Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3064 3065 [3066] 3067 3068 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605760 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45975 on: August 04, 2020, 10:23:09 AM »

I know the President is frequently delusional, but where did he come up with the idea that he's some sort of skilled debater?  Grasp of the issues?  Can think on this feet?  Measured and calm? 

I assume Kid answers "yes" to those last three.   That should probably indicate what the actual answer is. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #45976 on: August 04, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »

And now we know where Kid is getting his bogus "chickenhawK" shit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/media/right-wing-media-biden-trump-debate/index.html

Right-wing media focuses on 'imaginary controversy' suggesting Biden won't debate Trump

Why? Because They have NOTHING else to talk about, wrt Biden! So, they are inventing shit to get themselves excited.

The political equivalent of a wet dream.

Wow.

Biden spokesperson Benningfield says today it is only Trump that has not consented to 3 debates

So it looks like - despite calls from many in his own party to evade - that three debates it will be for Joe.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #45977 on: August 04, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »

I know the President is frequently delusional, but where did he come up with the idea that he's some sort of skilled debater?  Grasp of the issues?  Can think on this feet?  Measured and calm? 

I assume Kid answers "yes" to those last three.   That should probably indicate what the actual answer is.

Trump knows that short of telling people to inject Clorox into their veins, his special brand of incompetence and cruelty has been normalized, while any slight gaffe from Biden will be amplified by both the media and of course Trump's campaign.

Trump lies and says batshit crazy shit on a daily basis, while his cultish supporters cheer wildly when he drinks a glass of water.  Biden voters will hold their candidate to a higher standard.  I think Biden will meet that standard in the debates.  He was unimpressive but fine in the primary debates, and I think those were a tougher challenge.

We will have to see how the media covers who "won" or "lost" even though you and I both know right now who that really should be on the things you mention.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45978 on: August 04, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »

(born 3000 years ago, you couldn't be Christian; born in India you'd likely be Hindu or Jain or Muslim if you had a religious impulse).

You could have been a Hindu.

You'd have missed Jain by a few hundred years.

You'd have been in the wrong millennium for becoming a Muslim, which is newer than Christianity.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:32:48 AM by Echo4 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45979 on: August 04, 2020, 10:33:54 AM »

This is quite the exchange - Trump one to one with a reporter, discussing America's death rate and being confronted on the deaths as a percentage of population.

https://www.facebook.com/axiosnews/videos/593379708209360/

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45980 on: August 04, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »

Two things:

It's a chance for Trump to reach a large audience
&
they figure Trump is well-known for saying dumb stuff, so his blunders and falsehoods are to be expected.  But Biden is supposed to present himself as a genuinely knowledgeable politician, so he has higher expectations and a higher bar to clear.  And Trump's only hope is to portray Biden as senile and too old.  Since no other attacks have stuck.

Besides it's not always easy to counter Trump's aggressive stupidity and lies.
If I were Biden in the opening statement part I would say that "
it is well known that Trump often exaggerates, distorts and lies and that Biden isn't going to spend the whole debate fact checking and correcting Trump's nonsense in real time during the debate.  But rest assured I'm (Biden) going to stick to facts and science, and plenty of folks will be ready to fact-check and correct Trump's mis-statements after the debate."

"Just know that much of what Donald Trump says is questionable or blatantly untrue, such as when he says the US has done a "very good job" dealing with coronavirus.  An opinion nobody credible shares.  Segue into how Biden is going to make testing quick and effective and provide for contact tracing to isolate and limit transmission.  With proper measures, the virus would have been largely defeated already.  I will make sure we defeat COVID-19.  Etc."
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #45981 on: August 04, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »

This is quite the exchange - Trump one to one with a reporter, discussing America's death rate and being confronted on the deaths as a percentage of population.

Yeah....

I recommend you see the entire episode - if you are a subscriber

barton

« Reply #45982 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43:07 AM »

Motherfucker...

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1290494089369026560?s=21

I really look forward to the debates.   My cat could eviscerate Trump in a debate.   

Or maybe Trump will hear a firecracker go off and snatch up a child to use as a human shield.   Anything's possible, at his level of cognitive impairment.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45983 on: August 04, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »

(born 3000 years ago, you couldn't be Christian; born in India you'd likely be Hindu or Jain or Muslim if you had a religious impulse).

I meant for those to be two separate hypotheticals.
That is, born in a different time or a different place, you'd almost certainly not be Christian because that wouldn't be a realistic option.

