Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3395 3396 [3397] 3398 3399 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584812 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #50940 on: September 21, 2020, 01:58:31 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50942 on: September 21, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »

Playing politics with lives, still and again!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/21/health/cdc-reverts-airborne-transmission-guidance/index.html

"Oops, we posted that update by mistake!"

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #50943 on: September 21, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »

BO (OR HAIRYLIME),

do either of you have any answer to Barton's question about tie-breaking if an even numbered SCOTUS deliberates on a disputed election?

IIRC, you are both lawyerly types.

It would go back to the last court to make decision, right?

In the problem as stated, it was a case that originated at the SCOTUS level, leaving no prior decision to fall back on - something that has not happened on a presidential election issue.
Except that there would be no case at SCOTUS if there wasn’t first a decision someone decided to sue over.
And that decision would not, necessarily, have been made by a court.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #50944 on: September 21, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »

Due to people being banned from Facebook and other sites for hate speech, some people are going to a site called "Parler" to discuss politics, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parler

I guess it is total freedom of speech, and you just duke it out.

I do not feel the desire to go read a bunch of hate speech, and I love the Jews, so I am not going to join Parler.

And I have never had any problems on Facebook because I do not post hate speech. Facebook is just fine for now.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #50945 on: September 21, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »

Yep,  I think I'm getting that,  in a presidential election dispute, there will be a cause of action in a specific state which eventually goes to a state appellate court.   Which means that SCOTUS could be faced with multiple petitions if there were multiple electoral messes in various states and federal laws were involved.   

And,  as Josh pointed out,  in my hypothetical case where the initial action went to SCOTUS , then a deadlock would mean they'd first go to the House.  But I found this,  regarding original jurisdiction.... 

Original jurisdiction means that the Supreme Court is the first, and only, Court to hear a case. The Constitution limits original jurisdiction cases to those involving disputes between the states or disputes arising among ambassadors and other high-ranking ministers.   

So,  then,  my hypothetical just wouldn't happen,  since it doesn't fit those criteria. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50947 on: September 21, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »

BO (OR HAIRYLIME),

do either of you have any answer to Barton's question about tie-breaking if an even numbered SCOTUS deliberates on a disputed election?

In the problem as stated, it was a case that originated at the SCOTUS level, leaving no prior decision to fall back on - something that has not happened on a presidential election issue.
Except that there would be no case at SCOTUS if there wasn’t first a decision someone decided to sue over.

If it was not at by a lower or state court, then there is nothing to fall back on, which was my point.

A tie would be held over until another term. In the case of a presidential dispute with no lower court decision, which is a tad hard to fathom, but was the case offered as a hypothetical, if they deadlocked (which seems unlikely with this 8 person court, but sure...), then it would go forward as I outlined.

Of course, if we also have House races in the wind courts, such that they cannot go forward with a House election for president in the new Congress, then President Pelosi does seem like the end result with the current cast of players.

So many improbables... but who would have bet in 2013 that the President of the United States and his catspaws would be playing Russian Roulette with the lives of Americans through their ham-handed manipulation of the CDC?!

So, hypotheticals asked and answered.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50948 on: September 21, 2020, 04:10:49 PM »

Newest poll today would seem to give cause for mild optimism for Kid's reading of things:
https://www.investors.com/politics/joe-biden-leads-president-trump-race-tightens-ibd-tipp-election-poll/

But these numbers suggest to me, (a) that Biden would take this result in a heart beat and (b) the "addition" of factors doesn't align with the current national alignment of voters with parties:
Biden leads President Trump, 49.5% to 43.9%. Another 1.5% say they'll vote for another candidate, while 4.9% are not sure who they'll support. Biden holds a 45%-38% lead among likely independent voters and 93%-5% among Democrats. Trump leads 94%-4% among Republicans.

There are sufficiently more Dems than GOP members that with the independents added in, his lead should be greater than it is when everything is balanced out.

And, of course, this is one poll of many.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50949 on: September 21, 2020, 04:23:11 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50950 on: September 21, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »

Shockingly enough, "Experts call for national COVID strategy rather than current 'whack-a-mole' approach."

How often does one hear a federal treatment of an issue (if even "treatment" is not too strong) "whack-a-mole?"

I mean, it clearly fits, but just amazing.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #50951 on: September 21, 2020, 04:29:00 PM »

BO (OR HAIRYLIME),

If it was not at by a lower or state court, then there is nothing to fall back on, which was my point.
Not true. For example if the GOP in Iowa contests the outcome of the Presidential vote and assuming Iowa’s electoral votes would determine the White House it could seek SCOTUS to  decide the dispute. If the Court deadlocked it would mean the Iowa vote total would stand as certified by the Iowa Election officials.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50952 on: September 21, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »

BO (OR HAIRYLIME),

Not true. For example if the GOP in Iowa contests the outcome of the Presidential vote and assuming Iowa’s electoral votes would determine the White House it could seek SCOTUS to  decide the dispute. If the Court deadlocked it would mean the Iowa vote total would stand as certified by the Iowa Election officials.

That would not have gone to SCOTUS first. If that was tried, SCOTUS would direct it to the lower courts, rather than even deadlocking. Wrong place for it to go and even this Court would not permit it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50954 on: September 21, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »

Martha McSally said you can pry GOP's Senate majority 'out of my cold, dead hands.'

Who would want to do that?

I want her defeated, not dead. And if she loses (this election, too), I still want her to live, not to kill herself.
Pages: 1 ... 3395 3396 [3397] 3398 3399 ... 4288