Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3269 3270 [3271] 3272 3273 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604075 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: The man had disarmed himself, but they shot him anyway
« Reply #49050 on: September 01, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »

When deputies tried to stop the man, he dropped his bike and ran, with deputies in pursuit, Dean said. Deputies again tried to make contact with the man, and Dean said he punched a deputy in the face. The man then dropped a bundle of clothes he’d been carrying and they spotted a black handgun in the bundle, at which point both deputies opened fire, Dean said.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. Police say the handgun was recovered and no deputies were injured.

Family members at the scene identified the dead man as Dijon Kizzee, 29, CBS-Los Angeles reported.

Protesters gathered demanding answers, and more than 100 people marched to a sheriff’s station on Imperial Highway. Some said they didn’t think the shooting was justified while others chanted, “Say his name” and “No justice, no peace” the Times reported.

Arlander Givens, 68, lives in the neighborhood. He questioned why deputies fired at a man who, according to the sheriff’s official, wasn’t holding a weapon.

“If he reached down to grab it, that’s different,” Givens told the Times. “But if it’s on the ground, why shoot? That means he was unarmed.”   

https://apnews.com/861957b3727a6bd444627454981332ca

“If he reached down to grab it, that’s different,” Givens told the Times. “But if it’s on the ground, why shoot? That means he was unarmed.”

Supposition.

Need the video.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #49051 on: September 01, 2020, 11:35:03 AM »

"University of Alabama tells you of all their COVID cases - but what they don't tell you is the number of hospitilizations and the number of deaths - which I guarantee are ZERO"

-  Jesse Waters, The Five, FOX NEWS, Monday 8/31
Jesse Waters, one of the great intellectuals in this nation, GUARANTEES IT!
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49052 on: September 01, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »

"University of Alabama tells you of all their COVID cases - but what they don't tell you is the number of hospitilizations and the number of deaths - which I guarantee are ZERO"

-  Jesse Waters, The Five, FOX NEWS, Monday 8/31

And how does Jesse Waters guarantee us that, pray tell?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49053 on: September 01, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »

1000 known cases at Univ of Alabama Tuscaloosa.
Between students, professors and university staff, I'd say there's good likelihood some will need to be hospitalized.  But the issue is how many people those 1000+ are spreading it to others.  And then in that larger outbreak the virus will find it's way to elderly or people with health issues who may die or need to be hospitalized.  And some young people get hit hard by the virus, and there's no doubt obese students or other with health issues.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49054 on: September 01, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »

Hong Kong providing mass testing.  Hoping to test 5M or more of the 8 HK residents in the next 2 weeks.

Hong Kong’s worst outbreak in early July was blamed in part on an exemption from quarantine requirements for airline staff, truck drivers from mainland China and sailors on cargo ships.

At its peak, Hong Kong recorded more than 100 locally transmitted cases a day, after going weeks without any in June.

The outbreak has slowed, with the city reporting just nine cases on Monday, the first time in two weeks that daily infections had fallen to single digits. However, the government and some experts say that community testing can help detect asymptomatic carriers to further stop the spread of the virus.

This is how a responsible gov't acts.
They are basically trying to find asymptomatic people to get them quarantined and break any silent transmission chains.

100 cases a day and they take strong action to stop CV-19 from going viral.
Containment strategies.  You don't wait for big outbreaks, you strong action as early as possible.

Conn Sen is right, the virus should have been ended by now.  I laid out an alternative timetable using China's timeframe as a model.  The virus just isn't here now, life is normal.  I try to keep a mask with me in case I need to take the subway or just in case/to be considerate.  But really I haven't worn a mask in almost 2 months.  Take almost no precautions the past month+ except that I avoid the subway more than usual.  That's what the US could be entering.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49055 on: September 01, 2020, 11:50:43 AM »

Elderly people being around college students is unnecessary.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49056 on: September 01, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »

Conn Sen is right, the virus should have been ended by now.  I laid out an alternative timetable using China's timeframe as a model.  The virus just isn't here now, life is normal.  I try to keep a mask with me in case I need to take the subway or just in case/to be considerate.  But really I haven't worn a mask in almost 2 months.  Take almost no precautions the past month+ except that I avoid the subway more than usual.  That's what the US could be entering.

I guess we only have a different strain of the virus than China had when it is convenient for you to say so.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49057 on: September 01, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »

Elderly people being around college students is unnecessary.

Yeah!

Screw the ones who live with grandparents or whose fathers were 50 when they were born.

And screw the faculty members who are not retired when Kid thinks they should be.

And none of that riding public transportation, either!

Unnecessary, I tell you!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49058 on: September 01, 2020, 12:00:12 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49060 on: September 01, 2020, 12:05:23 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49061 on: September 01, 2020, 12:08:03 PM »

Screw the ones who live with grandparents or whose fathers were 50 when they were born.

Pretty sure they don't have grandmas living in U of A dorms.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #49062 on: September 01, 2020, 12:14:56 PM »

Seems clear that kiidcarter8 would have benefited from attending a college or a University, and not only because he wouldn't be making the dumb argument above.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #49063 on: September 01, 2020, 12:16:01 PM »

Seems clear that kiidcarter8 would have benefited from attending a college or a University, and not only because he wouldn't be making the dumb argument above.

A consensus is building among public health experts that it’s better to keep university students on campus after a Covid-19 outbreak rather than send them home as many are doing.

It’s easier to isolate sick or exposed students and trace their contacts if they stay put, said Ravina Kullar, epidemiologist and spokesperson for Infectious Diseases Society of America. Sending students home risks exposing other people there as well as along the way, and makes contact tracing all but impossible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-30/colleges-with-covid-outbreaks-advised-to-keep-students-on-campus

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49064 on: September 01, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »

I guess we only have a different strain of the virus than China had when it is convenient for you to say so.

Factor that in if you think it's needed.  Even if the strain in the US is more contagious or more easily transmissible, we have known for 100 years how a respiratory virus is spread.  Cover your important breather holes. 

Somehow Trump and the GOP wasn't willing to acknowledge the benefits of mask wearing until Aug 1, and even worse made face masks a political issue.  Along with all the other blunders such as the botched test rollout, downplaying the threat, reopening too soon (under Trump's direction), and a total lack of a coordinated national strategy, etc.  Just failure after failure led to the virus still rambling along, death and hospitalization tolls climbing, when instead we could have been safely reopening schools and offices by now.  Most of Asia and Europe (same strain as US) have things fairly under control.  The US still doesn't. Awful.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 12:25:20 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 3269 3270 [3271] 3272 3273 ... 4288