Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3276 3277 [3278] 3279 3280 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1611318 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #49155 on: September 02, 2020, 02:29:38 AM »

In 1950's 70% of American women lost their virginity in cars.
No "Me Too", "all men are predators" back then.

Citation? Evidence? Relevance?

And... there's no "all men are predators" now, either, except in the heads of people like you.
(/quote)₩)

English comedienne.
Female journalists are writing "not all men"...why are they writing that?
Yes, exactly.

Been taking formatting lessons from Ward?

Bad choice.

And they're writing that because they mean "not all men," but the thing being said of men was not that they are all predators.

Tablets are not desktops.

"All men" was being accused.
Anyway "me too" was a failure...liars in the mix.
Go woke, go broke.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49156 on: September 02, 2020, 03:05:53 AM »

In 1950's 70% of American women lost their virginity in cars.
No "Me Too", "all men are predators" back then.

Citation? Evidence? Relevance?

And... there's no "all men are predators" now, either, except in the heads of people like you.
(/quote)₩)

English comedienne.
Female journalists are writing "not all men"...why are they writing that?
Yes, exactly.

Been taking formatting lessons from Ward?

Bad choice.

And they're writing that because they mean "not all men," but the thing being said of men was not that they are all predators.

Tablets are not desktops.

Anyway "me too" was a failure...liars in the mix.

But whatever, Bambi. You've made it clear that you are a sexist prig.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #49157 on: September 02, 2020, 07:34:47 AM »

KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

barton

« Reply #49158 on: September 02, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/09/academics-are-really-really-worried-about-their-freedom/615724/

This does seem to be a genuinely troubling sort of cancel culture.    There must be free speech and discourse,  especially in academia.   You can't have a healthy clash of ideas if you simply dismiss some of them preemptively.   

The Left,  traditionally, has championed free speech.   They must not lose this part of their advocacy.

barton

« Reply #49159 on: September 02, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

I posted on the eviction ban over in Home thread.   Still trying to resuscitate some useful threads where we could spread out our topics a little.   

I'm surprised no one commented on the story about Rosenstein,  over in National Security.   Do posters not enter Elba via the homepage?   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #49160 on: September 02, 2020, 11:52:56 AM »

Rents in Silicon Valley are so expensive now that workers etc are living in vans and cars on the streets and in company carparks.

Been watching said workers etc on Youtube detailing their lives, and taking viewers thru their vans, RVs etc.
If I earnt $80,000pa, and rents were $50,000pa, I'd be living in the company's carpark too.

"The working poor."

California needs to have hostels like in Rome, Italy, where you can take a nice hot shower, and where you can sleep in a nice comfortable bed, for $15 per night. Bed and breakfast type places are also great, and group homes. And of course there are rooms for rent on Craig's List.

And new housing is being built big time.

Anaheim is going to give out permits for 50,000 new housing units according to our council member, and big time construction is going to happen in the Platinum Triangle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_Triangle,_Anaheim

California is building like crazy. And that is good, because California needs the jobs. And in California many of the workers are union workers, so they get paid fair and they get treated well, I fully support joining a union and getting good pay.

There are also charity groups which build houses for the homeless, there is Habitat for Humanity, and Homeboy Industries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_for_Humanity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeboy_Industries

Much of the new housing is for the senior citizens, retirement housing is high on the list. Getting the homeless people who are over 50 into housing is important. The young people can work helping to get the old people into housing.

It costs $1,500.00 per month for a one bedroom apartment in Anaheim. With a swimming pool.

We are making progress on helping the homeless, and if you end up homeless in the OC you just dial 2-1-1 on your cell phone and there is a 24 hour hot line to help you, they will help if you are homeless, they will help if you are suffering from domestic violence, and they will help if you are out of food and need groceries, etc, it is a good hot line.

We also have a new Wellness Center where the homeless can get help.

https://bewelloc.org/

Orange County could be paradise, but we have to work hard to make things better.

And we have Disneyland. I want to get an annual pass for Disneyland when they reopen. If I am going to live right by Disneyland then I want to be able to go to Disneyland. And Disneyland helps the homeless in Anaheim, and also the City owns the electric company and we sell electricity to Disneyland and some of the money goes to help the homeless. Disney also donates playground equipment for the parks, etc.

We also need to build a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

Salute,

Tony V.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #49161 on: September 02, 2020, 11:56:08 AM »

I posted on the eviction ban over in Home thread.   Still trying to resuscitate some useful threads where we could spread out our topics a little.   

I'm surprised no one commented on the story about Rosenstein,  over in National Security.   Do posters not enter Elba via the homepage?

