Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2743 2744 [2745] 2746 2747 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1599865 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41160 on: July 03, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »

You're tiresome.

The US as honest broker has long been a useless sham, in which there is an ongoing phony peace process (Netanyahu admitted such after his first stint in office).

World opinion regarding Israel and Palestinians is very different than the US perspective.  I'd like Europe and/or the UN to have a crack at solving things.  But there is a good amount of anti-semitism in the UN/world.  So the US could be a counter on that.  And that could also be largely mitigated by making it a Security Council only affair.

The US hasn't been able to solve the ME situation mostly because it was overly biased.  I don't care what the balance is between Europe, the UN and US is but if all three of those power centers were involved we'd have a more balanced approach.  The US could have a referee role to keep things honest.  Or more.  But if Israel was going to be subject to genuine pressure to agree to a plan, it could get done (and of course the threat of an ultimate US veto would always be there for Israel'a protection.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:41:15 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41161 on: July 03, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »

So what's up with Rushmore?

Chief of the tribe has NOT GIVEN PERMISSION for President Trump to be on the land.  Isnt it the same land millions of tourists visit each year - and that the tribe makes money off?

barton

« Reply #41162 on: July 03, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »

In a matter of a few minutes poor confused Bo has gone from the US stepping aside to the US imposing its will.

Watching Bo work his statecraft  is fucking hysterical stuff.

It's called nuance.   Which all hinges on what constitutes "genuine pressure. " 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41163 on: July 03, 2020, 03:25:47 PM »

The Jews went to he wrong place after WWII to start a country. Greenland would have been the right choice. Instead they went by the book and put their foot in a bear trap. Now they have no way of pulling it out.
Should have gone to Sitka.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #41164 on: July 03, 2020, 03:26:48 PM »

Chief of the tribe has NOT GIVEN PERMISSION for President Trump to be on the land.  Isnt it the same land millions of tourists visit each year - and that the tribe makes money off?

Tribe had that land stolen in the breaking of the Treaty of Fort Laramie.   Tribe gets not one cent,  nor have they taken the billion dollar check offered for it.   Because that is acknowledging that they've willingly let it go.   

Rushmore was carved against the Lakota people's wishes.   Obvious why that's the case,  I hope.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41166 on: July 03, 2020, 03:28:30 PM »

I didn't use fairness, because I find the US concept of fairness in this context is rather Israel biased.

You added in the US to get "some" fairness.

Do you think Europe is unbiased?

Do you think the UN is unbiased?

And... this doesn't even touch my real problems with your belief that this is easy, but I assure you that turning it over to the UN and/or Europe will make it no easier to reach peace than when the US did things under either Carter or Clinton.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41167 on: July 03, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »

Tribe had that land stolen in the breaking of the Treaty of Fort Laramie.   Tribe gets not one cent,  nor have they taken the billion dollar check offered for it.   Because that is acknowledging that they've willingly let it go.   

Rushmore was carved against the Lakota people's wishes.   Obvious why that's the case,  I hope.

I get visits from lots of people.

The only trump I’d let on my land is Mary and only if she were bringing me an advance copy of her book.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #41168 on: July 03, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »

Update from THE SEWER:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/riot-declared-in-portland-cops-oder-protesters-to-leave

Now that you’ve correctly identified foxnews as THE SEWER, why do you get your nourishment there?

It’s making you weak sick and easily confused.

Heh.

He loves calling Portland a sewer,  because he likes to insult the political Left and sees Portland as a leftist hotbed.  He knows nothing about the city.   I know because I lived there.   

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41169 on: July 03, 2020, 03:33:31 PM »

The Jews went to he wrong place after WWII to start a country. Greenland would have been the right choice. Instead they went by the book and put their foot in a bear trap. Now they have no way of pulling it out.

Population of Greenland in 2020: 56,000
Jewish population of Palestine in 1931: 175,000
Jewish population of Palestine in 1947: 630,000

I don't think Greenland would have worked.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41170 on: July 03, 2020, 03:34:06 PM »

Assuming bad faith on the part of anyone who criticizes Israel is itself a form of bad faith.  I criticize the US loud and long, without being accused of being anti-American. 

My view is a humanist one.  I think people are people and basically the same all over.  They want security, basic needs met, fairness, education, a chance to earn a living, a better life for their children. 
Governments and elites and special interests are another story.

My inclination is to support the weak and oppressed.  Not that they might not become oppressors if they became the strong, but you deal with things as they are.

9 months into the Trump Admin, I visited Israel and Palestine and Jordan.  Everyone was friendly, though afraid of the other side.  I wish we spent more time in the West Bank, but I wasn't sure what to expect.  Bethlehem and Hebron were very interesting, but wish we got to Jericho too.  Jerusalem is a wonder.  Tel Aviv had good food, but didn't interest us much (supposedly much better during the Summer/beach weather).  Nazareth was pretty cool, a largely Arab-Israeli town with a terrific food scene.  Just being in the biblical land and walking around this historic territory was pretty cool.  Definitely recommended.

But the apartheid elements, such as the wall, settlements and security controls for Palestinians were a bit depressing.  If we had more time it would have been interesting to go to a refugee camp and to go to a settlement.  Though I might be the only one in our group to think so.  But of course time is always limited, and in the end we didn't even get to Amman, which I think was mistake, but the border crossing regulations were a bit convoluted.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41171 on: July 03, 2020, 03:39:48 PM »

I always thought it odd that one of the places under consideration was Uganda.
Aside from the fact that it was already populated, I never could see how that would work.  A malarial jungle deep in Africa.  Of course Israel was much more desert (if not deserted) back then and not tremendously hospitable.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #41172 on: July 03, 2020, 03:43:09 PM »

Jamaica sounds pleasant - and the name change is easy.   Jewmaica. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41173 on: July 03, 2020, 03:44:24 PM »

I liked Portland a very livable and cat-friendly city.
But I haven't been there in a long time.
My niece studied in Eugene and pretty sure she liked Portland.

So kiid, can you explain why you think Portland is a sewer?
I know details and facts aren't really your thing, but I have no idea why you say that.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #41174 on: July 03, 2020, 03:49:10 PM »

He hates the roving mobs of Leftist-anarchist-perverts that constantly comb the streets looking for  things to burn in their cannibalistic cook-offs.   
Pages: 1 ... 2743 2744 [2745] 2746 2747 ... 4288