Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3492 3493 [3494] 3495 3496 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1993922 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #52395 on: October 06, 2020, 05:31:20 AM »

Trump’s medical team has ruled, after extensive examination, that trump’s complex of mental illnesses is and will always remain trump’s most serious medical condition. Trump’s fucked up brain and venal malevolent nuttiness is far worse than full blown Covid, heart problems, and creeping Alzheimer’s. Trump could have seven types of cancer, full blown AIDS, hemophilia, and a stake through his heart. All of that would still be dwarfed by his mental problems.

The doctors did triage, got him the fuck out of Walter Reed, which is a serious and important medical institution, and got him back to the White House where he’s already had three years to break everything that could be broken. This way the political team can take bullets for the secret service when roid baby gets bored. Secret Service and Walter Reed staff are highly skilled professionals in service to our country. Trump’s political team are crooks and useless mouths.

Medically and strategically it was a good move by the doctors.

There is more parking for morgue trucks on the White House grounds.

They can use Melania’s failed Rose Garden since it’s being dug up anyway.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 05:33:06 AM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52397 on: October 06, 2020, 08:52:05 AM »

I don't think he should have left the hospital, for his own sake. I hope he gets the care he needs, but I hope that as he does the truth comes out. It's important for the country.

The truth about WHAT should come out?

What do you need?  Oxygen levels 24/7?  Exact time and results of COVID tests?  Mask on/mask off data?

I think the heart-filled press is doing great with their own version.  Trump is DYING.  And in 3.5 months - or sooner - we will have a new leader.  That's all you need.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52398 on: October 06, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »

44/36/20

1 in 5 polled dont have a clear debate winner - and THIRTEEN PER CENT say they have changed their intent to vote for a candidate based on the debate

This runs contrary to talk that the debates are of minimal import this year.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/debate_watchers_give_biden_the_edge_but_20_undecided

barton

« Reply #52399 on: October 06, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »

http://thebulwark.com/the-weirdest-90-seconds-in-presidential-history/

Winning.

Love the nod to "Evita" in the subtitle.  A must-see musical now.  The parallels of the Perons to present day are stark.   

barton

« Reply #52400 on: October 06, 2020, 09:35:04 AM »

I think the tragedy of the story was not death, as we all know death is inevitable, but rather a genius Charlie understood by watching Algernon revert to his retardation, that too was his fate, Charlie's gift of genius allowed him to understand his sad fate. And the gift was also a curse as it enabled to see and understand his tragic future.

Yes.   And then we watch his reversion,  cinematically rendered by his room,  where there were heaps of books and papers, and art prints on the walls, and so on,  and then it all fades back to spartan emptiness, empty walls.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52401 on: October 06, 2020, 09:43:26 AM »

This is an important read if somebody you know gets the virus. Of particular note is the variance in outcomes for patients based on which hospital they go to - this suggests to me that (a) there ought to be tracking data made available and (b) one needs to consider to which hospital one goes if there are problems.

There is also a ton more research to be done.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/covid-19-patients-nearly-one-third-had-altered-mental-state-study/ar-BB19JeuY?li=BBnb7Kz

Nearly a third of hospitalized Covid-19 patients experienced some type of altered mental function — ranging from confusion to delirium to unresponsiveness — in the largest study to date of neurological symptoms among coronavirus patients in an American hospital system.

And patients with altered mental function had significantly worse medical outcomes, according to the study, published on Monday in Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology. The study looked at the records of the first 509 coronavirus patients hospitalized, from March 5 to April 6, at 10 hospitals in the Northwestern Medicine health system in the Chicago area.

These patients stayed three times as long in the hospital as patients without altered mental function.

After they were discharged, only 32 percent of the patients with altered mental function were able to handle routine daily activities like cooking and paying bills, said Dr. Igor Koralnik, the senior author of the study and chief of neuro-infectious disease and global neurology at Northwestern Medicine. In contrast, 89 percent of patients without altered mental function were able to manage such activities without assistance.

Patients with altered mental function — the medical term is encephalopathy — were also nearly seven times as likely to die as those who did not have that type of problem.

“Encephalopathy is a generic term meaning something’s wrong with the brain,” Dr. Koralnik said. The description can include problems with attention and concentration, loss of short-term memory, disorientation, stupor and “profound unresponsiveness” or a coma-like level of consciousness.

“Encephalopathy was associated with the worst clinical outcomes in terms of ability to take care of their own affairs after leaving the hospital, and we also see it’s associated with higher mortality, independent of severity of their respiratory disease,” he said.

The researchers did not identify a cause for the encephalopathy, which can occur with other diseases, especially in older patients, and can be triggered by several different factors including inflammation and effects on blood circulation, said Dr. Koralnik, who also oversees the Neuro Covid-19 Clinic at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. There is very little evidence so far that the virus directly attacks brain cells, and most experts say neurological effects are probably triggered by inflammatory and immune system responses that often affect other organs, as well as the brain.

“This paper indicates, importantly, that in-hospital encephalopathy may be a predictor for poorer outcomes,” said Dr. Serena Spudich, chief of neurological infections and global neurology at Yale School of Medicine, who was not involved in the study. That finding would also suggest that patients with altered mental function in the hospital “might benefit from closer post-discharge monitoring or rehabilitation,” she added.

In the study, the 162 patients with encephalopathy were more likely to be older and male. They were also more likely to have underlying medical conditions, including a history of any neurological disorder, cancer, cerebrovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, heart failure, hypertension or smoking.

Some experts said that President Trump, who was hospitalized with Covid at Walter Reed military hospital beginning on Friday, is of the age and gender of the patients in the study who were more likely to develop altered mental function and therefore could be at higher risk for such symptoms. He also has a history of high cholesterol, one of the pre-existing conditions that appear to increase risk. But the president’s doctors have given no indication that he has had any neurological symptoms; the White House had released videos of him talking to the public about how well he was doing. And Mr. Trump returned to the White House on Monday evening.

