Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2829 2830 [2831] 2832 2833 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1592946 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42450 on: July 12, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »

Quote from: Uno
   I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.. 

Not sure if you saw Kam's post on "concern trolling."  This seems close to that.   I feel your didactic approach is not entirely candid here.

Are you suggesting that there is inconsistent thinking on his part?!

GASP!

Quick kill the messenger. You are using Trump's strategy as your own. No one can question you.

Pretty petty, Josh.

No, but you can make that accusation as much as it pleases you to. You do create a fine set of straw men. Always could.

I think, sadly, in your case, what we've shown here today is what was at the heart of the Harper's letter:  "While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty."

You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?

No, you'd rather try to declare some fault in the person asking you questions.

No difference between your strategy and Trump's.

So to you I'm "fake news" because I ask you to consider your POV is flawed.

Sad.

You didn't raise the Ten Commandments. You raised the Confederacy.

One is religion. The other is politics. The Mississippi flag was legal. A Ten Commandments statue is not, except for Oklahoma, where the statur of Satan is a tourist attraction, if still up.

You're "fake news" (your label, not mine) not because you ask me to check my POV, but because you do it under bogus premises.

You keep claiming I have an inconsistency, but not pointing it out. That is a fault in you. You create a dichotomous question, then reject the answer, claim I haven't answered it, and pose a different question. That is a fault in you.

You suggested I was taking things personally, then have complained that I was claiming fault in you. I'm happy to check my POV. You might consider the same. Or you might not.

You have my permission to paint whatever you would like for political speech on the street by my place. I won't sue unless you lie about me. And don't take down my beehives that are not on your property.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42451 on: July 12, 2020, 07:06:38 PM »

Uno, I really fail to see why this matter of street painting is hard to understand.  Municipalities often promote worthy causes that most citizens are behind - a BLM banner or stencil or whatever,  which shows support to a civil rights cause (just as naming a street Rosa Parks Drive or MLK Blvd would and does in many places) that a majority of Americans see as worthwhile and consistent with our founding principles. 

A confederate flag OTOH is not.

The streets belong to the people, not just some people

I would hope you would allow for dissatisfaction from those you disagree with on this.

Nobody has said boo about dissatisfaction, just legality.

Is that so difficult for you to absorb?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42452 on: July 12, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42453 on: July 12, 2020, 07:13:51 PM »

AOC contends the skyrocketing crime rate in NYC is due to high unemployment and the “ need to find bread” for families.
This from a woman who told Jeff Bezos and Amazon to leave town and forget bringing  tens of thousands of jobs to HER Congressional District.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42454 on: July 12, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »

Uno, I really fail to see why this matter of street painting is hard to understand.  Municipalities often promote worthy causes that most citizens are behind - a BLM banner or stencil or whatever,  which shows support to a civil rights cause (just as naming a street Rosa Parks Drive or MLK Blvd would and does in many places) that a majority of Americans see as worthwhile and consistent with our founding principles. 

A confederate flag OTOH is not.

The streets belong to the people, not just some people

I would hope you would allow for dissatisfaction from those you disagree with on this.

Nobody has said boo about dissatisfaction, just legality.

Is that so difficult for you to absorb?

Kiid and the millions of Hannity groupies like him can drown in dissatisfaction so long as they lose and their power is broken. Their dissatisfaction is a small price to pay for moving out from under the thumb of their privilege and virulent violent idiocy.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42455 on: July 12, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42456 on: July 12, 2020, 07:16:08 PM »

AOC contends the skyrocketing crime rate in NYC is due to high unemployment and the “ need to find bread” for families.
This from a woman who told Jeff Bezos and Amazon to leave town and forget bringing  tens of thousands of jobs to HER Congressional District.

That is the exact argument that could easily persuade a moron and get him to repeat it as if it were his own clever idea.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #42458 on: July 12, 2020, 07:40:48 PM »

But again Trump is ripping up his health advisors guidelines as too expensive and difficult.  Well, what will be too expensive is cheaping out and proceeding laxly and having huge new outbreaks, starting with kids and plowing through their families and teachers.  Reopening state economies without following proper guidelines didn't work out so well.  The death march continues.

No data that says children spread this disease
Because as we all know children do not cough, sneeze or exhale.

I went decades without getting sick, and then my kid went to kindergarden, and she shared everything with me. She was like a virus pass-through.
I think anyone who has ever managed a staff with parents of young kids in it would find the idea that somehow COVID would not transmit through young children positively insane.

The only reason the data isn't yet unequivocal on this is that schools have been closed.   Pertinent also is that asymptomatic transmission has been established as one of the defining features of CV19.  And that scores of epidemiology studies have found that small children have very high rates of personal contact in even the most scrupulously managed situations.   To the surprise of precisely no one who has ever met small children.   

barton

« Reply #42459 on: July 12, 2020, 07:51:28 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42460 on: July 12, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »

She’s right, you know.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42461 on: July 12, 2020, 08:11:29 PM »

She’s right, you know.
Yes, of course. People who need bread decide to go out and kill minority  people.
Especially if they are taking 6 year old children for a walk.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #42462 on: July 12, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »

Puerto Rico can be rich, like Florida, and like Hawaii, and we need to make Puerto Rico a state.

I have a friend who is a doctor, and she goes on vacation to Puerto Rico, lots of people love Puerto Rico, and Puerto Rico has a great history, Puerto Rico is the oldest territory in the USA. Old San Juan is awesome.

So, here is what needs to happen, they need a big time banker, and they need to borrow money, and then they need to invest the money into clean energy for one thing, they can buy solar and wind power makers and they can generate electricity and they can sell electricity to the hotels, and to the restaurants, etc. The same way that we do here in Anaheim, we the people own the power company and we sell electricity to Disneyland, well Puerto Rico needs to do the same thing. And then as they make money the money goes into a General Fund, like here in Anaheim, and the people get to decide how they want to spend the money.

Also, Puerto Rico needs schools, build a few Universities, and cooking schools, and schools of fashion design, and other schools, music school, dance school, acting school, film school, etc, and schools which teach the Hospitality Industry, etc, like in Anaheim. Get the children of Puerto Rico to dream big dreams, and they will build a great future.

Puerto Rico also needs to set aside money to invest in Marketing, they need to market themselves as a tourist destination.

And the people need business loans to open restaurants, and resorts, and hotels, etc.

Puerto Rico can also have a giant Opera Hall where they can have concerts and stuff, and they can have concerts to raise money to help the orphans, and the widows, etc. And they can have theatres for plays, etc, etc, etc. And wonderful movie theatres, etc.

Puerto Rico just needs good bankers, and the people need to invest wisely, such as investing in public owned clean power, etc.

And they need lots of bookstores, and libraries.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42463 on: July 12, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »

She’s right, you know.
Yes, of course. People who need bread decide to go out and kill minority  people.
Especially if they are taking 6 year old children for a walk.

Ask UNO
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2829 2830 [2831] 2832 2833 ... 4288