Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2986 2987 [2988] 2989 2990 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008701 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44805 on: July 26, 2020, 08:22:40 PM »

Million Dollar Red

heh

MILLIONS!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44806 on: July 26, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »

....to Boz's Sequoia-sequestered but not sesquipedalian report, a sequential reply:   

Seems like a good choice, in July.   

Re:  Ward - we've had the food deserts chat before.   Nothing stuck.   

Good governance is what you do when families are eating junk and it's setting them up for lifelong ill health... instead of twiddling your thumbs and waiting for everyone to become educated,  informed,  and in reach of a supermarket with healthy selections.  Funny no one questions regulations that protect your skull from shattering in a car,  but try to keep a pancreas from shattering and suddenly it's tyranny.   

Diabetes rates aren't high due to heredity but primarily due to stuff like "nutrition bars" that are mostly sugars and simple carbs.   Nobody's genes are designed for what's in a quick mart in a food desert.   For 99% of our evolutionary history, we didn't even eat grains,  let alone highly processed ones with most of the fiber removed.    We're built to eat roots,  shoots,  fruits,  nuts,  eggs,  fish,  game....hunter/gatherer stuff.
Quik Marts are not places Americans shop for food.
Fixed it for you. You never have had much insight into the lives of others.
You could look it up. But then you’d have nothing to say.

You could look it up, Ward, but you would never report back what you found, just as you ignore the evidence about the incidence and growth of diabetes in this country.

Okey Dokey Junior.
You look it up.
Oh wait. I see you already have.

I live in DC and my area is a food desert.

However, I have a car and since the pandemic we use Instacart.

I’m extremely fortunate and I know it.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44807 on: July 26, 2020, 08:40:09 PM »

....to Boz's Sequoia-sequestered but not sesquipedalian report, a sequential reply:   

Good governance is what you do when families are eating junk and it's setting them up for lifelong ill health... instead of twiddling your thumbs and waiting for everyone to become educated,  informed,  and in reach of a supermarket with healthy selections.  Funny no one questions regulations that protect your skull from shattering in a car,  but try to keep a pancreas from shattering and suddenly it's tyranny.   

Diabetes rates aren't high due to heredity but primarily due to stuff like "nutrition bars" that are mostly sugars and simple carbs.   Nobody's genes are designed for what's in a quick mart in a food desert.   For 99% of our evolutionary history, we didn't even eat grains,  let alone highly processed ones with most of the fiber removed.    We're built to eat roots,  shoots,  fruits,  nuts,  eggs,  fish,  game....hunter/gatherer stuff.
You never have had much insight into the lives of others.

The USDA defines “food deserts” as places where residents must travel more than a mile (1.6 km) to reach a supermarket. It’s estimated that approximately 23.5 million Americans live in such neighborhoods.

Simon said the nearest grocery store to her home is a Walmart about three kilometers away. But just because there isn’t a grocery store nearby doesn’t mean her neighborhood is void of food.

“We have a Rally’s, a McDonald’s, a [Raising] Cane’s,” Simon said, listing her neighborhood’s unhealthy fast food options, “a Taco Bell, a Wendy’s -- pretty much every chain you can imagine - and, of course, plenty of corner stores.”

She said she often craves a fresh salad rather than sugary or greasy foods. “But you can’t really get that around here.”

https://www.voanews.com/usa/pandemic-worsens-food-deserts-235-million-americans
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44808 on: July 26, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »

You could look it up, Ward, but you would never report back what you found, just as you ignore the evidence about the incidence and growth of diabetes in this country.

Okey Dokey Junior.
You look it up.

Amazing how a free market economy adapts when the government stays away.

barton

« Reply #44809 on: July 26, 2020, 08:48:52 PM »

A bit of perspective on food deserts and the proliferation of Dollar stores....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-20/when-the-closest-grocery-store-is-a-dollar-store

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44810 on: July 26, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »

Classy move:

JULIE ERTZ today stood for the national anthem prior to the NWSL Challenge Cup Final

Ertz had knelt for the anthem prior to the 6 other games

(Teammate Rachel Hill had been the lone Red Star player to stand - previously.)

