Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3422 3423 [3424] 3425 3426 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1597077 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #51345 on: September 26, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »

No-knock warrants and a lot of these police home invasion raids are basically just more War on Drugs bullshit.
What other evidence are police worried about being destroyed?  Basically just flushing drugs.
Just stop criminalizing drugs -- which are widely available despite the war/illegality and overpriced due to the illegal status,
which results in more crime.  Just stop harassing people for chemicals they choose to imbibe, inhale, or otherwise partake of.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #51346 on: September 26, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »

https://newsroom.howard.edu/newsroom/article/13276/howard-university-offer-crimin

Howard U is going to offer a college level Criminal Justice class to high school students at no charge.

Trump got them the money.

So?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51347 on: September 26, 2020, 09:32:38 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fallout-insight-idUSKBN24Z1CM

There is an expectation of billions of dollars of additional medical expenses as a result of the long term care needed for those who survive having COVID-19.

Keep telling us about the mythical 1%, though.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51348 on: September 26, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/26/us/ohio-woman-tased-football-game-mask-trnd/index.html

Not to mention the expenses caused by dolts like this woman.

Was tasing her excessive? Probably.

But I don't believe her arm was broken up to the point of the end of the video, based on a complete lack of either reaction or expression of pain when they are using her arms to help move her forward.

And, honestly, I doubt she asthmatic, too. I think she was just uttering whatever excuses she could come up with for not wearing a mask because she did not want to wear a mask.

If she refuses the order (and law) to wear a mask and also refuses to leave the stands, though, and then resists arrest, what are they supposed to do?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51349 on: September 26, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »

barton

« Reply #51350 on: September 26, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »

The asthma excuse is weak,  considering that many asthmatics will wear filter masks to protect themselves from airborne triggers like dust or pollen.   Oxygen molecules move through filter material quite easily.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51351 on: September 26, 2020, 10:38:47 AM »

The text is likely to cease being at the site as they return to their usual duties sometime soon. But they (and I) thought it was important enough to highlight this issue.

Not to mention that Trump has been clear that the only "fair" decision in his mind is one in which he wins.

https://www.govtrack.us/

We’re hitting pause.

He commits to a peaceful transfer, as long as it’s a fair election.
— Mark Meadows, chief of staff to President Trump and former representative, on the end of President Trump’s term as president. Sep 25, 2020

The United States Constitution does not say that elections must be fair. For most of the history of the United States, voting by Black people, indigenous people, women, and poor people was not legal. There were no direct elections for senators. People in territories acquired through war are neither represented in Congress nor permitted to vote for President — some are not considered U.S. citizens. Residents of the capital district are not represented in Congress even though it has final say over their laws. The principle of democracy that every vote matters equally is, of course, not fulfilled in the Electoral College or representation in the Senate, which were defined by an original compromise that endorsed slavery and transformed later by the politicization of the admission of states to the Union; politicization of the drawing of congressional districts has had a similar effect. Some of this wasn’t fair — but there has been peace. Some of this still isn’t fair — but it is the law.

This is a country of laws first, fairness second. We follow laws today and make them fair tomorrow. We persuade minds and activate voters to make a more perfect union through peace. There is no if.

On January 20, 2021 at noon, the current term of the President of the United States will end — fair or not. The next president will be chosen by elections administered by the states, electors chosen pursuant to state law, and a final count of electors performed by Congress as outlined in the Constitution — fair or not. The opportunity to make it fair will come again.

Our mission cannot be fulfilled when faithful execution of the law is replaced with an ultimatum for something that does not and has never existed. We have hit pause.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #51353 on: September 26, 2020, 01:45:25 PM »

Since trump’s announcement of his intent to stage a coup, I have tripled my weekly contribution to SnART, Snipers Against Republican Transgressions.

Maybe trump is full of shit and bluffing or maybe he’ll wind up dead before he can desecrate another Bible.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #51355 on: September 26, 2020, 02:05:44 PM »

Handmaiden cultist?

Margaret Atwood Contradicts Herself on Whether Judge Barrett’s Religious Group Inspired The Handmaid’s Tale

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/margaret-atwood-contradicts-herself-on-whether-judge-barretts-religious-group-people-of-praise-inspired-the-handmaids-tale/
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #51356 on: September 26, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »

Why nitpick over sects?

The general ideas apply in all their gruesome brutality.

http://www.salon.com/2020/09/26/behind-trumps-push-for-civil-war-a-deep-history-of-white-supremacist-paranoia/

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51357 on: September 26, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »

What Science Tells Us after 9 months of COVID-19 Experience

Between the ages of 1-69 people with COVID-19 have a survival rate of 99 %

Under the age of 20 the survival rate is 99.97%

Of the 200,000 USA deaths attributed 30% were from other causes

35-50% of those 200,000  deaths occurred in nursing homes.

The death rate is now under 3per cent worldwide( even lower in the US) due to  innovative treatments.

Just so you know

Sources, CDC, Oxford, NYTimes

Run, rock, run!!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #51358 on: September 26, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »

Just stop criminalizing drugs -- which are widely available despite the war/illegality and overpriced due to the illegal status, which results in more crime.  Just stop harassing people for chemicals they choose to imbibe, inhale, or otherwise partake of.

I've also been pretty libertarian (small "t") on this most of my life.   My exception is the pregnant.   In my past work,  I've seen the effects of drugs/alcohol that pass through the placental barrier.   I believe using while pregnant should remain somewhat criminalized,  possibly with diversion to a dependency clinic rather than jail.   OTOH you don't want someone turned in to police because someone saw them having a glass of wine with dinner,  that kind of thing.   

And drug testing would still make sense for jobs like airline pilot,  transit driver,  ATC, etc.   

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #51359 on: September 26, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »

Barton, I think the cleaner way to do it in terms of jobs and activities is to take those things one is prohibited to do under the influence of alcohol and extend them to any altered state. This would cover operating vehicles, heavy machinery, firearms, performing surgeries, presiding over courts, and many other things besides.

The pregnancy and parenting issue is much harder to figure out.

There is no downside in Biden calling trump a useless piece of shit, a murderous bastard, and Putin’s sticky sock puppet to his face during Tuesday’s debate.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 3422 3423 [3424] 3425 3426 ... 4288