Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2974 2975 [2976] 2977 2978 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008839 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44626 on: July 25, 2020, 04:57:37 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #44627 on: July 25, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »

What does Ghislaine Maxwell have on Trump?

https://youtu.be/ZM3PXONHFUg
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44628 on: July 25, 2020, 05:13:40 PM »

How to help re-elect Trump:

https://news.yahoo.com/gunshots-fired-rival-militias-face-173049099.html

Dumb.

Whiteys shooting organized Black protestors has been trump’s plan all along. It’s gotten him right to where he is today.

I love your quaint and decades outdated view of “the center” and the “silent majority”. It’s truly adorable.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44629 on: July 25, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »

https://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S0002-9297(20)30200-7?utm_source=EA

Genetic Consequences of the Transatlantic Slave Trade in the Americas

According to historical records of transatlantic slavery, traders forcibly deported an estimated 12.5 million people from ports along the Atlantic coastline of Africa between the 16th and 19th centuries, with global impacts reaching to the present day, more than a century and a half after slavery’s abolition. Such records have fueled a broad understanding of the forced migration from Africa to the Americas yet remain underexplored in concert with genetic data. Here, we analyzed genotype array data from 50,281 research participants, which—combined with historical shipping documents—illustrate that the current genetic landscape of the Americas is largely concordant with expectations derived from documentation of slave voyages. For instance, genetic connections between people in slave trading regions of Africa and disembarkation regions of the Americas generally mirror the proportion of individuals forcibly moved between those regions.

While some discordances can be explained by additional records of deportations within the Americas, other discordances yield insights into variable survival rates and timing of arrival of enslaved people from specific regions of Africa. Furthermore, the greater contribution of African women to the gene pool compared to African men varies across the Americas, consistent with literature documenting regional differences in slavery practices. This investigation of the transatlantic slave trade, which is broad in scope in terms of both datasets and analyses, establishes genetic links between individuals in the Americas and populations across Atlantic Africa, yielding a more comprehensive understanding of the African roots of peoples of the Americas.

Space added by me to ease reading.

Jimmy the Greek write that?

Thank you for your cogent analysis.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #44630 on: July 25, 2020, 05:24:03 PM »

Dumb.

Whiteys shooting organized Black protestors has been trump’s plan all along. It’s gotten him right to where he is today.

I love your quaint and decades outdated view of “the center” and the “silent majority”. It’s truly adorable.

WTF are you talking about, bigot?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44631 on: July 25, 2020, 05:35:09 PM »

Dumb.

WTF are you talking about, bigot?

"Calling people racist and bigot is ineffective, but I'm going to do it, anyway," says UNO.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #44632 on: July 25, 2020, 05:37:19 PM »

According to historical records of transatlantic slavery, traders forcibly deported an estimated 12.5 million people from ports along the Atlantic coastline of Africa between the 16th and 19th centuries, with global impacts reaching to the present day, more than a century and a half after slavery’s abolition. Such records have fueled a broad understanding of the forced migration from Africa to the Americas yet remain underexplored in concert with genetic data. Here, we analyzed genotype array data from 50,281 research participants, which—combined with historical shipping documents—illustrate that the current genetic landscape of the Americas is largely concordant with expectations derived from documentation of slave voyages. For instance, genetic connections between people in slave trading regions of Africa and disembarkation regions of the Americas generally mirror the proportion of individuals forcibly moved between those regions.

While some discordances can be explained by additional records of deportations within the Americas, other discordances yield insights into variable survival rates and timing of arrival of enslaved people from specific regions of Africa. Furthermore, the greater contribution of African women to the gene pool compared to African men varies across the Americas, consistent with literature documenting regional differences in slavery practices. This investigation of the transatlantic slave trade, which is broad in scope in terms of both datasets and analyses, establishes genetic links between individuals in the Americas and populations across Atlantic Africa, yielding a more comprehensive understanding of the African roots of peoples of the Americas.

It might be likely, too, that genetics could prove the Irish came to Boston after the Brits starved them, too.

