Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2745 2746 [2747] 2748 2749 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583987 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41190 on: July 03, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »

As long as Israel is immune from following international law, there will be no peaceful solution.  The US enables that.  That's my stepping off point.

And you continue to duck the question.

Or you have me on ignore, which is possible, I suppose.

But you still duck the question, even so.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41191 on: July 03, 2020, 04:33:28 PM »

As long as Israel is immune from following international law, there will be no peaceful solution.  The US enables that.  That's my stepping off point.

And you continue to duck the question.
Or you have me on ignore, which is possible, I suppose.
But you still duck the question, even so.

THE Question.
Which is ...?

What about my statement which you just quoted.
Do you agree or disagree with that and why.

Also:
I offered my next stage.  What's yours?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41192 on: July 03, 2020, 04:36:29 PM »

Bo you called the Israel-Palestinan an easy fix if only the US would but out and let the UN, who has exhibited a marked pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel bias for decades,  jam Israel with its solution.

I called that your final solution, as it likely would have been an apocalyptic ending....

Why would a UN solution favoring Palestine necessarily be

A.   Apocalyptic

B.   Anti-Semitic

I don't quite see that case being made by you.   Maybe Palestine,  after decades of brutal oppression and land theft by Far Right governments, DOES need favoring??   One can be pro-Palestine without perforce being anti-Israel.

I didn't say that,

I said the UN as a body has exhibited a strong anti-Israel bias historically, whether its roots are in anti-Semitism I can not say. But its not like antisemitisn is new, its lhas a 5,000 year history.

Bo's original  EZ fix post had the US abandoning Israel and israel getting jammed with a UN solution or facing dire consequences. I fear that that solution reflecting the UN's demostrated biases, might be met and answered in an aggressive response. An ugly deadly war. its not a stretch.

I truly feel badly for displaced Palestinians, but war was declared on Israel several times from 1948-73, and...

The Palestinians and their allies in the region made some very poor stategic choices, over and over again,

And israel has become more reactionary.

But I understand that Israel wil likely have to make sacrifices like land, autonomy and certain reparations and investments in their defeated foe, just like other victors have traditionally done after wars.

And then after making concessions and making investments they will then have to trust their neighbors good intentions to keep the peace.

and trust in that part of the world is in short supply.

And Bo's calling for israel to obey international law, as decided by its un-democratic foes, is a fucking joke.

where is the call for Arab states to obey International law that created the state of Israel in 1948?

the hypocrisy is self-evident.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:41:04 PM by bankshot1 »

barton

« Reply #41193 on: July 03, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »

Bowing out, calls of duty here.   Thanks to Josh for finding classic Illingworth plates of the 1874 expedition.   I have stood on that spot.   And also on the French Creek spot where gold was found.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41194 on: July 03, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »

Almost all criticism of Israel has antisemitism attached, whether by choice or by ignorance.

At least Bibi would like you to believe so.
So you can't criticize Israel without being labelled a bigot?  How convenient.

Not what I said.

But you kinda proved the point. Look how quickly you transformed my clear statement into one you wished it to be.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41195 on: July 03, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »

The Jews went to he wrong place after WWII to start a country. Greenland would have been the right choice. Instead they went by the book and put their foot in a bear trap. Now they have no way of pulling it out.

Wow.

This isn't far from someone saying you should go back to Africa, you know...where you belong.

But again what I said. It's either almost always intentional bias or ignorance.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #41196 on: July 03, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »

I have to say that 4 years of Trump won't be so awful if the end result is the Dems get the WH and a unified Congress.

Winning the House in '18 was important.  It really slowed down the GOP and got Trump impeached and knocked the wind out of his hairpiece.

I think early voting begins in September in many states.

While I'd like to be optimistic, and fervently want a massive BLUE wave to cleanse America in 2020, the depth of the stain that Trump will  leave on the fabric of America will not be so easily washed away.

From domestic issues: race divsions, the economy, healthcare, voter suppression efforts, environmental, to foreign policy: rebuilding long-term alliances that have served us well, rechecking and assessing complicated and contentious relations with China and Russia, and showing to the world we side with democracy and not authoritarian oppressive countries. Biden and the Dems have a lot to do rebuilding the ability to effectively govern that Trump and Repubs have activelt tried to dismantle.

And they will likely meet with a lot of head-wind from Repubs. And lets not forget the a conservative SC and the hundreds of federal judges Trump and McConnell hand-picked to bend law and justice to favor the rich and powerful. 

But I'm hopeful that a Biden Admin wil be focused and smart and start fixing America step by step, ((I'd focus on the economy, jobs (infrastructure) aide to tax starved states and fixing O-care/healthcare and slapping sanctions on Russia). Let's see Repubs run against that in '22.

And i agree taking the House in '18 was critical in denying Trump the complete legal power to enact more damaging legislation. And in that regard keeping the House in '20 (which should be a lock) but also in '22 and '24 will be critical. And retaking the Senate would be huge in sctually fixing America,

IMO if we get a Biden presidency he will inherit a shit storm of problems, too numerous to discuss in depth now, that he will be tasked with fixing. And it won't be easy and may make him and a D-congress easy targets for the hypocritical republicans, who will demand quick cures for the diseases they brought to our country.

IMO the 4-years of suffering Trump-16 (and lets pray its just 4 years) will leave scars and have a damning legacy far beyond that happy day when we're cured of the Trumpdemic.

