Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008874 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44640 on: July 25, 2020, 06:33:55 PM »

Will trump win over the suburbs in the next three months?

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/25/trumps-suburban-nightmare-376823

The question to me is not "in the next three months," but "before October 3rd.

We are seeing a small exodus from our cities in response to the coronavirus. Anybody who has moved before October 3rd can register to vote in their new municipality congressional district. Will this change much? It remains to be seen.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #44641 on: July 25, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »

How to help re-elect Trump:

https://news.yahoo.com/gunshots-fired-rival-militias-face-173049099.html

Dumb.

Whiteys shooting organized Black protestors has been trump’s plan all along. It’s gotten him right to where he is today.

Who would have guessed that Donald Trump's insanity was so inspired by Charles Manson's Helter-Skelter?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44642 on: July 25, 2020, 06:40:03 PM »

https://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S0002-9297(20)30200-7?utm_source=EA

Genetic Consequences of the Transatlantic Slave Trade in the Americas

According to historical records of transatlantic slavery, traders forcibly deported an estimated 12.5 million people from ports along the Atlantic coastline of Africa between the 16th and 19th centuries, with global impacts reaching to the present day, more than a century and a half after slavery’s abolition. Such records have fueled a broad understanding of the forced migration from Africa to the Americas yet remain underexplored in concert with genetic data. Here, we analyzed genotype array data from 50,281 research participants, which—combined with historical shipping documents—illustrate that the current genetic landscape of the Americas is largely concordant with expectations derived from documentation of slave voyages. For instance, genetic connections between people in slave trading regions of Africa and disembarkation regions of the Americas generally mirror the proportion of individuals forcibly moved between those regions.

While some discordances can be explained by additional records of deportations within the Americas, other discordances yield insights into variable survival rates and timing of arrival of enslaved people from specific regions of Africa. Furthermore, the greater contribution of African women to the gene pool compared to African men varies across the Americas, consistent with literature documenting regional differences in slavery practices. This investigation of the transatlantic slave trade, which is broad in scope in terms of both datasets and analyses, establishes genetic links between individuals in the Americas and populations across Atlantic Africa, yielding a more comprehensive understanding of the African roots of peoples of the Americas.

Space added by me to ease reading.

Jimmy the Greek write that?

Thank you for your cogent analysis.

It might be likely, too, that genetics could prove the Irish came to Boston after the Brits starved them, too.

WTF is your point, Josh?

For an equivalence, that study would need to look at the different sections of Ireland that they came from and to look far more broadly than Boston. And it would be an interesting study to read, to some of us.  Further, it would follow on the heels of prior studies that focused solely on County Cork, while ignoring the larger population centered in Counties Clare and Kerry.

"My" point is that "this investigation of the transatlantic slave trade ... establishes genetic links between individuals in the Americas and populations across Atlantic Africa, yielding a more comprehensive understanding of the African roots of peoples of the Americas." It has a bunch of other features, beyond the general conclusion, as well.

I suspect(ed_ that some of the people here would be interested in such a thing. Your disinterest is duly noted and I won't tag it for your attention next time.

UNO’s indifference finally got me to go back and read the article on the premise that anything his discards likely is highly valuable and has its best bits in it, Uno being a reliable idiot.

I’m glad I did.

“ We identified a bias toward European male and African female genetic contributions across regions of the Americas using the sex-specific model for admixture,22 which assumes admixture events during the transatlantic slave trade. We observed an African female bias (African sf/sm > 1) in every region of the Americas with highest levels in northern South America (17.17; Table 1; Tables S9 and S10). We also observed a European male sex bias (European sm/sf > 1) in all explored regions except the Latin Caribbean and Central America.”

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44643 on: July 25, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »

We are seeing a small exodus from our cities in response to the coronavirus. Anybody who has moved before October 3rd can register to vote in their new municipality congressional district. Will this change much? It remains to be seen.

Trump is trying to unify the 3%ers and the CBP to stop exurbanites from registering through a campaign of disorganized violence.