WTF is your point, Josh?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44633 on: July 25, 2020, 05:47:37 PM »

Free speech is a core principle of liberal democracy.  No one here disputes that.   You posted a story that's a gnat fart in the hurricane of what's going on in the nation.  Zzzz.
Sorry to wake you.
But the people paying Sandman millions of dollars are doing so because they mocked his right to free speech.   
The same people who righteously protect their view of speech but deny it to others.

Because Sandmann’s family has money and they had GOP donor class backing.

The paper caved because the Kentucky and National GOP were prepared to make the paper expend so many resources it would be cheaper to settle.

Don’t forget, this isn’t a defamation suit it is a fuck you to the free press and Jeff Bezos.

Bottom line Bezos is a serious bean counter because if there was any passion on his part he would have turned over the sofa cushions, grabbed some coin and buried those motherfuckers.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Nothing is as before. That might be last hurrah for the GOP for quite a while. I suspect you this “victory” by the right may be pyrrhic at best.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44634 on: July 25, 2020, 05:50:40 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2020/7/25/21337375/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-speech-misogyny-sexism-congress

There is a woman with real leadership chops. She’ll be a leader in American politics for a very long time.

Watched her floor speech on utube -- yes,  she's the real deal.   Downright inspiring.

She ain’t the only one but she is one of the most politically savvy politicians I’ve ever seen.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44635 on: July 25, 2020, 05:52:28 PM »

The Post defended its coverage, arguing it was entitled to report Phillips’s interpretation of the encounter and noting that it also reported Sandmann’s account once it was available...   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/washington-post-settles-lawsuit-with-family-of-kentucky-teenager/2020/07/24/ae42144c-cdbd-11ea-b0e3-d55bda07d66a_story.html

News organizations sometimes settle defamation claims rather than face a trial. Even with a favorable judgment at trial, the costs of defending against such a suit can be substantial.

In July 2019, a federal judge in Kentucky dismissed the Sandmanns’ suit against The Post, ruling that all of the challenged statements were either opinion, not defamatory or not about Sandmann specifically. But in October, the judge, William O. Bertelsman, reinstated part of the lawsuit, based on a motion to reconsider an amended complaint filed by Sandmann’s lawyers, allowing the case to proceed on three statements in Post articles stating that Sandmann had “blocked” Phillips and “would not allow him to retreat.”

“We are pleased that we have been able to reach a mutually agreeable resolution of the remaining claims of the lawsuit,” Post spokeswoman Kris Coratti said. Executive Editor Martin Baron declined to comment..

Doesn't quite fit Red's spun narrative.

I really don’t think the right has thought this through ‘optics’ wise.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44636 on: July 25, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »

Nothing is as before. That might be last hurrah for the GOP for quite a while. I suspect you this “victory” by the right may be pyrrhic at best.

I always find it’s a good day when the thing Red has to crow about is a child settling a lawsuit with a news paper rather than millions of America losing their jobs, their healthcare, their vote, their freedom, or their lives because of something some jackass republicans did.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44637 on: July 25, 2020, 06:12:37 PM »

Will trump win over the suburbs in the next three months?

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/25/trumps-suburban-nightmare-376823

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44639 on: July 25, 2020, 06:27:03 PM »

It might be likely, too, that genetics could prove the Irish came to Boston after the Brits starved them, too.

WTF is your point, Josh?

For an equivalence, that study would need to look at the different sections of Ireland that they came from and to look far more broadly than Boston. And it would be an interesting study to read, to some of us.  Further, it would follow on the heels of prior studies that focused solely on County Cork, while ignoring the larger population centered in Counties Clare and Kerry.

"My" point is that "this investigation of the transatlantic slave trade ... establishes genetic links between individuals in the Americas and populations across Atlantic Africa, yielding a more comprehensive understanding of the African roots of peoples of the Americas." It has a bunch of other features, beyond the general conclusion, as well.

I suspect(ed_ that some of the people here would be interested in such a thing. Your disinterest is duly noted and I won't tag it for your attention next time.
Pages: 1 ... 2974 2975 [2976] 2977 2978 ... 4288