Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605637 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #48765 on: August 29, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »

...as did others

And this doesn't excuse those who assaulted him.

SMERCONISH very nicely played it down the middle.  Here is what we know - and now the legal system will sort it out

Why is that name in all caps?   Is it an organization or government agency?

Michael A. Smerconish is an American radio host and television presenter, newspaper columnist, author, and lawyer. He broadcasts The Michael Smerconish Program weekdays at 9:00 a.m. ET on SiriusXM's POTUS Channel, and hosts the CNN and CNN International program Smerconish at 9:00 a.m. ET on Saturdays.

Still can't tell a rhetorical question, huh?  I know who Smerconish is.   

Figures the All Caps poster wouldn't get the point about acronyms.
LOL!

IOW, he still doesn't get the point about acronyms.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #48766 on: August 29, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »

That's been my argument/fear all along: I think there are lots of embarrassed Trump voters out there.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48767 on: August 29, 2020, 01:01:08 PM »

By the time Kid is through with this, he'll be hosting a parade for Rittenhouse. It won't cost him much as he still has the supplies from the George Zimmerman parade.

Kid has already name a square in Philly after Rittenhouse.
Kid can hold his rally there.

Let's keep kid's "heroes" out of Philly. They wouldn't last ten minutes with that crap.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #48768 on: August 29, 2020, 01:04:25 PM »

Pogroms

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1873-colfax-massacre-crippled-reconstruction-180958746/

Everyone should read more about the Reconstruction Era and how that led to JIm Crow and the faux bullshit about "Southern heritage".

They'd understand this country a lot more.

Recommend reading this book: Redemption: The Last Battle of the Civil War by Nicholas Lemann

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48769 on: August 29, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »

That's been my argument/fear all along: I think there are lots of embarrassed Trump voters out there.

It must be quite embarrassing to not get jokes about acronyms.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #48770 on: August 29, 2020, 01:16:43 PM »

So, how many of you live in a sundown town?

And what are you doing about it?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48771 on: August 29, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »

Fox News: Study suggests 2020 polls may be missing 'shy' Trump voters.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/study-suggests-polls-could-be-missing-shy-trump-voters?cmpid=prn_newsstand
Interesting.  Most news organizations do not go to such lengths to argue that the methodology of their own poll is unsound.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #48772 on: August 29, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »

Gays & Immigrants not getting much love in the poll above.

Whoah to the gay immigrants!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48773 on: August 29, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »

Despite the objections of his estate, Leonard Cohen’s “The Future” was a very apt choice for theme song to the trump-Putin 2020 invasion campaign.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #48775 on: August 29, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »

OTOH,  there are plenty of libs who are call screeners like me,  who just never answer the phone unless they know the caller.  I know some others like that.   So I never get polled.   

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #48777 on: August 29, 2020, 03:45:52 PM »

I've been trying to keep up with the Belarus protests as that may or may not be my next vacation, whenever international travel is a thing again.

Was encouraging when many state-owned factories went on strike, since they used to be a big source of support for Lukashenko.  Surprising when many at the state-owned TV station walked off the job in protest solidarity.

The real wildcard is what will Putin do or will Lukashenko fall back on Putin's help if he gets totally cornered.  Putin completely thinks of Belarus as Russian, and it provides a significant land buffer form the rest of Europe.  Hard to see Putin just allowing a pro-Western gov't popping up in Minsk.  For a couple years there had been rumors that Putin wanted to confederate Belarus with Russia and Putin would be the leader on the union (thus skirting Russian term limits, which he just constitutionally did away with a couple months ago).  Putin's already raised gas prices to market rates removing the huge subsidies Belarus formerly enjoyed (and was allowed to sell some of the gas for profit).  Faced with loss of power Lukashenko might agree to some union with Russia in exchange for Russia stamping out Belarus opposition.

Anyway, that's likely more Belarus than anyone here wanted.
Fraudulent election results triggered this whole uprising.  The opposition candidate  Svetlana Tikhanovskaya officially won around 12% to Lukashenko's 80%.  She's a housewife and former English teacher who ran only because her husband had been thrown in jail and not allowed to run.  She's been quite brave and outspoken, but had to flee to Lithuania. Just someone who steps into a historic moment and is up for the challenge.  One result is that women have been a major opposition/protest force in macho male-dominated ex-Soviet culture.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 03:48:23 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #48778 on: August 29, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »

Women have been a major opposition/protest force here as well. Thank God, for without them we’d have very little left of our country.

From Sally Yates to Mary Trump, Lady Liberty is finding her avatars against the mad diaper king wannabe.

http://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/08/29/trump-niece-rnc-reaction-404676

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 4288