Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3296 3297 [3298] 3299 3300 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1875412 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #49455 on: September 05, 2020, 11:18:38 AM »

I wasn't agreeing with Biden at all,  as could be easily understood by reading my post.

The light bulb as we know it today was not invented by any one person.   

Still awaiting evidence that rebuts what I originally posted.   Which means I'm done with this topic.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #49456 on: September 05, 2020, 11:30:53 AM »

I wasn't agreeing with Biden at all,  as could be easily understood by reading my post.
Never said your were as stupid as Biden.

Neither was the airplane,etc. What, if any,is your point?
Still awaiting evidence that rebuts what I originally posted.   Which means I'm done with this topic.
No you are not.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49457 on: September 05, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »

Never said your were as stupid as Biden.

Neither was the airplane,etc. What, if any,is your point?
No you are not.

LOL!!! RED doesn't know what "evidence" actually means. That's the real issue here.

Heh
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49458 on: September 05, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »

As you well know, arguing with Red is a total waste of time.

Kosovo and Serbia signed a deal normalizing economic ties.
A mini-Trump foreign policy success.
Though this doesn't affect the political situation, with Serbia still claiming Kosovo as its own territory.  But Serbia has been trying hard to join the EU who require that the Kosovo situation is resolved first.

I thought this part was interesting:
The White House summit was originally scheduled for June, but it was canceled after Kosovo President Hashim Thaci, who was to lead the Kosovo delegation, was indicted for war crimes by an international court.

And oddly this deal involved both Kosovo and Serbia agreeing to move their embassy to Jerusalem, joining the US and Guatemala as the only countries to do so.
Kosovo likely wanted to get recognition from Israel, as an extra country supporting its independence is helpful, while Israel loves the symbolism of a Muslim country not only recognizing Israel for the first time, but willing to claim Jerusalem as the Israeli capital.

Of course, Kosovar Islam is a pretty mild and easy going since the territory was officially atheist for decades.  When I was in Kosovo a decade or so back, the young girls wore short skirts and make-up and the imam we talked to in a mosque lamented the paltry turnout and disinterest of the young people.

My general formula in the Balkans is that the closer you are to Serbians and Albanians the more trouble you have, as those are the two expansionist and militarist groups in the region. And Kosovo where Albanians and Serbians face off directly is the most lasting conflict.  With UN troops keeping the sides apart in the divided city of Mitrovic. 

Basically what is Kosovo today was the ancient heartland of Serbia and there are two 14th C Orthodox monasteries there to prove it.  But in the 20th C, Albanians came into area and came to dominate that corner of what was Serbia.  The Serbian monasteries in Kosovo are impressive and guarded by heavily armed UN troops to prevent their destruction by Kosovo nationalists.

After Eastern European communism ended and Yugoslavia fell apart, the Kosovo Albanians naturally looked towards Albania for help and guidance, but quickly realized that Albania was more backward than a backward province of Yugoslavia such as Kosovo.  So they started modeling their politics more on Croatia.
Croatia and Slovenia bolster my rule that distance form Serbs and Albanians allows for peace and development.  What's happened negatively in Bosnia and Macedonia confirm it as well.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #49459 on: September 05, 2020, 12:25:29 PM »

two loony  fringes battling it out.

TheHill.com
GOP candidate Marjorie Taylor Greene posts image of herself with gun next to members of 'Squad'

In reply rep. Omar plays the race card, transforming into a woman of color from a woman of Mo.

Omar is Somali-American.  Somalia is in Africa.   So,  no,  "transforming" not really the case here.   

Omar's response was accurate.   And in no way equivalent to Greene's inflammatory tweet.

I was going to respond to Luee but I see you and echo2 addressed it perfectly.  Thanks.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49460 on: September 05, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »

So, when people in predominantly black community in Massachusetts had a highly irresponsible Covid party the police felt handcuffed.

Or did they?

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/what-we-know-about-the-massive-dorchester-super-spreader-party/2189456/

If the BPD wasn't intervening as they might do elsewhere, was it because they didn't care about the black folks there? Or was it akin to the race based decisions made in the OJ trial back in the 90's LA.

Back then the LA DA didn't want to make it seem like OJ wouldn't get a fair trial in his own neighborhood of Brentwood, so he moved the trial to downtown LA to try to escape the idea that a black man was going to get railroaded by the system. It was a response to the climate that hung over the city after the Rodney King riots.

Now, in Boston, it appears the police were letting the safety of a particular neighborhood in the city things be compromised because they were afraid to act in the BLM era of street politics.

Thousands of people gathered on Talbot Avenue on Friday, Aug. 28 and Saturday, Aug. 29 for a large street party. Revelers reportedly set up DJ tables and flatbed trucks and drank alcohol, danced and smoked marijuana in the streets, showing no concern about spreading the virus.

