Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3576 3577 [3578] 3579 3580 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583606 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53655 on: October 17, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53656 on: October 17, 2020, 08:41:14 AM »

Former White House chief of staff, retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, has told friends that President Donald Trump "is the most flawed person" he's ever known.

"The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life," the retired Marine general has told friends, CNN has learned.

The reporting comes from a new CNN special scheduled to air Sunday night, "The Insiders: A Warning from Former Trump Officials," in which former senior administration officials -- including former national security adviser John Bolton, former Health and Human Services scientist Rick Bright and former Department of Homeland Security general counsel John Mitnick -- explain why they think the President is unfit for office.

Kelly's sentiments about the President's transactional nature and dishonesty have been shared by other former members of the Trump administration who also appear in the special.

Fuck John Kelly who still hasn’t acknowledged LYING about a US Congresswoman.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
The Bullshitter in Chief
« Reply #53657 on: October 17, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »

I think people have finally realized that nearly everything Trump says is essentially the equivalent of 'we're gonna build a big beautiful wall, and Mexico is going to pay for it.'
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #53658 on: October 17, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »

Fuck me, the Amy argument was that raping prisoners wasn't part of the guard's job and didn't benefit his employer, so the county wasn't liable.  How about a duty to supervise their employees, a duty to protect prisoners under their care, hiring such a person in the first place.  That's a lot of culpability and negligence.  And this wasn't a one time sexual assault but an ongoing series of assaults...

It's weird that she joined with a ruling that did hold a county liable,  in another similar case.   Why was she seeing the county as negligent in one case but not the other?   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53659 on: October 17, 2020, 10:13:00 AM »

[

Fuck me, the Amy argument was that raping prisoners wasn't part of the guard's job and didn't benefit his employer, so the county wasn't liable.  How about a duty to supervise their employees, a duty to protect prisoners under their care, hiring such a person in the first place.  That'su a lot of culpability and negligence.  And this wasn't a one time sexual assault but an ongoing series of assaults...

It's weird that she joined with a ruling that did hold a county liable,  in another similar case.   Why was she seeing the county as negligent in one case but not the other?
maybe you need to read the opinions 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:25:51 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

barton

« Reply #53660 on: October 17, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »

Scholar, fix your quote boxes.

barton

« Reply #53661 on: October 17, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »

Designated Survivor is now on Netflix.   Watched the first coupla episodes,  not bad,  with a scary/interesting premise:  what if a bomb wiped out POTUS,  the entire Congress,  SCOTUS,  cabinet,  and anyone else attending the SOTU speech?   Only two people, the HUD secretary, and a congresswoman survive.   The HUD guy,  played by Kiefer Sutherland, becomes the POTUS, and turns out to be a man of great integrity.   As escapism,  I think this series might be satisfying.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53662 on: October 17, 2020, 11:12:02 AM »

Designated Survivor is now on Netflix.   Watched the first coupla episodes,  not bad,  with a scary/interesting premise:  what if a bomb wiped out POTUS,  the entire Congress,  SCOTUS,  cabinet,  and anyone else attending the SOTU speech?   Only two people, the HUD secretary, and a congresswoman survive.   The HUD guy,  played by Kiefer Sutherland, becomes the POTUS, and turns out to be a man of great integrity.   As escapism,  I think this series might be satisfying.

I enjoyed it, except for the realism...
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #53663 on: October 17, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »

Sadly, I thought the show got progressively worse. Though maybe I'll use some of the plot points to buttress my arguments here
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53664 on: October 17, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »

Different fact patterns.
In the case where the county was held liable, there had been a prior incident of inappropriate sexual conduct by a guard and the county jail did nada in response.
That county also refused state materials on sexual misconduct.

The standard for gov't liability is rather high in these cases.
The Chief Appeals Circuit Judge Diane Wood stated: “The question is whether the country created an environment that showed deliberate indifference to a substantial risk of harm.”   That was during the oral arguments, and is a seriously high bar to clear. 

Fwiw, Diane Wood was my Civil Procedure prof, a nice enough woman and solid professor if a little dull.  Her husband at the time Dennis Hutchinson was a much more interesting character and a more lively teacher.  His course on slavery era law was the second best class I took there.

Both cases decided at the fed appeals level there was no county liability, but the 2-1 decision in one case was overturned by the full circuit en banc.  Meaning plaintiffs/victims got kind of lucky there (the one dissent almost certainly saved them).  The full panel decision was issued just this May and interestingly the 7-4 decision involved 6 female judges who favored liability for the sexual assaults by a margin of 5-1.  The males judges split 2-3 against liability.

It should be noted that Amy C-B didn't write either opinion and her vote wasn't needed for the outcome in either.  So these were low pressure decisions for her.

I'd also note that the abuse in the liability case was much worse and much more extensive (3 years and many women), and the perp guard got a 30 year sentence, whereas in the other case involved one (pregnant) woman, a few incidents and the guard lost his job but plead guilty to a lesser charge and did no time.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53665 on: October 17, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »

Scholar, fix your quote boxes.
After you fix your facts.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53667 on: October 17, 2020, 11:30:00 AM »

Sadly, I thought the show got progressively worse. Though maybe I'll use some of the plot points to buttress my arguments here

At best the second most impressive WH show.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53668 on: October 17, 2020, 11:37:26 AM »

Independents in this poll favor Trump 43-41, after Dems had a 47-40 cushion earlier

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_US_092820/

Its OLD - we are waiting for the new Monmouth numbers

But last 3 polls have Biden overall

+10

+7

+5 (latest)

Trump - trending

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53669 on: October 17, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »

Another Great Year for Trump!!