I really see the glass more half full than the above.

This is a truly transformative time and it is in such times there is opportunity that shouldn’t me wasted.

The coming aftermath of this shit show is akin to a post war environment or meteor strike.

Society is screaming for change and Trump is defending the Confederacy.

There are few moments in history such as these.

Fuck the GOP.

Headwinds?

Fuck them, change the rules and shut them out.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41197 on: July 03, 2020, 05:07:54 PM »

Jamaica sounds pleasant - and the name change is easy.   Jewmaica.

Hmmm. Guess the sun is shining into a lot of windows, today. Should they go to Costco because it's so cheap, too? And change the name of those products from Kirkland to Kikeland?

Cue the George Soros conspiracy theory, now.
Godawfugginmighty!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41198 on: July 03, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »

I have to say that 4 years of Trump won't be so awful if the end result is the Dems get the WH and a unified Congress.

Winning the House in '18 was important.  It really slowed down the GOP and got Trump impeached and knocked the wind out of his hairpiece.

I think early voting begins in September in many states.

While I'd like to be optimistic, and fervently want a massive BLUE wave to cleanse America in 2020, the depth of the stain that Trump will  leave on the fabric of America will not be so easily washed away.

From domestic issues: race divsions, the economy, healthcare, voter suppression efforts, environmental, to foreign policy: rebuilding long-term alliances that have served us well, rechecking and assessing complicated and contentious relations with China and Russia, and showing to the world we side with democracy and not authoritarian oppressive countries. Biden and the Dems have a lot to do rebuilding the ability to effectively govern that Trump and Repubs have activelt tried to dismantle.

And they will likely meet with a lot of head-wind from Repubs. And lets not forget the a conservative SC and the hundreds of federal judges Trump and McConnell hand-picked to bend law and justice to favor the rich and powerful. 

But I'm hopeful that a Biden Admin wil be focused and smart and start fixing America step by step, ((I'd focus on the economy, jobs (infrastructure) aide to tax starved states and fixing O-care/healthcare and slapping sanctions on Russia). Let's see Repubs run against that in '22.

And i agree taking the House in '18 was critical in denying Trump the complete legal power to enact more damaging legislation. And in that regard keeping the House in '20 (which should be a lock) but also in '22 and '24 will be critical. And retaking the Senate would be huge in sctually fixing America,

IMO if we get a Biden presidency he will inherit a shit storm of problems, too numerous to discuss in depth now, that he will be tasked with fixing. And it won't be easy and may make him and a D-congress easy targets for the hypocritical republicans, who will demand quick cures for the diseases they brought to our country.

IMO the 4-years of suffering Trump-16 (and lets pray its just 4 years) will leave scars and have a damning legacy far beyond that happy day when we're cured of the Trumpdemic.

I really see the glass more half full than the above.

This is a truly transformative time and it is in such times there is opportunity that shouldn’t me wasted.

The coming aftermath of this shit show is akin to a post war environment or meteor strike.

Society is screaming for change and Trump is defending the Confederacy.

There are few moments in history such as these.

Fuck the GOP.

Headwinds?

Fuck them, change the rules and shut them out.

Be Smart

and be strategic and the Dems can re-write a lot of laws, enact a lot of social change and appoint a lot of judges over the next 30+ years

be a pig and you risk gtting slaughtered in '22 and '24.

i hope the dems hit the trifecta in '20 WH/S/H

and consolidate in '20-22, make progress and hold H/S

win again in '24.

then the demographics and some of the social changes may be too strong for the Repubs to game

then you can bury the fuckers
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:15:30 PM by bankshot1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41199 on: July 03, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »

just turned on Faux and they were reporting Trump will be wearing a mask at Mt Rushmore

BURY MY FACE IN WOUNDED PRIDE

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41200 on: July 03, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »

No, that's more like you just stepped into something stinky and gross point.

Quick. List all of the countries in the region and in the world who support the existence of Israel.

Then get back to me about "international law" after you sift through the stated goals and actions  of the Palestinians, Egyptians, Saudis, Syrians,  Iranians, Turks....

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41201 on: July 03, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »

The Willie Horton Strategy is in full use, already:

Trump and his campaign team, already concerned about his weakness in battleground states, have become increasingly alarmed by internal polling showing a softening of support among suburban voters, especially women without college degrees, according to two Republican officials close to the campaign.

They said Trump was also seeking to highlight a set of proposals, put forward by the campaign of his presumptive Democratic rival, Joe Biden, to reassess zoning laws relating to single-family homes, a move some critics argue could turn suburbs into cities. “Corrupt Joe Biden wants to make them MUCH WORSE,” Trump tweeted.

Hours after Trump tweeted, his son Donald Trump Jr., posted a link to a National Review article titled, “Joe Biden and Democrats Are Set to Abolish the Suburbs.”

https://news.yahoo.com/president-threatens-eliminate-obama-era-121201749.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #41202 on: July 03, 2020, 05:31:03 PM »

3Ws.

Wear a mask.
Watch your distance.
Wash your hands.

Assume you can die:

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavirus/researches-say-nj-ny-no-longer-on-track-to-contain-virus

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41203 on: July 03, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »

The Great Divider apparently is going to go after the rabble rousers and left-wing tonight at Mt Rushmore.

I bet he would have been a blast to hang with at the Boston Tea Party.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41204 on: July 03, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 2745 2746 [2747] 2748 2749 ... 4288