It’s his chief remaining hope of success.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44644 on: July 25, 2020, 06:46:07 PM »

Trump is trying to unify the 3%ers and the CBP to stop exurbanites from registering through a campaign of disorganized violence.

It’s his chief remaining hope of success.

It will do nothing for him, personally, except maybe for 1 EV in Nebraska and 1 EV in Maine.

But it could cause greater disruption in the House, not to mention individual states' reapportionment fights.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44646 on: July 25, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »

While I've been sort of following the ongoing events in Portland, I was floored by the information I recently received from my father-in-law, Alden Roberts. It is incredibly important that people know what is happening in Portland, because it is very scary and has very real implications for our entire country.

By way of context, Alden is a general surgeon, retired as the Chief Medical Officer of a hospital in Vancouver, Washington, and just finished his term as the Chairman of the Washington Medical Commission (the state agency that licenses and oversees all doctors in the state). I share this information to emphasize that he is a community leader, a very smart, educated, and informed person, and is not one to exaggerate or spread misinformation.

Here’s what he has observed in Portland over the past few days:

"1. The protests are confined to a 2 block radius around the courthouse, and if you’re 4 blocks away, you can’t tell anything has been happening. There is nothing going on outside of that region, and Portland is functioning as normally as the Pandemic will allow. It is not burning, nor is it out of control.

2. The protesters are absolutely peaceful at the Protests that I have been part of, and with the exception of graffiti, are completely within their constitutional rights to protest. The protests involve singing, chanting, and have used “white walls” to block whites who are trying to disrupt or corrupt the protests. Yes, cursing is rather commonplace. More than ½ of the protesters are white. All are protesting for Black Lives Matter, although the entrance of the federal paramilitary force has brought out a lot of people, including myself, who are incensed at the use of unregulated federal force against law abiding citizen and against the will of the state and local governments.

3. ALL of the protesters are wearing masks to minimize transmission of CoV-2. However, as at times there are 1000 or more of us, it is hard (though not impossible) to maintain social distancing. When the federal paramilitary force is deployed, it becomes impossible.

4. The Police responded unprovoked and were brutal, but nothing like the paramilitary force. There is a court order that forbids the police to use teargas. I was not there when it was just the police.

5. At the protests I have attended, I did not witness any unlawfulness on the part of the protesters. Each time, the federal paramilitary personnel launched an apparently unprovoked attack. There have been no “riots.” The federal paramilitary force has had no training in crowd control, has no oversight, was not invited to Portland by local leadership, does not have any form of identification do not wear name badges, and wears military camo. They are heavily armed with flash-bang grenades, less-lethal bullets, pepper bullets, pepper spray and tear gas. They will pull goggles off of protesters and spray pepper spray into their eyes. They used a baton to beat a US Navy vet, broke his hand and sprayed pepper spray in his eyes because he asked why they weren’t honoring their vow to protect the constitution. During the assault, he stood still and did not resist until blinded by the pepper spray, he turned around and walked away. The “line of mothers” on Sunday was gassed and shot with less-lethal bullets for chanting Black Lives Matter. At least one was pregnant. A protester holding a sign up with both hands was shot in the head with a “non-lethal” bullet and will likely have permanent brain damage. While I have not personally seen this, there are videos of people being kidnapped into unmarked vans by the federal paramilitaries as they left the protests, held for a couple of days, interrogated, then released without charges or explanation. At this time, re-read my first two points. The protests are no threat to Portland and only encompass a 2 block area. They have been peaceful, with graffiti as the only illegal activity. They are well controlled and supported by a cross section of Portlanders. There is no reason for the federal government to be involved, and the excessive force being used appears to be nothing more than a political show of force against US Citizens by the Trump administration.

6. About 3000 protesters showed up last night (July 21); all with masks, very well behaved. Certainly no chaos, no violence on the part of the protesters. I left at 10:30, the paramilitary attacked at 12:30. I spent an hour talking to the medics. They say they are being targeted by the paramilitary personnel. They are often the first to be shot at and tear gassed. When they try to help an injured protester, the paramilitary personnel throw flash-bangs and tear gas at them (they carry gas masks). One of them was beaten, dragged away from the injured person they were treating and arrested. They are from OHSU as well as Portland Fire.

