Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3020 3021 [3022] 3023 3024 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008074 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45315 on: July 30, 2020, 11:35:16 AM »

y'all never say y'all in New Jersey. Well, maybe in Ocean County, but still, y'all don't.

Youse is quite popular ...

Not really.
Ya, and yuzz in South Jersey.
As in Whadaya want?
Did ya see that?

Or, Whadda yuzz want? Did yuzz see that?

But they do say car, and father.
As opposed to cah and fathah.

Uh, ya is singular, youse is plural.
As in what are youse guys doing?
I lived in North Jersey for decades so probably know better than you.

Not sure about yuzz in south jersey, but it sounds like a slight variant of youse.
All my relatives down the shore were old folks when I was young, immigrants' children who spoke proper English to be American.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45316 on: July 30, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/509724-wall-street-journal-rips-trump-for-pulling-troops-from-germany

Guess RED spit out his coffee this morning.

"Beneath the din of media condemnation, it can be hard to sort the good from the bad in President Trump’s unorthodox foreign policy," the editorial board wrote. "Some initiatives scorned by foreign-policy elites have been wise, like pulling out of failing arms accords. Yet the Pentagon’s plan. ... is far from a stroke of populist genius."

The board goes on to argue that the move hurts U.S. interests in Europe while also doing little to "fulfill the cost-saving objective" Trump says he's hoping to meet. The board points to souring relations between Trump and German Chancellor Angela Merkel for the decision, claiming that Trump appears to be "undermining America’s military position out of pique."

"Moving forces south or west in the Continent is a retreat that reduces U.S. ability to surge into the theater if Russia makes a military move," the editorial board argued, listing Russian President Vladimir Putin's decision to invade Ukraine in 2014 after the Obama administration withdrew combat brigades in Germany as an example.

Agree with WSJ. Trump playing into Putin's hands, which are bigger and stronger than Donald's.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45317 on: July 30, 2020, 11:40:42 AM »

y'all never say y'all in New Jersey. Well, maybe in Ocean County, but still, y'all don't.

Youse is quite popular ...

Not really.
Ya, and yuzz in South Jersey.
As in Whadaya want?
Did ya see that?

Or, Whadda yuzz want? Did yuzz see that?

But they do say car, and father.
As opposed to cah and fathah.

Uh, ya is singular, youse is plural.
As in what are youse guys doing?
I lived in North Jersey for decades so probably know better than you.

Not sure about yuzz in south jersey, but it sounds like a slight variant of youse.
All my relatives down the shore were old folks when I was young, immigrants' children who spoke proper English to be American.

Have lived in NJ for 3 decades, now. No body says "youse".

But this discussion has reminded me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6qGwmXZtsE
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #45318 on: July 30, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »

Tulsa

Cain was among the highest-profile public figures in the United States to have died from COVID-19. A 74-year-old survivor of stage 4 colon cancer, Cain had been a business executive and the board chairman of a branch of Kansas City’s Federal Reserve Bank before moving into Republican politics and eventually becoming a presidential candidate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/former-gop-presidential-candidate-herman-cain-dies-after-battle-with-coronavirus.html?__source=newsletterbreakingnews

Think Trump will go to HIS funeral?

It's a good question - but I doubt it. I don't think he gave a fuck about Herman Cain in life.

Well, Herman hasnt denounced Trump's presidency, so he might go.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45319 on: July 30, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »

Greatest campaign ad ever, or nah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwawPMSJins
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45320 on: July 30, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »

Trump certainly trying to whip up as much fear as possible:
- riots in the cities.
- non-white folks might move into your white suburbs.
- the election might be fraudulent

And responding with fascist tendencies:
- unmarked federal troops deployed to start trouble
- maybe need to postpone the election

3 more months in which Trump can start police riots, or start a war with Iran, or demonize people of color.  Keep vigilant.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #45321 on: July 30, 2020, 11:44:52 AM »

Wiser heads prevail in Minny

The Minneapolis Charter Commission voted earlier this week to keep a police reform proposal off of November's ballot, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported. The measure would have scrapped a city requirement to maintain a police force of a size based on the city's population.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/minneapolis-officials-appear-to-backpedal-from-abolishing-police

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45323 on: July 30, 2020, 11:54:49 AM »

Since kid is concerned with wise heads, he should consider the wisdom coming from this head, because they all turned out to be falsehoods.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/07/factchecking-trumps-covid-19-press-briefing/

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #45325 on: July 30, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »

I remember Biiden back in April warning that Trump might try to move the election.   Unfortunately there's not much a potus can really do.... an expert weighs in:

“In an emergency, the president is able to do a lot of things he normally could not do, but only because he has been designated these powers by Congress in laws such as the National Emergencies Act,” said Sylvia Albert, director of voting and elections at Common Cause, a nonprofit group that advocates for eased ballot access. “But in this case, the Constitution empowers Congress, not the president, to select Election Day. No laws passed by Congress have delegated these powers to the president, even in an emergency, so Congress is the only entity that has the power to change the date of the election.”

