Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3048 3049 [3050] 3051 3052 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584638 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45735 on: August 02, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »

Despite so many Big Things going on, people sure like to sidetrack to minutiae.

Pavlovian.

This can help you, Larry.

There are a few benefits of the victim mentality:

Attention and validation. You can always get good feelings from other people as they are concerned about you and try to help you out. On the other hand, it may not last for that long as people get tired of it.
You don’t have to take risks. When you feel like a victim you tend to not take action and then you don’t have to risk for example rejection or failure.
Don’t have to take the sometimes heavy responsibility. Taking responsibility for you own life can be hard work, you have to make difficult decisions and it is just heavy sometimes. In the short term it can feel like the easier choice to not take personal responsibility.
It makes you feel right. When you feel like the victim and like everyone else – or just someone else – is wrong and you are right then that can lead to pleasurable feelings.

https://www.positivityblog.com/how-to-break-out-of-a-victim-mentality-7-powerful-tips/

So, it's easier to dismiss someone else's post, as soon as it takes away from those good things you've found to keep your status as a loser in tact.

What does any of this have to do with my post about crazy white people in Germany?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45736 on: August 02, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »

I don't think that magazine is an area you can control.
Sounded like a very minor distraction to me, so I skimmed the post, didn't follow the link, and am glad to say I barely caught what the issue is/was.

I also think trying to find hypocrisy or inconsistency is a losers game.
A little inconsistency or hypocritical thinking doesn't negate an argument.  A quest for purity and considering every case sounds more like law school than a useful way to live in the real world.

I just try to consume news and information that is important.  And avoid silly sideshows and minor incidents.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45737 on: August 02, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »

From that key Vanity Fair article:

Worried about the stock market and his reelection prospects, Trump also feared that more testing would only lead to higher case counts and more bad publicity. Meanwhile, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, was reportedly sharing models with senior staff that optimistically—and erroneously, it would turn out—predicted the virus would soon fade away.

And on Sunday:

Deborah Birx said Sunday that the COVID-19 outbreak is not under control in the U.S. because Americans "are on the move." 

When asked about why the U.S. has not been able to stop the coronavirus spread, Birx said on CNN’s 'State of the Union" that she’s learned through studying epidemics that health officials need a "tailored" message "on the ground."

I felt she was useless all along.
But there's been talk that she had rather optimistic models she was showing Trump and other top officials.

Now she thinks mobility is causing transmissions.  If everybody were masked up and tried to keep distance things would be different.  No idea what she means by tailored messages.

Before I thought she was useless, but seems she was more harmful.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45738 on: August 02, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »

Pavlovian.

Attention and validation. You can always get good feelings from other people as they are concerned about you and try to help you out. On the other hand, it may not last for that long as people get tired of it.
You don’t have to take risks. When you feel like a victim you tend to not take action and then you don’t have to risk for example rejection or failure.
Don’t have to take the sometimes heavy responsibility. Taking responsibility for you own life can be hard work, you have to make difficult decisions and it is just heavy sometimes. In the short term it can feel like the easier choice to not take personal responsibility.
It makes you feel right. When you feel like the victim and like everyone else – or just someone else – is wrong and you are right then that can lead to pleasurable feelings.

https://www.positivityblog.com/how-to-break-out-of-a-victim-mentality-7-powerful-tips/

So, it's easier to dismiss someone else's post, as soon as it takes away from those good things you've found to keep your status as a loser in tact.

Larry and many others here already understand your victim mentality too well. Thank you for coming clean and admitting you have this problem. I hope your work on it makes you a better conversationalist over time. Best of luck with it.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45740 on: August 02, 2020, 04:32:55 PM »

Pavlovian.

What does any of this have to do with my post about crazy white people in Germany?

Figure it our, Larry.

Begin with yourself, and work to understand that guy, and you'll start to put it together. If you're smart enough to read the words, you are likely smart enough to comprehend their meaning.

Here, this can help: https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2020/08/02
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45741 on: August 02, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »

Worried about the stock market and his reelection prospects, Trump also feared that more testing would only lead to higher case counts and more bad publicity. Meanwhile, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, was reportedly sharing models with senior staff that optimistically—and erroneously, it would turn out—predicted the virus would soon fade away.

And on Sunday:

Deborah Birx said Sunday that the COVID-19 outbreak is not under control in the U.S. because Americans "are on the move." 

When asked about why the U.S. has not been able to stop the coronavirus spread, Birx said on CNN’s 'State of the Union" that she’s learned through studying epidemics that health officials need a "tailored" message "on the ground."

But there's been talk that she had rather optimistic models she was showing Trump and other top officials.

Now she thinks mobility is causing transmissions.  If everybody were masked up and tried to keep distance things would be different.  No idea what she means by tailored messages.

Harmful ain’t the word!

“He’s  [Trump] been so attentive to the scientific literature and the details and the data,” Birx said. “I think his ability to analyze and integrate data that comes out of his long history in business has really been a real benefit during these discussions about medical issues.”

Dr. Birx interview with a Christian Broadcast Network March 20, 2020
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45742 on: August 02, 2020, 04:37:03 PM »

Pavlovian.

Larry and many others here already understand your victim mentality too well. Thank you for coming clean and admitting you have this problem. I hope your work on it makes you a better conversationalist over time. Best of luck with it.

Not a chance.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45743 on: August 02, 2020, 04:37:40 PM »

Pavlovian.

Still working hard to seem relevant? Good luck with that.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #45744 on: August 02, 2020, 04:46:18 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #45745 on: August 02, 2020, 04:54:09 PM »

Not sure I see the connection between thousands of crazy Germans and the readers of a black dating zine,  or whatever it was.   (not interested enough to scroll back)   Uno never explicitly stated his point,  and meanders off into some sort of condescending psychobabble that makes me think his intent is to bore Larry, and anyone else reading, to death.   As Bo noted:  "minutiae. "

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45746 on: August 02, 2020, 05:14:23 PM »

And on Sunday:

Harmful ain’t the word!

“He’s  [Trump] been so attentive to the scientific literature and the details and the data,” Birx said. “I think his ability to analyze and integrate data that comes out of his long history in business has really been a real benefit during these discussions about medical issues.”

Dr. Birx interview with a Christian Broadcast Network March 20, 2020

That's... telling.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #45748 on: August 02, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »

I think he meant population control, not in the Malthusian sense, but in the sense of social control.

Yeah.  He meant it in a anti-vaxxer Bill Gates 5G way. Bo was too kind.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #45749 on: August 02, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »

Most non-Whites in America roll their eyes at Candace Owens.

Its not about the most

Its about the "some" which could make a difference.

Who do you mean by "some"
Pages: 1 ... 3048 3049 [3050] 3051 3052 ... 4288