Bart-most of us in this small village are creatures of habit, and we usually gather in the town square to discuss matters of the day. I generally poke my nose into just a few forums to see if something of interest is brewing.

I think of the Trump forum as a generic broad politics forum. And as to the Rosenstein non-investigation of Trump and Russian ties, IMO this is probably a better forum for it anyway. YMMV. But IMO it will get more traction than Rosensteining it in another lesser read part of our little village. And it will more likely get traction if you give a brief synopsis and your take. Just my two scents.

FYI politics broke out in the Knicks forum a couple of days ago!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49163 on: September 02, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »

Mostly, I suspect they don't enter but just hit refresh.

I haven't looked at it yet, though I know it's there, because this is the first full week of the term and I have 4 courses to get off the ground that I'm teaching on top of my normal load of clients plus my course for elders that started last week. In addition, I attempt to manage about 16 more courses, most of which are also beginning this week.

So... a tad swamped for reading or writing time.

I will have a look. And I had seen the CDC stepping back into the eviction game, but am unsure of the impact of that - even with Current Events as one of my courses, there is only so much time to read when there is soooooo much news to set up for the week's session!

If you'd like a glimpse of what we do in one of those, I would be happy to PM you today's list.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #49164 on: September 02, 2020, 12:49:16 PM »

This remains no witch hunt. Did you not read the NY Times piece on this, Kid?

Nope

This era's Times is synonymous with witch hunt.

So what if what they were printing were public docs.

Got it. "I've already made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts."

Michael Cohen testified to Congress under oath that Trump commits bank and tax fraud.  This was likely what tipped off the NY AG.

Now I'm sure kiidcarter8 will say that Cohen was lying despite his being under oath and really having no reason to add more charges to Trump's ledger.  And I'm sure kiidcarter8 will say that the NY AG is pursuing this further despite finding no predicate behind their investigation (I'm sure we know how he feels about James.)  But kiidcarter8 is in a cult, and so there is no reason to care what he thinks.

Any patriotic American has the right to know who is paying their President.  All the more so when it is a "president" who continues to profit from his global businesses.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49165 on: September 02, 2020, 01:04:22 PM »

I still want to know which staffer is baby birding post-stroke trump.

Is it Steven Miller or Chad Wolf?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49166 on: September 02, 2020, 01:09:09 PM »

https://www.acluga.org/sites/default/files/georgia_voter_roll_purge_errors_report.pdf

Yes, Georgia illegally ditched 200,000 people from the voter rolls.

So surprised.

oilcan

« Reply #49167 on: September 02, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »

Bart-most of us in this small village are creatures of habit, and we usually gather in the town square to discuss matters of the day. I generally poke my nose into just a few forums to see if something of interest is brewing.

I think of the Trump forum as a generic broad politics forum. And as to the Rosenstein non-investigation of Trump and Russian ties, IMO this is probably a better forum for it anyway. YMMV. But IMO it will get more traction than Rosensteining it in another lesser read part of our little village. And it will more likely get traction if you give a brief synopsis and your take. Just my two scents.

I do sorta like the idea of spreading the political chats out a little bit.  Some days there are so many topics injected here in a short period that it's a bit much and things gets lost in crosstalk. 

I'm sure there's political chat over in Sports, given what's going on the past few years.  Will have a look. 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49168 on: September 02, 2020, 01:14:37 PM »

In today's episode of "just a few apples," we get the sequel to the additional charges against the former head of the Boston Police Union of 4 more rapes of children:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/read-the-indictment-9-boston-cops-arrested-for-embezzling-ot-funds/2188070/

Good thing it's just a few bad apples or imagine how many cops would be getting arrested!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #49169 on: September 02, 2020, 01:26:11 PM »

I do sorta like the idea of spreading the political chats out a little bit.  Some days there are so many topics injected here in a short period that it's a bit much and things gets lost in crosstalk. 

I'm sure there's political chat over in Sports, given what's going on the past few years.  Will have a look.

I think having dedicated forums is fine, but in this small community where there are at most about a doen or so posters do you need several political forums?  I think segmenting like that narrows discussions. Again IMO that Rosenstein-Trump non-investigation fits perfectly here. 

and the knicks political discussion is a generic 2020 election discussion, which would fit here, but just like in real life if a topic pops up in the kitchen, you chat about in in the kitchen, or maybe the dining room, but not necessarily going to the basment or attic to rant about Traitor Trump or Sleepy Joe.
Pages: 1 ... 3276 3277 [3278] 3279 3280 ... 4288