Organizers of the Carribean Carnival -- which was supposed to be held over the weekend but was canceled due to the pandemic -- reportedly reached out to police and the city to warn them that a party, not affiliated with the carnival, was being planned.

“I saw a gathering near Franklin Park Friday night of several hundred persons and was especially concerned that there seemed no concern by [Boston police] to break up the event,” long time resident Louis Elisa said. "I thought there was a 50 person limit that was supposed to be enforced."

"Nobody had their face covering, nothing," resident Karla Castro said. "It was just weird. Everyone was just close. We're trying to send people back to school and now people are partying. It's not right."

...The Boston Black COVID-19 Coalition held a press conference Thursday, criticizing Gov. Charlie Baker, Mayor Marty Walsh and other politicians for the lack of response to the event. They demanded action including testing and tracing of those who attended and steps to prevent a repeat over Labor Day weekend.

"By Saturday night, live videos on social media clearly showed thousands of people partying," said former state Sen. Dianne Wilkerson, a member of the group. "Though many had masks around their necks, shockingly few were wearing the masks. I waited all day Sunday for the news reports and then a press conference by Gov. Baker, Mayor Walsh, and other elected officials on Monday. It never happened! Now that we hear that there’s another party being planned for the weekend, we’re sounding the alarm.”

...Members of the Boston Black COVID-19 Coalition said the lack of response was in stark contrast to events held in communities like Chatham and Cohasset that drew sharp rebukes from Baker and they wondered aloud if that is because many of those attending the Dorchester party were Black or Latino....

Baker defended the police response to the party on Thursday, saying the state troopers and Boston police officers handled it "exactly the way you would want them to" given the tension these days between law enforcement and the public.

“They did it by going to the event, engaging with the people who were there and basically working to come up with an answer that would translate into people leaving peacefully, and it took a while," the governor said. "Maybe it took too long and maybe people are unhappy about that.”

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/what-we-know-about-the-massive-dorchester-super-spreader-party/2189456/

The politics of race kills people in many different ways.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:32:45 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #49461 on: September 05, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »

Black lives movement relates to descendants of slaves and their problems with acceptance and equality and not immigrants from failed cultures with a big chip on their shoulders.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:44:43 PM by luee »
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49462 on: September 05, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/media/the-atlantic-trump-military-fox-news/index.html

A Fox reporter verified much of the Atlantic story about Trump's comments on the military.

Trump wants her fired.

Hey, Kid? Here's an example of Trump's "stones" hard at work.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49463 on: September 05, 2020, 01:09:37 PM »

Black lives movement relates to descendants of slaves and their problems with acceptance and equality and not immigrants from failed cultures with a big chip on their shoulders.

Most virulent racists don’t make such sharp and technical distinctions. For this reason, The Black Lives Matter movement relates to Black people all over from all over.

Nice try though.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49465 on: September 05, 2020, 01:35:26 PM »

Yeah, Obama was hardly the descendant of slaves, with a white mother, raised by his extended white family, and an immigrant father he never knew, and yet unsurprisingly he was considered a Black man in America.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49466 on: September 05, 2020, 01:44:49 PM »

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/supreme-court-congress-aca-cares-act-ruling.html

This makes sense to me, but I have run it past my favorite former government lawyer and member of the SCOTUS bar to get an opinion from somebody actually trained to analyze such things.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #49467 on: September 05, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49468 on: September 05, 2020, 01:53:44 PM »

Yeah, Obama was hardly the descendant of slaves, with a white mother, raised by his extended white family, and an immigrant father he never knew, and yet unsurprisingly he was considered a Black man in America.

Having one slave as an ancestor doesn't count enough?

And yes, he was considered a Black man, but he wasn't considered an American or a Christian by others.

It's all a game of how much can we "other" the candidate "of color" to try to make them seem less attractive to Black voters. I feel about it as I did attacks on Lieberman for being Jewish or Kennedy for being Catholic. (Or Romney for being Mormon, for that matter.) It's reprehensible.

It's business as usual for the GOP of 2020.

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49469 on: September 05, 2020, 01:56:04 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/9/5/1975204/-Ten-things-that-Donald-Trump-has-done-that-are-at-least-as-bad-as-calling-veterans-losers

They left out the embezzlement, but otherwise it’s a pretty good list.

Saw a cartoon which said, "You're okay with Trump's _____________," but ______________ is where you draw the line?" In the one I saw, somebody had penned in "locking kids up in cages" for the first and "dishonoring soldiers" for the second.
Pages: 1 ... 3296 3297 [3298] 3299 3300 ... 4288