Dr. Koralnik urged caution in drawing inferences from the study to Mr. Trump’s condition. “I think we should be careful trying to ascribe a risk to an individual, based on this retrospective study,” he said. “We need to know more about that individual’s health records, which are not public.”

Altered mental function was not the only neurological complication the Northwestern study found. Over all, 82 percent of the hospitalized patients had neurological symptoms at some point in the course of the disease from symptom onset through hospitalization, the study found. That is a higher rate than what has been reported in studies from China and Spain, but the researchers say that may be because of genetic factors or that the Northwestern hospitals may have had more time to identify neurological issues because they were not as overwhelmed with patients as the other hospitals.

“This is an important study, since the neurological complications of the infection seem to be frequent and in many cases long lasting, but yet have not received much attention,” said Dr. Avindra Nath, chief of the section on infections of the nervous system at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, who was not involved in the study.

Among the neurological symptoms, muscle pain occurred in about 45 percent of patients and headaches in about 38 percent. About 30 percent had dizziness. Smaller percentages had disorders of taste or smell.

Younger patients were more likely to develop neurological symptoms over all, except for encephalopathy, which was more common in older people, the study said. The researchers speculated that the younger people might have been more likely to seek hospital care for symptoms like muscle pain, headache or disease, or that doctors paid more attention to those symptoms in younger people because they were less worried about their risk of respiratory failure.

About a quarter of the patients had severe enough respiratory problems to require ventilators, while the rest were considered moderately ill and were treated either in intensive care or in a Covid ward.

The study found that Black and Latino patients were not more likely than other groups to develop neurological symptoms. It found that patients at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, an academic medical center in Chicago that is the health system’s flagship hospital, were younger, more often Black residents and had more pre-existing medical conditions than patients in the suburban hospitals in the network.

The patients at Northwestern Memorial were more likely to have overall neurological symptoms, but were not more likely to have encephalopathy. They also had lower mortality rates and were functioning better when they were discharged, even though patients at the non-academic suburban hospitals weren’t more likely to be sick enough to need ventilators. That suggests patients may have received more specialized care or better resources at the academic hospital, the study said.

“It is also interesting but concerning that they found differences in the outcome of patients between the various hospitals which they attribute to differences in the quality of care provided,” Dr. Nath said. “This means that the hospitalized patients require a high level of care, which is not readily available in most places.”

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52402 on: October 06, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »

When Dr. Conely talks about influencing the course of illness with his comments, he is making it clear that he is actively attempting to treat trump’s mental illness through his comments to the press. Whether the treatments to keep trump breathing have further exasperated the underlying mental problems is one of those subjects that will likely set the patient off.

Yes.

See the link I just posted - I don't think that this kind of massaging the story is going to help if Trump really has the kind of brain issues they are discussing in it and I sincerely hope he doesn't. But the notion that Conley might be trying to massage the news for the sake of his patient's mental health is no longer an alien one. (But I still think they ought not to have lied to us. Just tell us nothing, then.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #52403 on: October 06, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »

“He has experience now fighting the coronavirus as an individual,” said Erin Perrine, a campaign spokeswoman. “Joe Biden doesn’t have that.”

I'm still chuckling over that demented spin.

If we're really going to break out the tape measure on who has suffered more in their life,  it's not going to be terribly close.   And Joe's tragic losses were horrible strokes of fate,  not the result of monumental carelessness and stupidity.   And Joe's tragedies made him a man of depth and empathy,  whereas Trump,  well...

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52404 on: October 06, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »

I don't think he should have left the hospital, for his own sake. I hope he gets the care he needs, but I hope that as he does the truth comes out. It's important for the country.

The truth about WHAT should come out?

What do you need?  Oxygen levels 24/7?  Exact time and results of COVID tests?  Mask on/mask off data?

The truth about:
1) When was Trump's last negative test?
2) How far did his blood oxygen drop and what are the implications of that?
3) Given the gasping we saw from him at the White House when he returned, what is his physical condition?
4) Is Trump still contagious?

I think that would be enough with regard to this visit and his COVID-positive status.

I still want the rest of the truth about his Walter Reed visit almost a year ago, now. And I want to know if he has been evaluated for frontotemporal dementia.

Thank you for asking.

barton

« Reply #52405 on: October 06, 2020, 09:56:40 AM »

44/36/20

1 in 5 polled dont have a clear debate winner - and THIRTEEN PER CENT say they have changed their intent to vote for a candidate based on the debate

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/debate_watchers_give_biden_the_edge_but_20_undecided

Well,  yes,  if you get up there and throw tantrums and interrupt like a two year old,  and tell a lot of lies,  and act like rules don't apply to you, then that will shift the needle for some viewers.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52406 on: October 06, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »

44/36/20

They are not the only folks to report that. And it is reflected in the post-debate boost that Biden got in the polls, though only time will tell if it is a bump or if it is a permanent increase.

I am amused that they did not tell us in which direction those 17% of Republicans whose votes were changed changed. (I choose that because the percentage is so much higher than for the other two groups of vote-changing folks, but I am curious about those, too - just not enough to become a PLATINUM member.)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52407 on: October 06, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »

Good numbers in that neuro study.  But that was very early on.  Much more is known, many other treatments available now than in April.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52408 on: October 06, 2020, 10:19:14 AM »

Meanwhile..

Chicago has deadliest September in 27 years, wit 81 homicides.

Thoughts?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #52409 on: October 06, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »

As someone with family in Chicago, that's terrible.   
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce
Pages: 1 ... 3492 3493 [3494] 3495 3496 ... 4288