Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1611620 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #49170 on: September 02, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »

Kennedy has conceded.

Carter will win the nomination.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49171 on: September 02, 2020, 01:39:55 PM »

Another alternative scenario that the US failed to have:

Thailand has sustained relatively light health damage from the pandemic, even though in January it was the first country outside China to confirm a case. But its economy has been devastated by the absence of foreign tourists, who are banned from entry, and by a drop in exports.

Thai health authorities reported eight new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, all in people arriving from abroad, bringing the country’s total to 3,425, including 58 deaths.

Thailand hit 100 days with no local virus transmissions.
The country’s last locally transmitted case was confirmed on May 24

More evidence that transmission isn't hard to stop/contain, especially if you start early.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #49172 on: September 02, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49173 on: September 02, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »

https://www.newsweek.com/mcconnell-washington-dc-puerto-rico-statehood-democrats-1528873

McConnell Warns D.C. and Puerto Rico Statehood Part of Democrats' 'Radical' Agenda

http://www.pr51st.com/republican-party-platform-puerto-rico/

Republican Party Platform Statement on Puerto Rico

For decades the Republican Party has promised Puerto Rico that when it votes for statehood the GOP would support admission as a State of the Union. Well, in 2012 the voters chose statehood and in 2016 the Republican Party has kept its promises by declaring full support for Puerto Rico’s admission as the 51st State in its platform.

Those radical dems!

‘Radical Dems’ are just following the playbook of the Grand Old Party

In 1889 and 1890, Congress added North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Washington, Idaho, and Wyoming—the largest admission of states since the original 13. This addition of 12 new senators and 18 new electors to the Electoral College was a deliberate strategy of late-19th-century Republicans to stay in power after their swing toward Big Business cost them a popular majority. The strategy paid dividends deep into the future; indeed, the admission of so many rural states back then helps to explain GOP control of the Senate today, 130 years later.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/when-adding-new-states-helped-republicans/598243/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:04:18 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49174 on: September 02, 2020, 02:29:39 PM »

In today's episode of "just a few apples," we get the sequel to the additional charges against the former head of the Boston Police Union of 4 more rapes of children:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/read-the-indictment-9-boston-cops-arrested-for-embezzling-ot-funds/2188070/

Good thing it's just a few bad apples or imagine how many cops would be getting arrested!

Sure sheds a bad light on cops

barton

« Reply #49175 on: September 02, 2020, 03:19:08 PM »

I posted on the eviction ban over in Home thread.   Still trying to resuscitate some useful threads where we could spread out our topics a little.   

Bart-most of us in this small village are creatures of habit, and we usually gather in the town square to discuss matters of the day. I generally poke my nose into just a few forums to see if something of interest is brewing.

I think of the Trump forum as a generic broad politics forum....

I do sorta like the idea of spreading the political chats out a little bit.  Some days there are so many topics injected here in a short period that it's a bit much and things gets lost in crosstalk.....

I think having dedicated forums is fine, but in this small community where there are at most about a dozen or so posters do you need several political forums?  I think segmenting like that narrows discussions. Again IMO that Rosenstein-Trump non-investigation fits perfectly here. 

Thanks,  I'll post here, and take your point about narrowing chats.   Though narrowness in the sense of fewer digressions about starting a vineyard or Australian feminists might be okay.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49176 on: September 02, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

I'm hoping the Belarus sub-thread can get rocking ...

Southeast Wisconsin is by some measures the most racially segregated region of the country, and the economic conditions for Black residents in this region rank among the worst in the country in a number of metrics.

A study published in July by Marc Levine, a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, laid out a sobering list of statistics about the status of Black residents in the region in 2020.

"On almost all of the indicators... from poverty to employment to general income trends, to income inequality, incarceration trends, school segregation levels — Black Milwaukee ranked either the worst or next to worst among the nation's fifty largest metropolitan areas," Levine says. "And in fact, on most indicators that I've looked at, the status of the Black community in Kenosha is actually slightly worse than Milwaukee."

Back in the late 80's/early 90's there were 5 cities that sociologists dubbed hyper-segregated.  Milwaukee, Chicago, Newark NJ and I'd have to look up the other two (Detroit probably).  I assume bad and aggressive policing will correlate with segregation, concentrated minority areas and poorer minorities.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #49177 on: September 02, 2020, 03:48:28 PM »

If I was going to produce films at Cinecitta in Italy right now, I would do "The Count Of Monte Cristo" as a mini-series for Netflix and at the end of the book it leaves it open for more stories so it is possible to keep it going.

