Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3423 3424 [3425] 3426 3427 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583969 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #51360 on: September 26, 2020, 03:42:27 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #51361 on: September 26, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/trump-moves-to-open-tongass-national-forest-for-logging-to-environmentalists-dismay

The Tongass has been in the crosshairs for some time.  I remember making a donation to protect it back in the eighties.  This is a battle that has to be fought over and over.   

There are too many people on the planet.   Three billion is sustainable, maybe,  but any measures to get us there are simply taboo topics.   So we'll keep making babies,  who will grow up and want wood furniture and houses, unless we find some other natural rigid fiber that can be grown on massive plantations with high per-acre yields.  But logging rainforest makes less than no sense,  with only short-term gains because you can't just grow another crop.   It's basically loot and pillage agriculture. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51362 on: September 26, 2020, 03:49:07 PM »

A concise close up view of the discombobulated beast we’ve let sit in the Oval Office the past few years,

http://thebulwark.com/the-question-i-asked-trump-that-blew-up-the-week/
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51363 on: September 26, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/518433-biden-compares-trump-to-nazi-propaganda-minister

Definitely not trying hard enough. Only compared Trump to Goebbels, after all!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51364 on: September 26, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51365 on: September 26, 2020, 04:36:01 PM »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #51366 on: September 26, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »

Just stop criminalizing drugs -- which are widely available despite the war/illegality and overpriced due to the illegal status, which results in more crime.  Just stop harassing people for chemicals they choose to imbibe, inhale, or otherwise partake of.

I've also been pretty libertarian (small "t") on this most of my life.   My exception is the pregnant.   In my past work,  I've seen the effects of drugs/alcohol that pass through the placental barrier.   I believe using while pregnant should remain somewhat criminalized,  possibly with diversion to a dependency clinic rather than jail.   OTOH you don't want someone turned in to police because someone saw them having a glass of wine with dinner,  that kind of thing.   

And drug testing would still make sense for jobs like airline pilot,  transit driver,  ATC, etc.
Are you arguing that the state should criminalize the consumption of alcohol by expectant mothers?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51367 on: September 26, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/hypocrisy-and-constitutional-etiquette/2020/09/21/02d06ae0-fc1c-11ea-8d05-9beaaa91c71f_story.html

What a weird time it is when I start agreeing with everything George Will writes.

Josh,  I hope your sister and niece/nephew are doing okay.

Thanks, Barton. I appreciate it. My niece recovered first, mostly, since she was the spreader in this instance. Both of them are past their quarantines, but still have some strength and lung recovery to go.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #51368 on: September 26, 2020, 06:05:00 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/26/us/ohio-woman-tased-football-game-mask-trnd/index.html

Not to mention the expenses caused by dolts like this woman.

Was tasing her excessive? Probably.

But I don't believe her arm was broken up to the point of the end of the video, based on a complete lack of either reaction or expression of pain when they are using her arms to help move her forward.

And, honestly, I doubt she asthmatic, too. I think she was just uttering whatever excuses she could come up with for not wearing a mask because she did not want to wear a mask.

If she refuses the order (and law) to wear a mask and also refuses to leave the stands, though, and then resists arrest, what are they supposed to do?

Taser her!
Cop asked her nicely, she refused.
Told her she could return with a face shield.
She resisted arrest.
'Smart ass' she'd be called in bambuland.
WHAT ABOUT ME!
I could've gotten sick and died at that event if I'd been there and she'd had the virus.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:07:16 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #51369 on: September 26, 2020, 06:09:07 PM »

I never could follow Drug Prohibition logic.

You don't want people ruining their lives with drugs, so you're going to throw them in prison and ruin their lives for using drugs.

You don't want folks becoming unproductive drug users and a burden on the state, so you're going to toss them in jail and make sure that they are unproductive and a burden on the state.

And of course the illegality of drugs drives up their price due to the risk involved and ensuring that criminals benefit.  And the drug war distorts society in so many ways, notably the need for more police, leading to overpolicing and more prisons, while creating more rich criminal gangs.  Which unsurprisingly leads to corrupt police.  And a resulting disrespect for the police and the law.  Without possession being illegal, I assume there would be many fewer traffic stops and vehicle searches, and just fewer interactions with the police. 

I really think the best way to defund and reduce the police presence is to decriminalize drugs.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #51370 on: September 26, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/trump-moves-to-open-tongass-national-forest-for-logging-to-environmentalists-dismay

The Tongass has been in the crosshairs for some time.  I remember making a donation to protect it back in the eighties.  This is a battle that has to be fought over and over.   

There are too many people on the planet.   Three billion is sustainable, maybe,  but any measures to get us there are simply taboo topics.   So we'll keep making babies,  who will grow up and want wood furniture and houses, unless we find some other natural rigid fiber that can be grown on massive plantations with high per-acre yields.  But logging rainforest makes less than no sense,  with only short-term gains because you can't just grow another crop.   It's basically loot and pillage agriculture.
That damn Christopher Columbus. Native Americans before him pillaged and looted but, by golly, they didn’t bother the trees!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #51371 on: September 26, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »

So Amy Coney Barrett is a Scalia acolyte, belongs to a Christian cult, and tight with the Federalist Society.  And could be on the court for 3 decades.  Jeez ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #51372 on: September 26, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »

Just stop criminalizing drugs -- which are widely available despite the war/illegality and overpriced due to the illegal status, which results in more crime.  Just stop harassing people for chemicals they choose to imbibe, inhale, or otherwise partake of.

I've also been pretty libertarian (small "t") on this most of my life.   My exception is the pregnant.   In my past work,  I've seen the effects of drugs/alcohol that pass through the placental barrier.   I believe using while pregnant should remain somewhat criminalized,  possibly with diversion to a dependency clinic rather than jail.   OTOH you don't want someone turned in to police because someone saw them having a glass of wine with dinner,  that kind of thing.   

And drug testing would still make sense for jobs like airline pilot,  transit driver,  ATC, etc.
Are you arguing that the state should criminalize the consumption of alcohol by expectant mothers?

I don't know,  I was mulling it over as I wrote that, because I was thinking more about heroin or meth,  not some mother-to-be having a glass of wine.   Prohibition of alcohol generally was spectacularly unsuccessful and I doubt a mother-specific form would be workable.   Probably just providing more help to expectant mothers overall,  in terms of health and education,  would go a long way.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #51373 on: September 26, 2020, 06:56:24 PM »

Expectant mothers are away ahead of the government on this issue.
Why wouldn’t they be? It is a child each one is responsible for.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #51374 on: September 26, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »

Thanks for educating, Red!
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 3423 3424 [3425] 3426 3427 ... 4288