Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2875 2876 [2877] 2878 2879 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010161 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #43140 on: July 16, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »

Oh and kid still waiting for your plans for school re-openings, particularly in the nation's hot spots, (FL, TX, AZ) you seemed to demand from others.

Why would you think I would offer a plan?  Not my area of expertise or knowledge - and unlike others here ...cough...BO....I dont put forth such.

When I see the plan i will comment.  For now I like the administration's PREFERENCE to get kids IN SCHOOL when at all possible.

DEMAND, not preference, backed by threats.

And not "whenever possible," but period.

Says you.

What the fuck is wrong with you, Kid? Do you have a difficult time understanding what "Trump Threatens to Cut Funding if Schools Do Not Fully Reopen" (from July 8th, NYT) or "Trump administration, congressional Republicans eye tying school aid to reopening in next funding bill" (from yesterday, WaPo) mean?!

"This new thing from Florida and from Texas of 'we're going to open five days a week and we're going to open as normal' -- this was new in the mix and clearly a pressure campaign by the administration," Weingarten said, "because they look, frankly, at schools as if it was child care as opposed to education."
~CNN 7/14

"Trump to US Schools: Reopen or You May Lose Federal Funds"
~US News & World Reports, July 8

"Trump demands that schools reopen, with parents caught in the crossfire"
~Fox News, July 9

"We're going to very much put pressure on governors... on open schools in the Fall."
~Donald Trump, July 8

Sez me?!

Fuck you.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43141 on: July 16, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »

Trump: We want schools to be open and they will be open on time

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6171870739001#sp=show-clips

YESTERDAY.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos threatens to withhold school funding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4dtxy-Wss

YESTERDAY

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:01:41 PM by Echo4 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43142 on: July 16, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »

Biden should call on Trump to resign for all the damage he's caused.
Maybe wait until the week before the first debate ...
(though I'd be tempted to call the debates off)

Biden calling for Trump's resignation would be seen as an empty political grandstanding.

But I wonder with Trump's #s plummeting and most Americans having no faith in Trump's ability to govern or lead us in a crisis, IF Mitch Machiavellian would move on Trump, publicly imploring him to resign for the good of the country, and let VP Pence run out the clock and probably get toasted as the R's 2020 pence-hitter versus Biden.

Mitchy's Machiavellian maneuver, knifing Trump (et tu Mitchus?) sort of clears him of Trump taint, might save a R-senate, (and Mitchy's power seat) and resets the Repubs for 2022-24. With Trumps 35-40% approval ratings, barring miracles (plural), 2020 looks like a disaster for the Repubs in November. so what's the down-side a few crazy Trump tweets blasting Mitch?

just a thought 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:04:38 PM by bankshot1 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43143 on: July 16, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »

Biden calling for Trump's resignation would be seen as an empty political grandstanding.

But I wonder with Trump's #s plummeting and most Americans having no faith in Trump's ability to govern or lead us in a crisis, IF Mitch Machiavellian would move on Trump, publicly imploring him to resign for the good of the country, and let VP Pence run out the clock and probably get toasted as the R's 2020 pence-hitter versus Biden.

Mitchy's Machiavellian maneuver, knifing Trump (et tu Mitchus?) sort of clears him of Trump taint, might save a R-senate, (and Mitchy's power seat) and resets the Repubs for 2022-24. With Trumps 35-40% approval ratings, barring mircales (plural), 2020 looks like a disaster for the Repubs in November. so what's the down-side a few crazy Trump tweets about Mitch?

just a thought

Mitch could just move to reconsider the vote on impeachment...

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43144 on: July 16, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »

Mitchy's Machiavellian maneuver, knifing Trump (et tu Mitchus?) sort of clears him of Trump taint, might save a R-senate, (and Mitchy's power seat) and resets the Repubs for 2022-24. With Trumps 35-40% approval ratings, barring mircales (plural), 2020 looks like a disaster for the Repubs in November. so what's the down-side a few crazy Trump tweets about Mitch?

just a thought

That would need the House to reimpeach and IMO we're not going there.

And even if Nancy played nice with Mitch, would Mitch really want to air R-dirty laundry in public?

And there's a lot of dirty Trump/Rep laundry.