And then there is Shakespeare, I could produce "King Lear" with Robert De Niro as King Lear. That could be done at any studio. I wanted to do it with Brando before he died, and I was crushed when Brando died.

It would be cool to produce some love stories too.

But, I need to make one film here in California in order to get started, or sell it and let someone else make it, the thing is that I need to turn my script into money to get started on.

We will see what happens.

Salute,

Tony V.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49178 on: September 02, 2020, 03:53:03 PM »

Better off with a pilot for a series these days, Tony.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #49179 on: September 02, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »

I'm hoping the Belarus sub-thread can get rocking ...

Southeast Wisconsin is by some measures the most racially segregated region of the country, and the economic conditions for Black residents in this region rank among the worst in the country in a number of metrics.

A study published in July by Marc Levine, a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, laid out a sobering list of statistics about the status of Black residents in the region in 2020.

"On almost all of the indicators... from poverty to employment to general income trends, to income inequality, incarceration trends, school segregation levels — Black Milwaukee ranked either the worst or next to worst among the nation's fifty largest metropolitan areas," Levine says. "And in fact, on most indicators that I've looked at, the status of the Black community in Kenosha is actually slightly worse than Milwaukee."

Back in the late 80's/early 90's there were 5 cities that sociologists dubbed hyper-segregated.  Milwaukee, Chicago, Newark NJ and I'd have to look up the other two (Detroit probably).  I assume bad and aggressive policing will correlate with segregation, concentrated minority areas and poorer minorities.
I would wager one of them was Cleveland.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49180 on: September 02, 2020, 03:54:51 PM »

Joe B took questions today

A step in the right direction.

I especially liked his dodging the final Q - which was "if you were criticizing Trump's COVID response back in the early days, why then did you have rallies in March?"

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49181 on: September 02, 2020, 03:56:13 PM »

If I was going to produce films at Cinecitta in Italy right now, I would do "The Count Of Monte Cristo" as a mini-series for Netflix and at the end of the book it leaves it open for more stories so it is possible to keep it going.

And then there is Shakespeare, I could produce "King Lear" with Robert De Niro as King Lear. That could be done at any studio. I wanted to do it with Brando before he died, and I was crushed when Brando died.

It would be cool to produce some love stories too.

But, I need to make one film here in California in order to get started, or sell it and let someone else make it, the thing is that I need to turn my script into money to get started on.

We will see what happens.

Salute,

Tony V.

Have you looked into Kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/?ref=nav

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49182 on: September 02, 2020, 04:03:32 PM »

Joe B took questions today

A step in the right direction.

I especially liked his dodging the final Q - which was "if you were criticizing Trump's COVID response back in the early days, why then did you have rallies in March?"

Boy, if you liked how Biden dodged that question you must love when Trump outright lies.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49183 on: September 02, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/read-the-indictment-9-boston-cops-arrested-for-embezzling-ot-funds/2188070/

I assume police getting paid for phony and/or no-show side jobs is incredibly common throughout the US.  All departments should audit for such.  Weed out the criminals among them.

In Oct. 2018, my NJ hometown had 5 officers in its 200-man squad arrested for no-show side jobs.  With more indictments expected, thought to be up to 10 altogether.  While another was charged separately with collecting sick pay from the police force while working security at a mall, a variation on the side job scam.

Some were pocketing up to $80K extra in addition to their base salary of between $100 - $150K.   Reports that some were getting 2 and even on occasion 3 salaries for the very same time shift.

These are the people sworn and paid to uphold the law.  Defrauding and double-dipping and sneaking around.  Criminals with badges.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #49184 on: September 02, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »

Wow,  Knicks forum had quite the political chat.   Chipstern gave liberal purity poses a nice thrashing.   

Not voting or jillsteining because Joe's not perfect does seem borderline insane right now.   

There's a mischievous part of me that can imagine all these people voting for Trump because he's  "real" and then watching the next four years as they find out just what "real" is.   The existential asskicking they would get would almost make the descent into the abyss worthwhile.  But no,  too many lives are at stake,  and my mischievous imp goes back in the drawer of the Unconscious. 
Pages: 1 ... 3277 3278 [3279] 3280 3281 ... 4288