Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3122 3123 [3124] 3125 3126 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607919 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46845 on: August 11, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »

Former Vice President Joe Biden could be down to two contenders in his search for a running mate.

A new report from Axios details how Biden confidants believe he has narrowed his list down to Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and former National Security Adviser Susan Rice. While the report cautions that things could change, it notes that these confidants "would be surprised if he picks anyone else."

Happy to once again have nailed it

Sorry Needs will be weeping when his gal is second choice.

Heh.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46846 on: August 11, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »

Yet in the rush to paint all the protesters as Bible-burning zealots, few of the politicians or commentators who weighed in on the incident took the time to look into the story’s veracity, or to figure out that it had originated with a Kremlin-backed video news agency. And now, days later, the Portland Bible burnings appear to be one of the first viral Russian disinformation hits of the 2020 presidential campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/politics/russia-disinformation-election-meddling.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

You have to wonder how much of the bullshit you hear about "Antifa" from Trump officials (like Barr, for example) is really just laundering of Russian disinformation.  Sick thing is that someone like Barr (or Cruz in this case) is in a position to know what is and isn't true, but he spreads it anyway.

Ron Johnson is a Russian asset.

Yup.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46847 on: August 11, 2020, 04:51:14 PM »

Kind of... anti climactic.

Not to the base of the Democratic Party.

This ticket looks like America.

The drawn out drama hyped the choice. Showmanship.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46848 on: August 11, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »

Seemed the obvious and best choice.  I like it.

I think in terms of toughness and tartness and campaigning, she's a good counter-balance to Biden.  And of course there's the youth, gender and color balance as well.  And Kamala makes a nice contrast to Pence.

In policy terms, I'm not terribly excited.  But that's mostly due to centrist Biden, with Harris being somewhat a policy cipher.  I guess Harris blunts Trump attacks about Biden/Dems being anti-police.

I think this was the smart and somewhat obvious choice.  I was willing to drop money on Harris, but kiid never gave me the betting line ...

This was the logical choice.

For the Kamala is a cop crowd:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/08/10/kamala-harris-progressive-pioneer-san-francisco-da-column/3334668001/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46849 on: August 11, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »

I've said before that a huge responsibility of the VP will be rooting out the left-over corruption and malign forces that seeped into government during the Trump era and ripping it out.  Harris brings energy and know-how to that task.  A good pick focuses on Governance. 

Would like to see Warren as part of that effort.  Maybe as AG.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46850 on: August 11, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »

I've said before that a huge responsibility of the VP will be rooting out the left-over corruption and malign forces that seeped into government during the Trump era and ripping it out.  Harris brings energy and know-how to that task.  A good pick focuses on Governance. 

Would like to see Warren as part of that effort.  Maybe as AG.

We know how Republicans like to project.  When they talk about the Deep State, what they are really talking about are their intentions.  Trump is going to be like a defeated general bombing the bridges on his retreat, leaving government even more broken than it is right now.  And that is saying something.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #46851 on: August 11, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »

Attacking a smart black woman will play very well to 35-40% of the electorate.

Fuck the deplorables

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #46852 on: August 11, 2020, 05:19:16 PM »

Kind of... anti climactic.

Not to the base of the Democratic Party.

This ticket looks like America.

The drawn out drama hyped the choice. Showmanship.

I don't know if it was intentional, but the drawn out nature, and it really that drawn out, gave some VP-national exposure to some women who otherwise would not have accrued that currency (Bass, Whitmer, Duckworth, Demmings, Abrams, Bottoms) and might be helpful in the future.

barton

« Reply #46853 on: August 11, 2020, 05:22:40 PM »

Good pick.   And yes,  anticlimactic.

I feel badly for Mike Pence

Heh.   (i suspect the gop base will view Kamala as "vicious" when she shreds him in a veep debate)

barton

« Reply #46854 on: August 11, 2020, 05:32:31 PM »

The only vpotus candidate whose childhood included attending both a Baptist church and a Hindu temple.   Also,  JMO, the best looking vpotus candidate ever.   Though I'll admit Hubert Humphrey had very pinchable cheeks.   

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #46855 on: August 11, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »

Good choice. Could be youth of the future. California is a hot mess but it is not her fault. Science over faith and emotions.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46856 on: August 11, 2020, 06:03:18 PM »

Katie Porter for the call up to Senate if we have a United States in 2021 because we send the trumpists packing.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #46857 on: August 11, 2020, 06:03:57 PM »

The only vpotus candidate whose childhood included attending both a Baptist church and a Hindu temple.   Also,  JMO, the best looking vpotus candidate ever.   Though I'll admit Hubert Humphrey had very pinchable cheeks.
And she sews up the electoral vote in California!

Other than that Harris’ campaign skills on a national scale are flops. She entered the democrat Nomination race in January of 2019 and was tabbed a front runner but dropped out before Christmas with a whopping 3 per cent in popularity and almost an empty chest of campaign money .  Her one national “ moment” was criticizing Joe Biden for  opposing school busing in the 70’s, an issue most voters today could care less about  ( and most people back then also opposed).

She picked the wrong side in the Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings and the Trump Impeachment trial( bitterly) and by doing so is likely to fire up the GOP and independent voters much more so than the democrats. 

Even her tough stances on crime and punishment as a prosecutor will not inspire black voters.

But Joe had no choice since he wed himself to a runningmate that had to be female and black(and was reminded yesterday that to alter his priorities would be fatal to his campaign)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #46858 on: August 11, 2020, 06:10:30 PM »

Has Red ever had an original thought in his life?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #46859 on: August 11, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »

Has Red ever had an original thought in his life?
I cited facts.
Not thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 3122 3123 [3124] 3125 3126 ... 4288