Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583548 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41205 on: July 03, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »

The Great Divider apparently is going to go after the rabble rousers and left-wing tonight at Mt Rushmore.

I bet he would have been a blast to hang with at the Boston Tea Party.

The Rush at the 'More

Let's Go!!!!
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41206 on: July 03, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »

just turned on Faux and they were reporting Trump will be wearing a mask at Mt Rushmore

BURY MY FACE IN WOUNDED PRIDE

Cool

Yeah I heard Kilmeade say Trump would be wearing it when he deplanes.  We shall see.

Certainly not during the speech.  That would be grossly unnecessary.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41207 on: July 03, 2020, 06:12:07 PM »

Next state's of COVID concern

Illinois
Indiana
Wisconsin
Michigan

barton

« Reply #41208 on: July 03, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »

Jamaica sounds pleasant - and the name change is easy.   Jewmaica.

Hmmm. Guess the sun is shining into a lot of windows, today. Should they go to Costco because it's so cheap, too? And change the name of those products from Kirkland to Kikeland?

Cue the George Soros conspiracy theory, now.
Godawfugginmighty!

I rarely spend time explaining a joke is a joke.   This is why.   Someone can always be relied upon to carefully run a fine toothed comb over it in search of a way to take offense.  Still, I would have thought the Caribbean was a silly enough option to make clear the benign intent. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41209 on: July 03, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »

Hmmm. Guess the sun is shining into a lot of windows, today. Should they go to Costco because it's so cheap, too? And change the name of those products from Kirkland to Kikeland?

Godawfugginmighty!

I rarely spend time explaining a joke is a joke.   This is why.   Someone can always be relied upon to carefully run a fine toothed comb over it in search of a way to take offense.  Still, I would have thought the Caribbean was a silly enough option to make clear the benign intent.

Welcome to Jamaica Mon Have a Nice Day. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41210 on: July 03, 2020, 06:46:16 PM »

Godawfugginmighty!

On top of your strong defense of Palestine.......

It's ok.  You have enough credit here to get a pass.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41211 on: July 03, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »

Godawfugginmighty!

Oh...a joke? Guess you were making it seem one thing, but really making it something else.. I see...you werer using Jew-Jitsu?

Yeah...not funny either.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41212 on: July 03, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »

The Great Divider apparently is going to go after the rabble rousers and left-wing tonight at Mt Rushmore.

I bet he would have been a blast to hang with at the Boston Tea Party.

The Rush at the 'More

Let's Go!!!!

More like...
The Surly on the Mount.

Blessed are the wealthy donors, for they shall inherit tax friendly laws.
Screw the meek.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41213 on: July 03, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »

The Jews went to he wrong place after WWII to start a country. Greenland would have been the right choice. Instead they went by the book and put their foot in a bear trap. Now they have no way of pulling it out.

I always thought it odd that one of the places under consideration was Uganda.
Aside from the fact that it was already populated, I never could see how that would work.  A malarial jungle deep in Africa.  Of course Israel was much more desert (if not deserted) back then and not tremendously hospitable.

It’s generally best to avoid malarial environments when choosing a place to settle down.

Kibbutz driven terraforming did wonders in Israel. That same mind and muscle could have made Greenland at least as pleasant and livable as parts of Finland if not Norway.

Too late for that now.

As pleasant, but with nowhere to put the people, Fac.

There are 8000 square miles to Israel. That’s it.

There are 800,000 square miles of Greenland. Granted 90% of that is ice or otherwise truly uninhabitable, so there’s only about 80000 left to pick over. Granted you’d have to slug it out with the current population of 50,000 mostly Inuit and some Danish souls there already, but that seems far easier than getting on with some displaced millions in the patch they have now.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #41214 on: July 03, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »

As long as Israel is immune from following international law, there will be no peaceful solution.  The US enables that.  That's my stepping off point.

No, that's more like you just stepped into something stinky and gross point.

Quick. List all of the countries in the region and in the world who support the existence of Israel.

Then get back to me about "international law" after you sift through the stated goals and actions  of the Palestinians, Egyptians, Saudis, Syrians,  Iranians, Turks....

Sell the whole property to Saudi for a steep steep premium. Buy 2/3 of Greenland from the Danes who aren’t doing much with it anyway. Move everything that isn’t nailed down and take everyone willing to go. The fanatics who want to stick it out can try to deal with their new landlords.

That is so much more manageable than any future in the Unholy Land.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41215 on: July 03, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »

The Jews went to he wrong place after WWII to start a country. Greenland would have been the right choice. Instead they went by the book and put their foot in a bear trap. Now they have no way of pulling it out.

I always thought it odd that one of the places under consideration was Uganda.
Aside from the fact that it was already populated, I never could see how that would work.  A malarial jungle deep in Africa.  Of course Israel was much more desert (if not deserted) back then and not tremendously hospitable.

It’s generally best to avoid malarial environments when choosing a place to settle down.

Kibbutz driven terraforming did wonders in Israel. That same mind and muscle could have made Greenland at least as pleasant and livable as parts of Finland if not Norway.

Too late for that now.

As pleasant, but with nowhere to put the people, Fac.

There are 8000 square miles to Israel. That’s it.

There are 800,000 square miles of Greenland. Granted 90% of that is ice or otherwise truly uninhabitable, so there’s only about 80000 left to pick over. Granted you’d have to slug it out with the current population of 50,000 mostly Inuit and some Danish souls there already, but that seems far easier than getting on with some displaced millions in the patch they have now.

