on
5) insist the virus is defeated as half the country is getting sick and the curve is rising
6) attempting to deny healthcare options for millions of vulnerable Americans.

Playing politics with people's lives in the middle of a health care crisis is unconscionable.

A reasonable conclusion remains he hates most Americans and is trying to cull the herd

A 2nd might be Trump is the cruelest dumbest most indifferent to human life indecent motherfucker ever to be President.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #40021 on: June 26, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »

So millions of Americans are out of work, no healthcare coverage, no health insurance and last night the Trump admin files with the Supreme Court to strike down ACA "Obama care"and leave about 23 million Americans uninsured.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/us/politics/obamacare-trump-administration-supreme-court.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court late Thursday to overturn the Affordable Care Act — a move that, if successful, would bring a permanent end to the health insurance program popularly known as Obamacare and wipe out coverage for as many as 23 million Americans.

In an 82-page brief submitted an hour before a midnight deadline, the administration joined Republican officials in Texas and 17 other states in arguing that in 2017, Congress, then controlled by Republicans, had rendered the law unconstitutional when it zeroed out the tax penalty for not buying insurance — the so-called individual mandate.

2) ignore the disease
4) deny what is going on
5) insist the virus is defeated as half the country is getting sick and the curve is rising

Playing politics with people's lives in the middle of a health care crisis is unconscionable.

A reasonable conclusion remains he hates most Americans and is trying to cull the herd

A 2nd might be Trump is the cruelest dumbest most indifferent to human life indecent motherfucker ever to be President.

It isn’t Trump.
It’s the Republican donor class.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #40022 on: June 26, 2020, 10:10:02 AM »

Both you and Kam offer solid analysis.   That last IMO is key to the mindset of "45" -- keeping himself insulated from facts ensured he could easily swallow the "it's really just flu" kool-aid.  I have worked, at one of my jobs,  with dementia and TBI patients,  and one very common symptom is the loss of ability to process nuance and complexity.   Everything must become binary,  black/white.  If it's not plague,  then it's only flu,  there's no middle ground.

This may be true, but I think underplays the political motives.  At the start we know Trump was watching market reactions to COVID (see signed copy of Dow Jones chart he sent to supporters after positive market reaction to his declaring a national emergency.)  When he thought it helped him politically, he downplayed the impact of the virus ("I like the numbers where they are.") Then when it helped him politically, he convened a task force whose principal purpose was to stand behind him at his nightly press conference so he could play a "president" on TV.  Then when those press conferences hurt him politically, he ended them.  Now that he thinks he is sunk in November if there is no "V-shaped recovery" this summer, he is pushing for re-openings while ignoring the recommendations of that very task force.

I don't think his response to COVID comes principally from a mind (that was never very sharp) being degraded by dementia, though I think that surely doesn't help.  I think it comes from a mind that sees everything through a "How does this hurt/help me" lens.

I wasn't saying it isn't a product of both.   Trump's always been a sociopath who serves himself only,  no doubt about it.  Dementia just accentuates the feral quality,  the embarrassing transparency of the cunning, the inability to see a bigger picture.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #40023 on: June 26, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »

Watching the House hearing on DC Statehood.

Historic because this bill will pass regardless what happens in the Senate and White House.

GOP arguments against are cached in power “we ain’t giving up any!”

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #40024 on: June 26, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »

2) ignore the disease
4) deny what is going on

It isn’t Trump.
It’s the Republican donor class.

I don't know knicks, maybe they want to buy the last suite on the Titanic?

This can't be a good campaign issue going into the election.

If Trump/Koch/Adelman/Russian oligarchs think an attack on Obamacare is a good distraction from Trump's CV malpratice or his dalliances with treason, or that he can't walk a ramp and drink water at the same time, that's a helluva fall-back position.

I gotta think Joe is smiling in his basement.

The Trump-Republican bashing ad writes itself. 

barton

« Reply #40025 on: June 26, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »

https://rollingout.com/2020/06/25/white-cops-said-they-cant-wait-for-a-race-war-to-slaughter-blacks/

I assume the three cops involved were two manky hookers and a racist dwarf.

