Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3009 3010 [3011] 3012 3013 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008046 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45151 on: July 29, 2020, 03:49:46 PM »

SHORTLY AFTER WE REPORTED that Rep. LOUIE GOHMERT (R-Texas) had tested positive for Covid-19, we got an email from one of his aides saying this:

“JAKE, THANK YOU for letting our office know Louie tested positive for the Coronavirus. When you write your story, can you include the fact that Louie requires full staff to be in the office, including three interns, so that ‘we could be an example to America on how to open up safely.’ When probing the office, you might want to ask how often were people berated for wearing masks.”

MEMBERS OF CONGRESS arrive here from all over America nearly every week. They can’t conduct their business from afar -- fair enough. But neither can we -- journalists -- or the House and Senate floor staff, maintenance workers or anyone who has to keep this massive complex afloat.

YET, THE CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP refuses to require testing or masks for the people who come into the building each week.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45152 on: July 29, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »

Trump likely to do terrible among women voters.  Which is why Biden's promise to pick a female running mate was smart, contrary to kiid's complaints about thew horrors of it all.

I count over a half-dozen viable and credible female possibilities.

National Experience/Profile:
Kamala
Liz Warren

Midwesterners:
Klobuchar
Duckworth
Whitmer
Baldwin

of Color:
[Harris]
Rice
and to a lesser extent: Bottoms, Abrams, Demmings

Likely it's Harris and she should be a nice complement, as she's tough and can counter the GOP nonsense, making a nice contrast to Uncle Joe's good-natured politics.
I believe Klobuchar has already made her "Include me out" announcement.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45153 on: July 29, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45154 on: July 29, 2020, 04:01:51 PM »

With the ‘possible’ exception of Duckworth no midwestern pick does anything for Biden’s vote totals.

Baldwin could lock up WI, a key swing state.  Though she's the least likely.
But just having a female from the Midwest could secure states in that region.
Don't underestimate thew Someone like Me thinking.
Biden needs Michigan, Wisconsin would be very useful, Ohio is in the mix.
Last time very slim losses in MI, WI, PA cost the Dems.  Never again.

And since there is likely to be limited physical campaigning, having a Midwest Veep who could campaign regionally a bit could work.

I do think the moment calls for a black woman, but as much as that helps and revs up the Dem base it also will get a backlash that helps Trump.  Basically Trump won because the Dems put up a woman nominee.

Kamala has been my choice all along.  She'd be perfect if she was from the Midwest (or a competitive state).  After 4 years as Veep, she'd be formidable in 2024.

Anyway, I think it's impressive and a signal of progress that there were so many qualified female pols to choose from.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45155 on: July 29, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »

With the ‘possible’ exception of Duckworth no midwestern pick does anything for Biden’s vote totals.

Baldwin could lock up WI, a key swing state.  Though she's the least likely.
But just having a female from the Midwest could secure states in that region.
Don't underestimate thew Someone like Me thinking.
Biden needs Michigan, Wisconsin would be very useful, Ohio is in the mix.
Last time very slim losses in MI, WI, PA cost the Dems.  Never again.

And since there is likely to be limited physical campaigning, having a Midwest Veep who could campaign regionally a bit could work.

I do think the moment calls for a black woman, but as much as that helps and revs up the Dem base it also will get a backlash that helps Trump.  Basically Trump won because the Dems put up a woman nominee.

Kamala has been my choice all along.  She'd be perfect if she was from the Midwest (or a competitive state).  After 4 years as Veep, she'd be formidable in 2024.

Anyway, I think it's impressive and a signal of progress that there were so many qualified female pols to choose from.

Who is more Midwest than Uncle Joe?  That’s why Obama picked him as wingman.

Besides, you really think Trump can run that Midwest move again and win by 77K across three States?

Trump is screaming Law and Order but GOP will try and push Kamala is a cop!

I think folks will be surprised by how well Dems will do in the Southern burbs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:15:41 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #45156 on: July 29, 2020, 04:20:38 PM »

The world has gone crazy the Cancel Culture is hard at work destroying lives...

A friend of mine, after 7 yrs of medical school and training, has been fired for one minor mistake. He slept with one of his patients.
And now he can no longer work in his profession. Such a waste of time, effort, training and money! Sadly he is still paying on his school loans.

This just goes to show one minor mishap can ruin your life.
Thoughts for him and his family right now in this time of sadness.

He really is a great guy and a brilliant veterinarian.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

oilcan

« Reply #45158 on: July 29, 2020, 04:29:12 PM »

Hehe

oilcan

« Reply #45159 on: July 29, 2020, 04:30:41 PM »

Trump likely to do terrible among women voters.  Which is why Biden's promise to pick a female running mate was smart, contrary to kiid's complaints about thew horrors of it all.

I count over a half-dozen viable and credible female possibilities.

National Experience/Profile:
Kamala
Liz Warren

Midwesterners:
Klobuchar
Duckworth
Whitmer
Baldwin

of Color:
[Harris]
Rice
and to a lesser extent: Bottoms, Abrams, Demmings

Likely it's Harris and she should be a nice complement, as she's tough and can counter the GOP nonsense, making a nice contrast to Uncle Joe's good-natured politics.
I believe Klobuchar has already made her "Include me out" announcement.

Baldwin is a solid choice, and I would think former Team Amy folk would find much to like about her.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45160 on: July 29, 2020, 04:33:44 PM »

The world has gone crazy the Cancel Culture is hard at work destroying lives...

A friend of mine, after 7 yrs of medical school and training, has been fired for one minor mistake. He slept with one of his patients.
And now he can no longer work in his profession. Such a waste of time, effort, training and money! Sadly he is still paying on his school loans.

This just goes to show one minor mishap can ruin your life.
Thoughts for him and his family right now in this time of sadness.

<spit take!>

Ha!

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #45161 on: July 29, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »

It would be Biden again - unless he gets sick.  No way they risk a change.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #45162 on: July 29, 2020, 04:36:12 PM »

I think Harris would be Biden's AG. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

barton

« Reply #45163 on: July 29, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »

I'm liking either Rice or Baldwin atm.  I think Kamala is great,  but doesn't need veep as a springboard to any future POTUS run.  If she wobbled in debates last year,  I don't think that's damaging,  the American attention span remains of a cozy length.   And I think a ticket that's not 100 % coastal has some merit.  Which puts Baldwin ahead of Rice,  in that respect.   As for melanin,  not sure it really matters.   I'd think LGBT people can make empathic leaps to what it's like to handle discrimination.  Especially if you're LGBT in Wisconsin. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #45164 on: July 29, 2020, 04:49:22 PM »

I think Harris would be Biden's AG.

Given the new dimension Barr has brought to the AG role, maybe Tom Hagen can be Biden's consigliere.
Pages: 1 ... 3009 3010 [3011] 3012 3013 ... 4288