Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2822 2823 [2824] 2825 2826 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584160 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42345 on: July 11, 2020, 11:34:08 PM »

About that mail-in election idea.

Carol Tims , who lives in Atlanta,
was surprised when she saw a USPS letter in her mail addressed to “ Cody” Tims because Cody was her late pet cat that has been dead for 12 years( but technically still in her home in a cremation can).
The letter was asking Cody to register to vote.
"There's a huge push but if they're trying to register cats, I'm not sure who else they're trying to register said Tims.
The Secretary of State's Office says the application did not come from their office. They say third party groups often use mailing lists to get names and addresses. They released a statement saying:
"Third-party groups all over the country are targeting Georgia to help register qualified individuals. This group makes you wonder what these out-of-town activists are really doing. Make no mistake about it, this office is dedicated to investigating all types of fraud."

And in West Virginia

ELKINS, WEST VIRGINIA – Thomas Cooper, a mail carrier in Pendleton County, charged with “Attempt to Defraud the Residents of West Virginia of a Fair Election.” In April the Clerk of Pendleton County received “2020 Primary Election COVID-19 Mail-In Absentee Request" forms from eight voters on which the voter's party-ballot request appeared to have been altered.
An ensuing investigation found five ballot requests that had been altered from “Democrat” to “Republican.” On three other requests, the party wasn’t changed, but the request had been altered.
Cooper was responsible for the mail delivery of the three towns from which the tampered requests were mailed: Onego, Riverton, and Franklin, West Virginia. According to the affidavit, Cooper admitted to altering some of the requests, saying it was a joke.

I registered my dachshund Shorty when I got him chipped back in the 90s (RIP lil buddy) and I started getting junk mail for Shorty Bellinger and a voter registration notice.

It isn’t a big deal unless one tries to carry that out to a ridiculous point. Try casting a vote as a dog.

The guy who tampered with the requests?

He got caught.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42346 on: July 11, 2020, 11:41:50 PM »

Curious what the legality of painting BLM on public streets really is? I know that when they painted that thin blue line on streets inmany towns in NJ it was declared illegal by the feds.

It is a political statement. Should it be painted on a public roadway?  And is legal to do so?

I'm not quibbling about the message. Just curious about whether it's legal to deliver it in this manner.

After all, I am guessing that if I took blue and white paint and wrote Support Israel on the street, their would be a legal consequence.

So what is the legal stature of this political message delivery system? Anyone?

I taught Art courses at a private school in Potomac and a bunch of the boys were targgers who kept getting into rich kid trouble. I told the brats the difference between graffiti art and vandalism was permission.

When the mayors of these towns approve or in the case of DC commission the work I would think legality is not a huge problem.

So...to extend this, if the mayor, town council, etc, approve, it's not a problem?

Wouldn't that apply to all symbols and/or expressions of political pov,, too?

Case by case and you know that.

So, if a town and its mayor and council approved painting the Confederate flag in a crosswalk, that political statement  would be lagal, based on your statements.

Well, yeah... I’m sure someone would kvetch about it, file suit and it would go to court.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42347 on: July 12, 2020, 12:24:52 AM »

About that mail-in election idea.

Carol Tims , who lives in Atlanta,
was surprised when she saw a USPS letter in her mail addressed to “ Cody” Tims because Cody was her late pet cat that has been dead for 12 years( but technically still in her home in a cremation can).
The letter was asking Cody to register to vote.
"There's a huge push but if they're trying to register cats, I'm not sure who else they're trying to register said Tims.
The Secretary of State's Office says the application did not come from their office. They say third party groups often use mailing lists to get names and addresses. They released a statement saying:
"Third-party groups all over the country are targeting Georgia to help register qualified individuals. This group makes you wonder what these out-of-town activists are really doing. Make no mistake about it, this office is dedicated to investigating all types of fraud."

And? What does that have to do with mail in ballots? It is not like the cat will actually register.
And in West Virginia

ELKINS, WEST VIRGINIA – Thomas Cooper, a mail carrier in Pendleton County, charged with “Attempt to Defraud the Residents of West Virginia of a Fair Election.” In April the Clerk of Pendleton County received “2020 Primary Election COVID-19 Mail-In Absentee Request" forms from eight voters on which the voter's party-ballot request appeared to have been altered.
An ensuing investigation found five ballot requests that had been altered from “Democrat” to “Republican.” On three other requests, the party wasn’t changed, but the request had been altered.
Cooper was responsible for the mail delivery of the three towns from which the tampered requests were mailed: Onego, Riverton, and Franklin, West Virginia. According to the affidavit, Cooper admitted to altering some of the requests, saying it was a joke.
So, they caught it. Not as easy to do as people think.
LOL!

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42348 on: July 12, 2020, 02:07:43 AM »

Sydney, bambuland..had a rainbow (painted on the road) pedestrian crossing (crosswalk)...during the gay marriage campaign.
Activists campaigned to have it left there permanently.
City said "NO, too many people posing for photos, loitering,
 lying down on road...too risky, road safety"
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:28:42 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42349 on: July 12, 2020, 02:31:55 AM »

This line spreads way down the sidewalk in front of other businesses, I don't see how the bar has any right to force people to space out or disperse.  Even on the sidewalk directly outside the bar, it's public space.
People are legally gathered in a public area.
I'd contest the fine if I were the bar owners.