Born 1000 years from now, Christianity might be a faded relic nobody believes in anymore.

[fortuitously, Kinky Friedman's They Ain't Making Jews Like Jesus Anymore just kicked in on my playlist]

Anyway, the idea that you happened to be born into the one true religion seems rather implausible given all the religions that exist now and those that have come and gone.   While devout Hindus believe they belong to the correct religion, as much as Christians do.  A billion somebodys are wrong.  Almost certainly 2B.

I guess I could have made it clearer by writing:
(born 3000 years ago, you couldn't be Christian; born in India today you'd likely be Hindu or Jain or Muslim if you had a religious impulse).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:50:24 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45984 on: August 04, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »

For the past 8 months everything Trump has touched has been a huge smelly disaster.  The debates offer Trump an opening, mostly if he can bluster like mad and Biden makes a few errors or rambles on weirdly.

One thing good is that last year Trump openly talked about maybe skipping these debates.  Which provides an opening for Biden to blow off one or more.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #45985 on: August 04, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »

Motherfucker...

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1290494089369026560?s=21

I really look forward to the debates.   My cat could eviscerate Trump in a debate.   

Or maybe Trump will hear a firecracker go off and snatch up a child to use as a human shield.   Anything's possible, at his level of cognitive impairment.

The Lincoln Project Ads are impressively produced, but really, they write themselves.  And this is the thing with Trump.  You want to argue that he has provided no leadership for the country during a crisis, that he is incompetent and unfit for the job, that his focus is on self-dealing and corrupting the machinery of government to benefit himself financially and politically?  It is really not at all hard.

Trump will stumble around giving vague word salad answers and exaggerations and lies.  He'll say stupid shit about how we are all going to be killed by raging mobs, the economy will crash and oh yeah, the property values in the suburbs (!) but Biden really need not spend time debating any of these "points." 

Stick to the truth of what this country, what Americans, have had to endure over the last 3.5 years, and the argument for removing Trump from office makes itself.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #45986 on: August 04, 2020, 11:00:29 AM »

I recall when the argument re: deaths in the US from the Trump Administration was essentially well, Americans are unhealthy to begin with, so...

Yet the statistic that Trump wants to (nonsensically) hang his hat on in this interview works against that argument.  If we have one of the lowest rates of deaths proportional to positive cases, fine, but that means that Americans are actually healthier and are getting better care and we still have the highest rate of death by population. 

That actually makes this administrations efforts (or really lack of effort) worse.  Not better.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #45987 on: August 04, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »

Yeah....

I recommend you see the entire episode - if you are a subscriber

I especially liked the part where he sent good wishes to Ghislaine Maxwell again.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45988 on: August 04, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »

I also think it's not enough to run against Trump.  But also need to make the case that the GOP party is so corrupt and anti-science, that it's both Trump and the GOP who have caused this unprecedented gov't failure and epic disaster.  The GOP believes that gov't is useless and unimportant, but the truth is that good government saves lives and bad gov't kills. 

Remind folks that even during this terrible epidemic Trump and the GOP are still trying to kill Obamacare in the courts, which would take health insurance away from around 20M people, when many most need it because their jobs have ceased or they get sick.  [Insert talk of expanding Medicare here]

Connect the dots.  Don't allow the GOP to pretend that Trump is an outlier.  Remind folks that the last GOP president before this was W Bush who also crashed the economy and killed Americans in a needless war of choice.

Remind folks that recovery from the Bush Depression was slower and more painful than it needed to be because the GOP was set on obstructing President Obama every step of the way, and basically sabotaged the country for 8 years.  Make it clear that the GOP is a toxic brand, and that Biden needs a Democratic Senate to get things done [insert list here]
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45989 on: August 04, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »

I recall when the argument re: deaths in the US from the Trump Administration was essentially well, Americans are unhealthy to begin with, so...

Yet the statistic that Trump wants to (nonsensically) hang his hat on in this interview works against that argument.  If we have one of the lowest rates of deaths proportional to positive cases, fine, but that means that Americans are actually healthier and are getting better care and we still have the highest rate of death by population. 

That actually makes this administrations efforts (or really lack of effort) worse.  Not better.

And his claim about the most tests causing the most cases works against his claim, also, because if we have fewer (observed) cases, then his precious rate of deaths per case would be far higher.

But why let logic get in the way of a good fallacy?
Pages: 1 ... 3064 3065 [3066] 3067 3068 ... 4288