Somehow I believe, Ken, that the balance shall tip in the favour of culture, like a big fat fucking retarded black girl on a see-saw opposite a dwarf.   

In Bruges quotes never fail me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40026 on: June 26, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »

2) ignore the disease
4) deny what is going on

I eagerly await kiid and Red posting about the negative social cost of this policy decision, the human costs in terms of financial ruin, lives lost, domestic issues, etc.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #40027 on: June 26, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »

https://rollingout.com/2020/06/25/white-cops-said-they-cant-wait-for-a-race-war-to-slaughter-blacks/

I assume the three cops involved were two manky hookers and a racist dwarf.

Somehow I believe, Ken, that the balance shall tip in the favour of culture, like a big fat fucking retarded black girl on a see-saw opposite a dwarf.   

In Bruges quotes never fail me.
So all the white midgets in the world will be fighting against all the black midgets in the world? ...That would make a good film!
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #40028 on: June 26, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »

Boz-from what you can tell what % of folks in AZ are following social distance protocols in grocery stores/public spaces?

as CV has become more of a threat has SD/masks become more practiced?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #40029 on: June 26, 2020, 10:36:14 AM »

Good job, Republicans, another day of record infection rates.

And with Trump crowing about the "low" numbers of deaths you know those will be on the rise soon.

You seem to be rooting for the deaths

Likely want more police abuse of blaacks too - to fit your agenda

Sad case you are, Amity.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #40030 on: June 26, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »

Boz-from what you can tell what % of folks in AZ are following social distance protocols in grocery stores/public spaces?

As soon as Douchey opened the bars and restaurants Old Town Scottsdale was packed with people not wearing masks and deliberately doing the opposite of social distancing. It has remained that way. Until the last week or so, I would say in most stores at a given time maybe 1/3 were wearing masks. Last few days we have been locking the barn door with the horse running wild in the fields.

We pissed away two months of sacrifice because some asshole wants business opened to save his reelection chances regardless of the human cost. Now my wife is in greater danger for her health - in the five days she had off between her shifts her hospital now has four times the number of units devoted to COVID care and are converting Conference rooms and any other empty spots they can find to non emergency care.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #40031 on: June 26, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »

As soon as Douchey opened the bars and restaurants Old Town Scottsdale was packed with people not wearing masks and deliberately doing the opposite of social distancing. It has remained that way. Until the last week or so, I would say in most stores at a given time maybe 1/3 were wearing masks. Last few days we have been locking the barn door with the horse running wild in the fields.

We pissed away two months of sacrifice because some asshole wants business opened to save his reelection chances regardless of the human cost. Now my wife is in greater danger for her health - in the five days she had off between her shifts her hospital now has four times the number of units devoted to COVID care and are converting Conference rooms and any other empty spots they can find to non emergency care.

good luck-and  stay healthy.

And give your wife a hug and a thank you from me-she's a hero.

People here (NJ) are starting to come out again but masks are the norm and required for certain activities.

But folks here were largely hiding under there beds March-June. If it means staying a hermit for another month or so to help stopping or slowing this thing...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:55:13 AM by bankshot1 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #40032 on: June 26, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »

And with Trump crowing about the "low" numbers of deaths you know those will be on the rise soon.

Sad case you are, Amity.
How can you read that as "rooting for deaths."?
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #40033 on: June 26, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »

Sad case you are, Amity.
How can you read that as "rooting for deaths."?

Because he’s a racist asshole.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #40034 on: June 26, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »

Coming from the guy who shrugs, "just 0.0004% of the population dead.  No biggie."

Coming from the guy who only posts about instances of crime when they are committed by Blacks or Hispanics.

Sad case you are, Amity.

Coming from the guy who proudly counts himself a member of the personality cult of the worst "president" this country has ever seen.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 2667 2668 [2669] 2670 2671 ... 4288