You understand this isn't really important, don't you? Who stands, who sits, who kneels, who does whatever? It's just a distraction from the real issues---

Thought you were smarter than this.

Don't be so easily duped.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44811 on: July 26, 2020, 08:53:12 PM »

Washing hands to rid  Covi-19?
Good.
Don't forget thumbs and backs of hands.

And take fingers out of your nose, too.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #44812 on: July 26, 2020, 09:02:23 PM »

Okey Dokey Junior.
You look it up.

We know from decades of of unregulated business practices what they will do in the absence of governmental oversight. They'll pollute the environment, cut corners regarding worker safety, collude to limit competition, and adopt predatory pricing practices to maximize firm profitability. And in the end they wish they were sensibly regulated as their desire to be unregulated usually ends in a financial crisis, where the want goverment to bail them out of their greed and stupidity.

Business can not regulate itself adequately. They need outside  impartial regulators.

Red does not like regulations.

Red is ignorant
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:09:24 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44813 on: July 26, 2020, 09:04:28 PM »

Fuck Tom Cotton

Just fuck that guy.

https://t.co/u5QeVUlHZr?amp=1

Pull his papers & put him in a baby jail. Let him clean shit in the gulag for $1 a day.

He is a damn shame, a sack of poisons.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44814 on: July 26, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »

Ward says "I won't look it up."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/05/convenience-stores-see-record-sales-as-shoppers-buy-more-fresh-food.html

People, specifically millennials, want to keep fewer foods in their pantry and are buying more prepared foods on the go from convenience stores.

Convenience stores experienced a 16th straight year of record in-store sales in 2018, according to the National Association of Convenience Stores.
In fact, the amount of fruits and vegetables sold in the convenience stores has grown to be roughly the same as popcorn or pretzels.

Bucking past trends, produce sales in convenient stores are now about $242 million per year, according to Jeff Lenard, vice president of strategic industry initiatives at the National Association of Convenience Stores. While this is still a fraction of the $61 billion in produce sold at grocery and big box stores annually, it demonstrates new opportunities for convenience store operators.

11% of convenience store shoppers go for meal prep.

When you say "Quik Marts are not places Americans shop for food," you must mean those 11% are not true Americans, right?

"The on the go, digitally connected younger generation is driving the trend for increased visits to convenience stores. They make frequent trips to smaller stores to get just the food they need for the next couple of days."

My favorite line came from Mapquest, which had this to say about Quik Marts:

Quik Mart is a chain of more than 25 continence stores that offer a range of grocery and gift items.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44815 on: July 26, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »

Okey Dokey Junior.
You look it up.

Larry rights that he was lucky he had a car and you interpret that as the free market economy adapting.

Geeeeeeeeeez, the ignorance. It burns!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44816 on: July 26, 2020, 09:09:50 PM »

Okey Dokey Junior.
You look it up.

Unrestrained capitalism is what’s gonna have you end up inAlex Jones’ cook pot.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44817 on: July 26, 2020, 09:10:30 PM »

Okey Dokey Junior.
You look it up.

Larry rights that he was lucky he had a car and you interpret that as the free market economy adapting.

Geeeeeeeeeez, the ignorance. It burns!
Looks like you still can’t read.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44818 on: July 26, 2020, 09:11:03 PM »

Fuck Tom Cotton

Just fuck that guy.

https://t.co/u5QeVUlHZr?amp=1

Pull his papers & put him in a baby jail. Let him clean shit in the gulag for $1 a day.

He is a damn shame, a sack of poisons.

Through some last second skulduggery he is running unopposed.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #44819 on: July 26, 2020, 09:11:21 PM »

Washing hands to rid  Covi-19?
Good.
Don't forget thumbs and backs of hands.

And take fingers out of your nose, too.

Indeed.
And take a box of disposable gloves when leaving the house.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.
Pages: 1 ... 2986 2987 [2988] 2989 2990 ... 4288