I have to hope you are joking.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #41216 on: July 03, 2020, 07:55:52 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2020/7/3/21308503/senate-coronavirus-stimulus-states

How much further can the economy disintegrate in the next few weeks?

Mitch McConnell should spend very few of his remaining days a free man. In fact, he should be a sharing cell with imposter trump.

Morgue trucks say there’s room for them both in Elkton prison in Ohio among many other facilities.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41217 on: July 03, 2020, 07:59:31 PM »

As long as Israel is immune from following international law, there will be no peaceful solution.  The US enables that.  That's my stepping off point.

And you continue to duck the question.
Or you have me on ignore, which is possible, I suppose.
But you still duck the question, even so.

THE Question.
Which is ...?

What about my statement which you just quoted.
Do you agree or disagree with that and why.

Also:
I offered my next stage.  What's yours?

I'll confess that in the lower post and my comment following questions in the upper post, I failed to ask a question. Still, the objections stand and embody a question even without an interrogative punctuation mark.

I also subsequently observed that you represent it as a two-sided conflict, with Israel and the Palestinian State as the two side, when I am pretty sure it is either three- or four-sided.

I didn't use fairness, because I find the US concept of fairness in this context is rather Israel biased.

You added in the US to get "some" fairness.

Do you think Europe is unbiased?

Do you think the UN is unbiased?

And... this doesn't even touch my real problems with your belief that this is easy, but I assure you that turning it over to the UN and/or Europe will make it no easier to reach peace than when the US did things under either Carter or Clinton.

I'm glad Bo's has figured out the final solution for the Middle-East.
Its EZ.
JFC

It is.
The US stops blocking UN Security Council resolutions.
If Israel doesn't abide by the UNSc resolutions and/or Euro mediation and policies, then Israel would get slapped with debilitating UN sanctions until they agreed to follow international law.  Israel is too small to withstand such economic pressure.  Europe and the UN could craft a two-state peace plan.  Israel never has to worry about that because the US protects it from world opinion with a Security Council veto.  Without such impunity, things would be awfully different.  The US has been the major impediment to ME peace for half a century or more.  At least Trump ended the farce of the US an honest broker there.

Your naivete in this area is surprising.

A few problems I see with your views on this:
1) A two-state solution ordinarily includes the West Bank and Gaza as the two parts. As has been seen before, with West and East Pakistan, a country trying to control two parts like that is very difficult. It works with Alaska because Canada is not hostile and (thus far) our own internal politics don't lead to substantial armed conflict between our parties.

2) Your notion that a two-state solution would bring peace to the Palestinian and Israeli peoples is bizarre to me. The dominant political party of Gaza has no interest in or intention of peace with Israel and a shift from their current governmental state to becoming part of a new nation is not going to change that. Hamas will get more rockets, then Israel will receive them... through the air.

3) Gaza is dependent on Israel for most of its power, with Egypt providing some as well. But getting it paid for is problematic, not because of either Israel or Egypt, but because of conflicts between Hamas and Fatah. And even when there is no internal crisis, there is insufficient energy.

4) Right of return. Nothing about the current boundaries of Gaza and the West Bank will satisfy the 10s of thousands of displaced persons, let alone the 5 million descendants who make a claim for that right now. There are 59 refugee camps scattered across multiple countries. The occupants have refused offers of homes since their founding (variously 70+ and 50+ years ago), insisting they will remain in the refugee camps until they are allowed to go home. 1.7 Million live in those camps. Israel's total population is 8.8 million.

5) Israel will respond to #4 with claims about its own displaced hundreds of thousands from Arab countries, seeking reparations for them. Shockingly enough, I doubt those other countries have the slightest interest in repaying their exiled Jews for property so taken.

No, really it is not easy. Even if you could get Europe and the UN to agree to a plan, it is not going to bring peace to the area.

Also, my comments were hardly about the Israeli/Palestinian situation alone.

Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon remain problems in the Mid East, all of which Trump has exacerbated. And Gaza aside, the water situation there is deteriorating over time, as well.

Not easy.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41218 on: July 03, 2020, 08:15:15 PM »

I offered my next stage.  What's yours?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that Fatah and Hamas have irreconcilable differences.

I recommend a three state solution, but not the obvious three states.

I recommend that Gaza be ceded to Egypt and the West Bank be ceded to Jordan.

I am pretty sure that nobody would like this, including Israel. But it gets Israel out of direct fire for their management of those spaces, gives each area a nation that can help to formally look out for their interests, etc. It vastly increases the chances that the Gazan citizens will get power, water, and food. It vastly increases the chances that the West Bank residents will be able to find jobs that require fewer of them to go into Israel.

Failing that, a not-insubstantial part of me says, "so, folks, if you are intent upon undoing wars, which it seems you are, then you should pull دوندار علي عثمان‎, out of retirement, or skip down a few slots to Şehzade Mehmed Ziyaeddin Efendi (who is, at least, under 80), and reestablish the Ottoman Empire. Their management of the land that became the British and French Mandates was not so bad, comparatively.

I think the 1st of these could be done, with European and UN involvement, more functionally than a singular Palestinian two-part state.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41219 on: July 03, 2020, 08:19:23 PM »

Anyone tell Fac yet he's been cancelled?
Pages: 1 ... 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 ... 4288