I guess the gov't could just shut down the bar because it's unsafe to run that business.  But the city should police the line if they want, and should check inside the bar where i find it unlikely social distancing is being practiced.
Don't people wear masks in OZ? doesn't look like folks in that line do.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42350 on: July 12, 2020, 02:50:00 AM »

Goya is NJ based and reportedly the largest Hispanic company in the US.  Nearly every Hispanic-American family has used their products.
So I can see Hispanic folks feeling betrayed, since Trump has often denigrated Mexicans and CA immigrants (remember the murder caravan invasion?).
Companies should learn to stay out of politics if they don't want their bottom lines affected.  Most do.

When I used to live in NYC circa 1990, I'd sometimes hit a cheap bodega on 29th just W of 8th and get a sandwich and a cold can of Goya juice for like $1.50.  Even cheaper than getting falafel from a street wagon.  Goya pear juice was really nice. Guava quite good too.  And back then exotic fruit juices weren't common.

I like the idea that now Repubs are going to start buying Goya (probably unlikely, but that's what is claimed on the foxnews comments page and in other right wing news outlets).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42351 on: July 12, 2020, 02:55:18 AM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42352 on: July 12, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42353 on: July 12, 2020, 03:07:02 AM »

So 3M confirmed cases; likely 30M Americans infected; 135K or more deaths AND Trump finally masks up nearly 6 months into this.  What a Leader!
(he's right, it did make him look weak; just not in the way he thinks)

Trump's still unwilling to tell the American people to mask up to save lives and prevent illness and infection.  Which would make a difference even at this extremely late date.

And we still have unhelpful official advice such as this:
Walter Reed's website carries this recommendation: “Whenever you’re out in public, like at your local grocery store or pharmacy, where it’s difficult to maintain 6 feet of social distance, you should wear a cloth face covering.” The facility also notes that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends wearing cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the coronavirus.”

It's not an either/or thing.   Masks and social distancing.
Masks as primary precaution, social distancing as a secondary additional measure.
Masks are easy to wear and effective; 6' is a rather arbitrary standard, hard to maintain and much fuzzier.  Mask up and try to do both.

Also for an official website, they should write better and use such as instead of the informal like to provide examples.  Perhaps would work as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:28:05 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42354 on: July 12, 2020, 03:14:33 AM »

If Fauci had any balls, he would praise Trump for wearing a mask and say that we need Trump to request that all Americans to wear a face mask in public.

The virus is now hitting Red states hard, and Trump endorsing masks could make a significant difference (even at this belated stage).  The health care guidance clearly shows masks as the best protection.  Fauci would be promoting science and best practices for health and safety.  That's his job.  And this would help make up for some of his earlier mistakes.

Fauci needs to publicly ask Trump to step up to protect American from illness and death.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42355 on: July 12, 2020, 03:15:57 AM »

This line spreads way down the sidewalk in front of other businesses, I don't see how the bar has any right to force people to space out or disperse.  Even on the sidewalk directly outside the bar, it's public space.

I guess the gov't could just shut down the bar because it's unsafe to run that business.  But the city should police the line if they want, and should check inside the bar where i find it unlikely social distancing is being practiced.

Masks in Oz?
Some do...mostly bambu and Asians, seemingly.
Others do too depending, on public transport, arriving on planes, and now in Melbourne some do, only some.
As you can see by the photo, young people don't much.

Premier 'aunty' Gladys has put the Police Commissioner in charge of enforcing Covid rules.
The people in the street were patrons of the pub, eventually all entered. Therefore pub broke the rules, was fined.
Maybe could've appealed, would cost more than the fine for lawyer...and would likely lose anyway.
NSW flattened the curve to no new community transmissions, many people think it's all over so take no notice of social distancing.

People are dolts.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42356 on: July 12, 2020, 03:17:27 AM »

If Fauci had any balls, he would praise Trump for wearing a mask and say that we need Trump to request that all Americans to wear a face mask in public.

The virus is now hitting Red states hard, and Trump endorsing masks could make a significant difference (even at this belated stage).  The health care guidance clearly shows masks as the best protection.  Fauci would be promoting science and best practices for health and safety.  That's his job.  And this would help make up for some of his earlier mistakes.

Fauci needs to publicly ask Trump to step up to protect American from illness and death.

Fauci has been ordered to stay off television.

If he did what you suggest, he would get fired - he may believe he is doing more good where he is. And he may be. I don't know what he does in the background.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42357 on: July 12, 2020, 03:23:25 AM »

Be best if he said it on TV.  But he could throw down the gauntlet for Trump on radio or to a newspaper and it would generate big headlines.  Fauci has been fairly useless during this epidemic, and at times downright harmful (lying about masks).  No doubt he thinks he's doing the most good when his job and career are safe.  6 more months he can transition through to the Biden Admin (he's been in since Reagan).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42358 on: July 12, 2020, 03:36:56 AM »

Masks in Oz?
Some do...mostly bambu and Asians, seemingly.
Others do too depending, on public transport, arriving on planes, and now in Melbourne some do, only some.
As you can see by the photo, young people don't much.

Premier 'aunty' Gladys has put the Police Commissioner in charge of enforcing Covid rules.
The people in the street were patrons of the pub, eventually all entered. Therefore pub broke the rules, was fined.
Maybe could've appealed, would cost more than the fine for lawyer...and would likely lose anyway.
NSW flattened the curve to no new community transmissions, many people think it's all over so take no notice of social distancing.

People are dolts.

Indeed.
It's not all over, now new cases are being detected.                [I stuffed up my post with the pub line photo, trying to post from a phone, so deleted it.]
                                                                                                [what you quoted for me is exactly what I wrote].

One girl at right in the photo is social distancing, one foot on the road and one on the sidewalk.
She's watching for traffic, as of course cars will be approaching in the gutter lane from left of screen.                                                                                               
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:40:59 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 2822 2823 [2824] 2825 2826 ... 4288