7. The Elk statue was taken down by the Police to “protect” it, but the Elk statue was a favorite of the protesters because it was uncontroversial; so they got a blow-up elk and put it where the real statue used to stand. It’s sort of a rallying point."

This should concern, if not terrify, all of us. This is an unidentified and unaccountable federal police presence attacking American citizens who are not violating any federal laws. This is literally how the "secret police" in other authoritarian regimes began. The comparison to the early stages of Nazi Germany is NOT AN EXAGGERATION anymore.

Silence is complacency. Please share this post. Please spread this information. Please get involved. Do not allow or condone this conduct by our federal government. I don't care which political party you support, this is an affront to the U.S. Constitution and the founding principals of our nation.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44647 on: July 25, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »

This is big.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/media/sinclair-pulls-fauci-conspiracy-segment/index.html

Sinclair had been ready to have all of its stations run some bogus conspiracy theory crap about Dr. Fauci.

And under pressure, they backed off!!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #44648 on: July 25, 2020, 07:31:02 PM »

I wonder why any legitimate news organization still has Eric Bolling on their payroll.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Echo4

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #44650 on: July 25, 2020, 07:50:51 PM »

Re shut it down-2 weeks ago when Trump was pushing hard on schools re-opening

Its unfortunate that common sense and the greater good oftern turns into s partisan battleground.

I think its a largely uncontested belief we all want the US (and the world) to get safely past covid-19 ASAP. And maybe with science and some luck it'll take 6-12 months.

And even then to get there will entail more sacrifices by lots of people.

Masks, social distancing, less interacting in society, the workplace etc.

some of us have done it more or less for 5 months. 

But some idiots didn't want to wear masks, or practice social distancing, because it was inconvenient to their lifestyle.

Live mask-free or die?

FUCK THEM-DIE.

But lots of people have already made lots of sacrifices for the common good. There were too many heroes, but its a damn shame a few idiots have sabotaged those months of sacrifice by thousands of heroic doctors, nurses, teachers, cops, sanitation workers, public employees who saved lives and kept shit running, while a lot of us were hiding in our homes.

And we all want kids back in school and for lots of reasons, but first and foremost it should be safe for them and for their benefit. Not for Trump's or Biden's or your IRA.

I think we have to be long-term smart and avoid what may be a short-term quick fix which soon may expose its flaws and reignite the inferno.

If you want kids safely in schools in Sept, shut the motherfucking disease down now.

And maybe you have a shot at it.

You get kids back in crowded classrooms, we know whats going to happen. The kid will get a runny nose, maybe run a fever, etc., but parents will catch it full-blown and some may get hospitalized.

But some would rather re-open the economy and schools way before they were ready to and way before the risks said it was time to.

And the results were predictable-the motherfucker exploded in Fla, Texas and Az. and we're seeing records levels of infections and hospitalizations.

I'd rather be cautious in the short-term, pay the price of a slower economy, slow the disease until vaccines or effective treatments found, and the hopefully take measured risks to try and get back to normal on a sustainable long-term basis. 

wear masks, social distance, and don't be fucking stupid.

Rant over

be well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:54:01 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44651 on: July 25, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »

Good rant, then and now.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44652 on: July 25, 2020, 08:12:22 PM »

Chicago Newspaper Coumnist Clarence Page

During the predictions segment of Friday’s broadcast of “The McLaughlin Group,” Chicago Tribune columnist Clarence Page predicted that the “dreadful” rates of homicides and violent crimes in the city of Chicago will end up declining thanks to “a productive relationship” between the city and the federal government.

Page said, “I predict that Chicago’s dreadful homicide and violent crime rate will decline with a productive relationship between the U.S. and the feds — or I should say it’s between Chicago and the federal government.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #44654 on: July 25, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »

I wonder why any legitimate news organization still has Eric Bolling on their payroll.

Soon to be running for office, I had heard.

Not sure what the latest is on that0
Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 4288