Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2863 2864 [2865] 2866 2867 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009520 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42960 on: July 15, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »

Weiss and others at the Times have bitterly differing views on the purpose of the op-ed section of the paper. But more than that, they have different opinions on what free speech means. Weiss believes it means that well placed pundits, who have been labeled important, should be able to say anything they want from the nation’s most important journalistic platform, without any interference from the people who work at said platform. Weiss’s coworkers, in contrast, believe they should have some say in what their labor supports, and in how the institution they contribute to uses the value and reputation they help create.

The people with most access to an audience are powerful people, and they naturally are able to frame free speech as a resource mainly for those with education, influence, and large platforms. “The publisher will cave to the mob,” Weiss warns, but the “mob” she’s talking about is her own less powerful, less well connected, and notably less white coworkers. The people who work at the paper—especially the Black people who work at the paper—spoke up at some danger to their jobs, because they cared about their coworkers, their workplace, and their country. Weiss thinks their voices are a danger to free speech. But I think when workers can speak back to the powerful, we’re all more free.

https://observer.com/2020/07/bari-weiss-resignation-new-york-times-free-speech/
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #42961 on: July 15, 2020, 02:04:37 PM »

Oklahoma's Governor tests positive:

(...)
"I know that some businesses are mandating masks and that's great. But you can't pick and choose what freedoms you're going to give people."

Of course, in the case of public safety, the government at all levels picks and chooses the freedoms we enjoy all the time.

The Social Contract is predicated on limiting freedoms to those which do not harm others.   When political rhetoric tosses all that out,  you know government is corrupted.   And people increasingly stupid.   How hard is "your right to swing your arm stops at my nose" to understand?  It's not like you have to study Kant's categorical imperative.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42962 on: July 15, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »

Hi yo Silver!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-apparently-relenting-bit-wearing-masks-says-they-make-him-look-like-the-lone-ranger/

Lone Deranger.

the mask/Lone Ranger meme, memes itself.

Trump may fantasize and think of himself as the Lone Ranger, and I pity Melania for having to now call him Kemo Sabe, as she fakes the part of his faithful companion,  but for fictional American's of yesteryear who he probably fantasized about as a young lad in Queens, I think he's more, way more the: Dark night.

a really really dark night.

plus a noted by IIRC, fac, he is bat-shit crazy.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42963 on: July 15, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »

There is no need for your summation, kiidcarter8, because my position on this has been stated and restated several times now.

I will put you down for a "most schools should open, while some (and you wont specify) should not".  Its the perfect place from you to criticize from later on.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42964 on: July 15, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »

Trend most definitely UP:

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll sponsored by Likelihood of Confusion blog for Wednesday shows that 48% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Fifty percent (50%) disapprove.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42965 on: July 15, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »

How about following the actual guidelines for states opening up and for schools to reopen.  You open schools when those guidelines are achieved and it is deemed safe.
In the meantime there is online learning and the school year doesn't have to be form September to June.  if needed it can be shifted back a month or two in various states/ municipalities.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42966 on: July 15, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »

In time, you may understand.

Just to sum up - is it your position that no schools in the US should open?

In Elba where some rely on the strawman to support their poorly thought out opinions, kid's post above may be the strawiest of strawman posts ever.

One symptom of cognitive decline is the need to simplify any idea, often to where it bears little resemblance to what was presented to them.   It's why I've come to view the three stooges of Elba politics thread more with sadness than  indignation.   Same with Trump:  I'm more repelled by the vipers like Miller who drip poison into his ear than the failing man himself.

There's little reason in debating with the Troll stooges. How do you respond adequately to a moron who posts "LOL" what seems 75% of the time, because he's too inarticulate to fashion anything else? You don't.  And he's the brightest of the 3.

So I resort to mostly contempt and mocking their idiocy. 

Speaking of Stooges and

Brighto
Brighto
It makes old bodies new
We'll sell a million bottles

woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo

maybe Trump can push some Brighto as the new miracle cure.

he'll sell a million bottles

And get Birx to sell some too!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42967 on: July 15, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »

Fauci, re:  school opening:  "If you are in outbreak mode then leave it up to the local individuals"

yep

Echo4

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42969 on: July 15, 2020, 02:51:58 PM »

nah.......

Walmart has followed state guidelines til now.

And most states are now requiring when in stores, so....

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42970 on: July 15, 2020, 02:53:20 PM »

Presser at WH today re:  MS-13 gang activity

Included Bill Barr stating US will seek the death penalty in case of captured killer member of the gang.

Of course MS-13 are nice kids - just hungry.

By the way - let this be an advance answer to the next time someone here wants to post, "What has this administration done?"

Resumed having press conferences?

Resumed formal state-sanctioned murder?

Posed for pictures to make it seem like it's "tough on crime," when it is only tough on poor people committing crimes (and protesters)?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42971 on: July 15, 2020, 02:56:31 PM »

Trend most definitely UP:

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll sponsored by Likelihood of Confusion blog for Wednesday shows that 48% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Fifty percent (50%) disapprove.

Rasmussen has no trends, just random numbers within a narrow range.

Ever met anybody polled by Rasmussen?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42972 on: July 15, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »

nah.......

Walmart has followed state guidelines til now.

And most states are now requiring when in stores, so....

Yes. Tragically.

It did not take a genius to recognize that Walmart had a problem months ago.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42973 on: July 15, 2020, 03:01:06 PM »

There is no need for your summation, kiidcarter8, because my position on this has been stated and restated several times now.

I will put you down for a "most schools should open, while some (and you wont specify) should not".  Its the perfect place from you to criticize from later on.

How about you put me down for what I said, dunce.  I'm not an epidemiologist and I'm not going to draw you a graduated map of the United States broken down by county. 

Follow the fucking science. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42974 on: July 15, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »

Fauci, re:  school opening:  "If you are in outbreak mode then leave it up to the local individuals"

yep

Yep?  Trump is threatening to pull Federal funding for public schools that don't resume in-person classes, but yep to keeping it up to local municipalities?

Talk about taking a position you can criticize from later on...
Pages: 1 ... 2863 2864 [2865] 2866 2867 ... 4288