IMO a shiv is quicker and less messy.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43145 on: July 16, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »

just a thought

Nope. It could be done strictly in the Senate, no need for Nancy to get involved. Mitt could move to reconsider just on the one count he voted against, for example.

reconsider - Senate rules permit one motion to reconsider any question decided by vote, if offered by a senator who voted on the winning side. Normally a supporter of the outcome immediately moves to reconsider the vote, and the same senator or another immediately moves to table this motion, thus securing the outcome of the vote.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #43146 on: July 16, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »

It would:
1) get Biden attention and win a news cycle, while putting Trump on the defensive;
2) probably lead to Trump having some deranged reaction;
3) frame the political debate and make it clear that this whole Trump clusterfuck and FUBAR isn't normal and shouldn't be normalized.

I don't see a downside.
The more Trump looks like an overmatched loser, the better.  Giving people a novel way to think about it is beneficial.  (all those Trump may not run again articles certainly were demoralizing for the Trumpeters).  Don't let up.  Pile on.  Make sure the carcass has no vital signs, then incinerate, and bury the ashes just to be certain ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43147 on: July 16, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43148 on: July 16, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/politics/georgia-kemp-mask-mandate/index.html

Kemp decides to prevent communities from making their own decisions to require masks.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43149 on: July 16, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »

just a thought

Nope. It could be done strictly in the Senate, no need for Nancy to get involved. Mitt could move to reconsider just on the one count he voted against, for example.

reconsider - Senate rules permit one motion to reconsider any question decided by vote, if offered by a senator who voted on the winning side. Normally a supporter of the outcome immediately moves to reconsider the vote, and the same senator or another immediately moves to table this motion, thus securing the outcome of the vote.

I don't know the rules of the Senate, but it strikes me purely as a layman, that as Trump was found "not guilty" on the impeachment charges brought before the Senate, a motion to reoconsider in this case, might be viewed as double jeopardy. So a new charge would have to be brought against him.

But I leave it to legal experts and those possessing far more expertise than I will ever possess to set the record straight.

Anyone seen kid?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43150 on: July 16, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-virus-non-message-11594855509?mod=hp_opin_pos_2

Trump’s Virus Non-Message
The Navarro-Fauci spat adds to the perception of dysfunction.

President Trump’s coronavirus management ratings have been plummeting (67% disapproved in an ABC/Ipsos poll last week) and if a better public-relations plan is in the works, it’s not apparent. Wednesday’s news on this front was an op-ed by Peter Navarro, a top economic adviser, attacking the judgment of Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health. The White House formally disavowed the op-ed, but it came after the White House social-media director posted an anti-Fauci cartoon on Sunday.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43151 on: July 16, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »

just a thought

I don't know the rules of the Senate, but it strikes me purely as a layman, that as Trump was found "not guilty" on the impeachment charges brought before the Senate, a motion to reoconsider in this case, might be viewed as double jeopardy. So a new charge would have to be brought against him.

But I leave it to legal experts and those possessing far more expertise than I will ever possess to set the record straight.

Anyone seen kid?

Double jeopardy is a legal term involving criminal cases. Impeachment trials are not criminal and are only "legal" in the sense that they are not illegal. There is no double jeopardy possible.

It's not going to happen, Banks. I know that. But I also know it would fall within the Senate rules to reconsider the not guilty vote and for it to have a different outcome.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43152 on: July 16, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »

It would:
1) get Biden attention and win a news cycle, while putting Trump on the defensive;
2) probably lead to Trump having some deranged reaction;
3) frame the political debate and make it clear that this whole Trump clusterfuck and FUBAR isn't normal and shouldn't be normalized.

I don't see a downside.
The more Trump looks like an overmatched loser, the better.  Giving people a novel way to think about it is beneficial.  (all those Trump may not run again articles certainly were demoralizing for the Trumpeters).  Don't let up.  Pile on.  Make sure the carcass has no vital signs, then incinerate, and bury the ashes just to be certain ...

Its meanigless grandstanding.

Biden calls for Trump to resign"

News at 11

BFD.

Let Biden attack Trump on his stupid polices, those have legs and will resonate with the electorate.

But a call for his resgnation by his opponent strikes me as weak and meaningless.

If the Repubs want to go down with Trump thats fine with me.

But the Mitchy Machiavellian scenario offers an out.

It'll never happen.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #43153 on: July 16, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43154 on: July 16, 2020, 01:44:09 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/ezeckiel.kapepula/videos/10220990096994429/

Police and protesters.

What makes this one different? The wheelchairs.
Pages: 1 ... 2875 2876 [2877] 2878 2879 ... 4288