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #45326 on: July 30, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »

“We see the Chinese Communist Party also for what it is: the central threat of our times. Our vigorous diplomacy has helped lead an international awakening to the threat of the CCP,” Pompeo said at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on the State Department's budget. “Senators, the tide is turning.”

The Trump administration has been ramping up pressure against Chinese influence across the globe since the outbreak of COVID-19, which began in China and has drawn accusations that the government covered up the seriousness of the virus until it was too late and the virus became a global pandemic.

Pompeo said that, as part of that effort, more than 30 countries and territories have become 5G “Clean Countries” in banning untrusted Chinese vendors from their 5G networks. The U.K. recently announced it had changed its stance on allowing Huawei into its networks, a move praised by the U.S.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pompeo-lawmakers-tide-turning-china

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45327 on: July 30, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »

Yep, not everything Trump does is wrong.

But goddamn has he been on a huge extended losing streak.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45328 on: July 30, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »

Fauci explains why some of us are more at risk for COVID-19 than others:

How do we get the most vulnerable people, particularly poor Black people, access to health care, access to preventative stuff? What kind of resources could we redirect?

First of all, a great awareness of the need that if you're African American and you get infected, it is more likely you're going to have a serious outcome. So we've got to just get a public awareness on the part of clinics and hospitals that you have to pay special attention to that, you have someone at a greater risk. And when you know you have someone at a greater risk, you make certain medical decisions. You may get them in the hospital earlier. So we've got to educate people on that.

The longer-term one is something that you're not going to cure overnight, and that is the economic and other conditions that African Americans find themselves in that they're not in a situation where they get a greater access to health care from a more of an economic standpoint.

But the other thing that I think we need to make a commitment that goes probably measured in decades. And that is, why do African Americans have a greater incidence of hypertension? Why do they have a greater incidence of diabetes? Why do they have a greater incidence of obesity? It's not genetic. It has to do with years and years of access to the right kinds of food, access to the right kind of health care. Those are the things that we've got to change. But that means that perhaps if there's one silver lining in this outbreak — which I hope there is always some silver lining in everything that's so challenging — is this, is to focus with a laser beam on the disparities in health that we've got to change, and it's got to change at the fundamental basic level. It's not going to be tonight or tomorrow or next week.

It's going to be over the next several years. So when people think about this outbreak, they say, "Hey, let's pay attention to this because it's another example." I went through the same thing early on in the early years of HIV, the disproportionate number of African Americans who get HIV infection. [They] are 13% of the population; 45% of all of the new cases of HIV are among African Americans. That's unacceptable. That's another example of the dis-- the unfortunate disparity of health.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dr-fauci-coronavirus-black-communities-havoc-covid-19/

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45329 on: July 30, 2020, 12:14:33 PM »

“We see the Chinese Communist Party also for what it is: the central threat of our times. Our vigorous diplomacy has helped lead an international awakening to the threat of the CCP,” Pompeo said at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on the State Department's budget. “Senators, the tide is turning.”

The Trump administration has been ramping up pressure against Chinese influence across the globe since the outbreak of COVID-19, which began in China and has drawn accusations that the government covered up the seriousness of the virus until it was too late and the virus became a global pandemic.

Pompeo said that, as part of that effort, more than 30 countries and territories have become 5G “Clean Countries” in banning untrusted Chinese vendors from their 5G networks. The U.K. recently announced it had changed its stance on allowing Huawei into its networks, a move praised by the U.S.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pompeo-lawmakers-tide-turning-china

Funny you mention China, especially in light of Trump's now stated desire to delay the fall election.

n closed-door remarks at his Mar-a-Lago golf club on Saturday, Trump praised the Chinese president’s recent power grab and said he wouldn’t mind trying it himself, according to CNN, which managed to obtain a recording. “He’s now president for life. President for life. No, he’s great,” Trump said. “And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot someday.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/4/17077642/trump-xi-china-fundraiser
Pages: 1 ... 3020 3021 [3022] 3023 3024 ... 4288