Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3445 3446 [3447] 3448 3449 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997266 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #51690 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:47 AM »

NYT OP doc video on the pandemic

http://youtu.be/GBGShUmEAFA

Cause of Death: Incompetence

The most incompetent of all is, was, and always will be trump
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #51691 on: September 30, 2020, 06:07:33 AM »

Biden has said he would eliminate many of Trump tax cuts, which were a historic boon for the middle class, according to The Heritage Foundation.

Pretty funny.
Was a historic boom for the rich elite class.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #51692 on: September 30, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »

Disney to Lay Off 28,000 Employees in Florida and California Theme Parks
https://dnyuz.com/2020/09/30/disney-to-lay-off-28000-employees-in-florida-and-california-theme-parks/

Not so good.

Of course, Shanghai Disneyland reopened with limited capacity in mid-May.
Capacity was raised from 30% to 50% Aug 24 (for all tourism sites in SH)
Quite a difference.
People have jobs, entertainment, money is coursing through the economy.

Biden needs to point out hat the reason the economy is bad and people are out of work is because of the terrible job Trump did with the CV-19 virus.
People are getting sick, dying, losing their jobs, and running into financial difficulties because Trump couldn't wear a face mask and tell others to do the same.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #51693 on: September 30, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »

When Trump was pressing Biden about any police unions supporting him, Biden should have just laughed/snickered and said that now it seems that Trump is a union supporter. 

Then go on to explain that before unions, Americans workers were treated and paid very poorly in America,  And when workers tried to organize and form unions they were routinely beaten up by hired security thugs and/or local police. After FDR (it's okay to mention Dem heroes) implemented labor reform encouraging unionization, workers were treated and paid better, had more job stability and rights, better safety and working conditions.  There was an unprecedented middle class boom in the USA when unions flourished.  And then after unions were attacked by Reagan and subsequently marginalized and dismantled by the GOP and Big Business over the past 4 decades, American workers have again gone to being underpaid with fewer rights and benefits, and the middle class has suffered.  And the country is worse off for it.

Conclusion: we're a better nation when the middle class is strong and unions play a major part in that.  While for the past 40 years the GOP has attacked and undermined unions and hurt the American middle class, promoting policies that enrich the rich and screw over the working class.

He could continue that the GOP is against worker's rights, against better pay for workers (mention the minimum wage) and such, but really that's enough.
Nothing wrong with giving a little history lesson on unions and the middle class.  The kind of thing Donald Trump cannot manage.

Anyway, once Trump mentions unions, it's such an easy opening to get across Dem economic policies and support for the middle class.

I really would love to see Hillary debate this hugely failed Trump.
She'd have so many facts at her command to just shred this guy.  And she's smart on her feet and tough.

Do we really want HRC in the debates? 2016 revisited With her unique elitist liberal viewpoint about deplorable union members. Turned an easy victory into a ignominious loss. Biden is at least in touch with reality.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51694 on: September 30, 2020, 09:01:53 AM »

A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51695 on: September 30, 2020, 09:15:49 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #51696 on: September 30, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »

Wallace should have cut Trump's mike at some point, simply to enforce the debate rules.  Trump has no respect for the rules, and that would be the only way Bidens answers could be heard.   Next moderator should make that measure clear right at the outset:  if you will not show minimal courtesy, then I pull your plug.
And give Trump a gazillion votes.

Why?   If the rule applies to both parties,  what's the problem?   A debate is only legitimate if basic standards of discourse are enforced.   Trump has free will,  so what's to prevent him respecting his opponent,  following rules, and not getting cut off?   Same rules for Biden.   Sounds like you're saying Trump can't behave like an adult.

So instead of denouncing Trump's boorish and unpresidential behavior as he shreds yet another democratic institution, REDSTATEWARD previews what would be the Right-wing response to that institutions attempt to stay viable in the face of those threats.  Yes, obviously a mechanism put in place to make sure the candidates stick to the rules both campaigns agreed to should be seen as an attack on Trump because he is the only candidate incapable of sticking to those rules. 

