Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2990 2991 [2992] 2993 2994 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008646 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44865 on: July 27, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »

So,  do I have this straight?  Hillary Clinton says racists,  sexists,  and xenophobes are deplorable, and thus she is unfit to hold public office,  but a US GOP Senator says slavery was a necessary evil and they are still  promoting him as a 2024 POTUS candidate.   

Huh.

Let me simplify it:

(Name of Democratic Party nominee) says (pick a phrase, any phase) and thus s/he is unfit to hold public office, but a (Republican presidential wannabe) says (pick a questionable phrase, any one of them) and they are still promoting him as a (pick a year) POTUS candidate.

Who is?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44866 on: July 27, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »

Two Monday night MLB games were postponed because of an outbreak of the coronavirus among the Miami Marlins.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29547211/two-mlb-games-postponed-marlins-outbreak

A Florida-based team-how surprising.

Re-opening schools should be a walk in the park!

WTF are they doing? And how is the team they played with before this series so sure that they are clean?!

They aren't sure. That is why TWO games were cancelled.
A parrot bit me.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44867 on: July 27, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »

I don't know if there is anything more GOP than their telling people not to wear masks that will save the lives of thousands of Americans because everything is A-OK, open up the Businesses (!) while they buy $14,000 worth of masks for themselves, and then lie about having purchased them:

https://www.businessinsider.com/rnc-purchase-face-masks-covid-coronavirus-trump-republicans-building-maintenance-2020-7

Pay site

No, it's not. And even if it were, just open a second fucking browser or use your phone, Kid. It's just not that difficult.

I have no access to this article.  Just an fyi

Oh, well. I guess I'm wrong. Hasn't happened since yesterday.

(W)hen the Republican National Committee in June spent more than $14,000 on ‘building maintenance,’ none of its facilities were getting a face-lift.”

Instead, the RNC purchased face masks designed to limit the spread of COVID-19, according to Insider interviews and a review of federal campaign-finance disclosures released earlier this week,

The RNC ordered the masks at a time when President Donald Trump and other prominent Republicans were refusing to cover their faces in public. The purchases reveal that Republican leaders were taking the coronavirus more seriously than they’d been publicly letting on. And "GOP leaders publicly rejected face coverings, but party leaders spent $14000 on mask purchases they described as "building maintenance."

In other words, they were more interested in face-saving than life-saving.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44868 on: July 27, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »

So,  do I have this straight?  Hillary Clinton says racists,  sexists,  and xenophobes are deplorable, and thus she is unfit to hold public office,  but a US GOP Senator says slavery was a necessary evil and they are still  promoting him as a 2024 POTUS candidate.   

Huh.

Let me simplify it:

(Name of Democratic Party nominee) says (pick a phrase, any phase) and thus s/he is unfit to hold public office, but a (Republican presidential wannabe) says (pick a questionable phrase, any one of them) and they are still promoting him as a (pick a year) POTUS candidate.

Who is?

Funny that you ask that of me, rather than of Can.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #44869 on: July 27, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »

https://politicalwire.com/2020/07/24/rnc-hid-face-mask-purchases/
RNC Hid Face Mask Purchases
July 24, 2020 at 12:27 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard

“The Republican National Committee in a new federal filing this week said it spent $14,000 on ‘building maintenance.’ In reality, it was disguising a purchase of face masks,” Business Insider reports.

“Some conservatives chafe at wearing masks, but the spending reveals GOP party leaders were taking the coronavirus more seriously than they were publicly letting on.”
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44870 on: July 27, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »

Two Monday night MLB games were postponed because of an outbreak of the coronavirus among the Miami Marlins.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29547211/two-mlb-games-postponed-marlins-outbreak

A Florida-based team-how surprising.

Re-opening schools should be a walk in the park!

WTF are they doing? And how is the team they played with before this series so sure that they are clean?!

They aren't sure. That is why TWO games were cancelled.

Yes, but I'm wondering about the folks they played in their last pre-season game.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44871 on: July 27, 2020, 12:27:52 PM »

Meanwhile...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/politics/robert-obrien-tests-positive-covid/index.html

That's the National Security Advisor, just home from overseas.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44872 on: July 27, 2020, 12:33:16 PM »

And...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/health/florida-covid-children-hospitalizations/index.html

Child hospitalizations from Covid-19 surge 23% in Florida as schools statewide must reopen

While Betsy DeVos keeps insisting that kids are "stoppers" and don't get it or transmit it.

On July 16, the state had a total of 23,170 children ages 17 and under who had tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Florida Department of Health. By July 24, that number jumped to 31,150.
That's a 34% increase in new cases among children in eight days.

And more children in Florida are requiring hospitalization. As of July 16, 246 children had been hospitalized with coronavirus. By July 24, that number had jumped to 303.

But sure, let's open up the schools! What have we got to lose?!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44873 on: July 27, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »

Tom Ridge: Trump is more worried about losing than about election fraud.

Yet another GOP voice speaking out against Trump, but in all fairness, he was opposed to Trump the last time around.

If only (a) folks had listened to him then and (b) the anti-Trump contingent in the election had stuck to their guns. (I'm talking about you, Mario and Ted, in particular.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:38:49 PM by Echo4 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44875 on: July 27, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »

As I've continued to observe of RCP is gaming their poll reporting, I've shifted more of my attention to 270 to Win's poll aggregation for the various contests:

https://www.270towin.com/2020-polls-biden-trump/

https://www.270towin.com/2020-senate-election/

https://www.270towin.com/2020-house-election/

barton

« Reply #44876 on: July 27, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »

Huh.

Let me simplify it:

Who is?

(I only see Kid's oral flatulence when it's quoted, since I have him on Iggy, but I'll offer this answer:)

Trump's base.  They are lapping up Cotton's demagogic garbage like cats on a puddle of cream.  If Der Trump loses, and is successfully evicted from the WH this fall, then the party will be looking to Cotton as a standard-bearer for their white nationalist wet dreams.  Cotton will continue to say false and terrible things, but it will be a "necessary evil."

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44877 on: July 27, 2020, 01:13:11 PM »

The District is truly sending Brother John Lewis home in style.

Timing is everything and anytime is the right time to get in #GoodTrouble

His influence on the 2020 election will be immense.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44878 on: July 27, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »

The District is truly sending Brother John Lewis home in style.

Timing is everything and anytime is the right time to get in #GoodTrouble

His influence on the 2020 election will be immense.

I am hoping that Jim Clyburn's newly renamed John Lewis Voting Rights Act flies because of timing. The renaming of the bill passed by unanimous consent. Now for the bill itself to get through the Senate (as it will fly through the House).
Pages: 1 ... 2990 2991 [2992] 2993 2994 ... 4288