Of course, the notion that those Right-wing attacks would win Trump any votes is laughable.

I wouldn't leave it up to the moderator.  Both candidates have 2 minutes to respond to the moderators question, and 1 minute to address his opponent's response.  Its all on the clock, and when its not your turn to talk your mic doesn't work. 

But there isn't any way Trump would agree to this because like this election itself, Trump thinks his only way to win is to plunge the debate into chaos.  He "wins" and Democracy and everyone else loses.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:56:53 AM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #51697 on: September 30, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »

I think this was mentioned here once already, but I'm going to point to it again because it needs to be done.

Last night when asked specifically to denounce White Supremacy, a violent movement that has killed and committed acts of terror in the name of maintaining a racial hierarchy in this country, the man elected to be President of the United States instead told those people to "Stand By" and await orders.

Yes.  That really happened. 

And no, Trump's supporters on this forum can not run from the fact that being pro-Trump is being pro racism.  Its out in the open now.  Denouncing the guy who you've spent four years defending (because Taxcuts) or staying silent are your only options right now.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #51698 on: September 30, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »

Thanks Bo,  Needs,  for further insights on the dead mike option.  And "stand by... "

Having slept on it,  I am left with the feeling that "stand back and stand by" may be the worst of the barrel bottom scraping that is Trump.   "Poll watchers" was also pretty bad.   That was basically a green light to MAGA loons to gather at voting stations and harass people.   I don't remember the exact words he used,  but it was pretty brownshirty, too.

I'm sure Bambi enjoyed the rattlesnake under the bed report.   I can hear him sawing the legs off his bed,  so it has no "down under. "   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #51699 on: September 30, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »

Trump's refusal to condemn White Supremecists, Nazis, Aryan Nation, and other actors of hate might have been noted last night.

Trump's racism, fascism and anti-democratic indecency was on full display last night.

His call to arms for his Nazi supporters to man the polls and intimidate voters was nothing short of jaw-dropping and a call to most Americans this fascist conman psychopath must be defeated.

There was nothing confusing about what this hate spewing out of control monster is, or aspires to, or what 4 more years of his corrupt and inept leadership means to this country.

What will be almost as galling is when his Republican enabler stooges in DC are asked to renounce the president for his fascist appeal to Nazis, they will claim that they didn't hear it or see it, and shuffle off to plot their next conspiratorial scheme to cheat and defraud the American people.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #51700 on: September 30, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51701 on: September 30, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »

Thanks, Don!

Joe Biden and his party scored a huge fundraising windfall during and after Tuesday night’s acrimonious debate with President Trump.

The Democratic fundraising website ActBlue processed close to $8 million between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m., according to the site’s live ticker.

Rufus Gifford, Biden’s deputy campaign manager, tweeted on Wednesday that he had never received so many “calls/texts/emails from people wanting to give money to the campaign,” than he had in the previous 12 hours.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/30/democrats-see-fundraising-boom-with-wild-debate-between-trump-and-biden.html

One other thing from that piece: Longtime Republican pollster Frank Luntz, who held a session with a small group of voters during the debate, told CNBC on Wednesday he and the participants came away feeling embarrassed, and he believes the battle would make the group less likely to vote.

“I have never had a session blow up where the participants were disappointed on both sides, where everyone was embarrassed and everyone was upset about what had happened,” Luntz said on “Squawk Box,” while agreeing with the participants’ assessment.

My wife said that. She said this was an embarrassing moment for our nation, and she wondered how poorly others around the world must be thinking of our country, today.

Captain Chaos has shown his great level of dysfunctional behavior in a new way.

Anyone who attempts to defend him is supporting the degradation of the United States.

They are simply not truly Americans

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #51702 on: September 30, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »

The whole concept and reality of President Trump has been an embarrassment for the country.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51703 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51704 on: September 30, 2020, 12:08:06 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3445 3446 [3447] 3448 3449 ... 4288