Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3586 3587 [3588] 3589 3590 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1611962 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53805 on: October 19, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #53806 on: October 19, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »

I don't think she comprehends how immoral and greedy and selfish businesses/top execs are, and how much malfeasance and harm they will rain/reign upon the country if permitted.  I want gov't to leave alone individuals as much as possible (there I'm on board with the Libertarians), but regulate business to keep them from being malign actors.

I think a lot of these Ayn Randy folks are lacking much understanding of human nature, or history.   In every instance where predatory capitalism is given free reign,  economic inequality has grown and the environment degraded.   And workers more trampled on.   

As always,  economic systems can view labor as a commodity,  very abstractly,  and not as human beings seeking higher values in life.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53807 on: October 19, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »

Is that what your wife said when you were getting amorous?   

Been watching Senate races...Mark Kelly and Jaime Harrison seem to really shine in terms of smarts,  integrity,  projecting capability, all the right stuff.   I give Kelly better odds at this point, due to AZ having purpled more than SC,  and the whole astronaut thing which,  all else aside,  gives a person a giant neon sign that says I can handle shit.      

You are OK with the mess re:. the Kelly staffer?

Had it been a Republican candidate that hired and then refused to fire a guy like that you'd be all over him/her.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with this, CAN - or be like JOE and ignore it/pray it doesn't take you down

Speaking of BIDEN, re: his statement that he would comment on packing the court after Barrett is confirmed - what do you think he will say?

CAN may have me on ignore, so please - anyone - feel free to answer.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53808 on: October 19, 2020, 10:35:34 AM »

Tampa Florida: lined up in the false dawn time, socially distanced, for the first day of voting:

Melbourne Florida, a bit later:

Courtesy of CNN, which has a story somewhere on the page to go with it, along with a citizen video and a CNN video. I am heartened to see them out to vote, lined up even in the rain showers.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/us-election-news-10-19-2020/h_352be11326b7116abcb48916d9d510d7
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53809 on: October 19, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »

Wonder how long until the GOP tries to shut this down!

Free shuttle service for voters begins today in Dallas County
From CNN's Kay Jones and Devon Sayers

A free shuttle service to take voters to the Dallas County Election Department begins today, according to a release from Dallas Area Rapid Transit.

The shuttle service, which is a joint venture by DART and the Dallas County Election Department, will be available from today through Election Day. 

The shuttle will be available seven days a week through November 3.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53810 on: October 19, 2020, 10:37:24 AM »

Libertarian agenda terrible on trade and taxes.
JoJo claims there's a human right to trade with anyone you want.
The very sympathetic interviewer even quickly made her position look bad.
And she'd eliminate federal income tax.  First for individuals, then for companies.
At the same time calling for a balanced federal budget.  The better to halve the federal gov't.

The Libertarian Party candidate posits a corporatist utopia where business basically run the country and make all the decisions.  While government is always a malignant actor and should be sidelined as much as possible.  I don't think she comprehends how immoral and greedy and selfish businesses/top execs are, and how much malfeasance and harm they will rain/reign upon the country if permitted.  I want gov't to leave alone individuals as much as possible (there I'm on board with the Libertarians), but regulate business to keep them from being malign actors.

Libertarians are all about small and limited government until they’re up to their ass in floodwaters.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53811 on: October 19, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »

Good post on Sturgis,  Larry.   I posted that article yesterday,  with a non PW option....

This is about Sturgis,  and a motorcycle enthusiast who was actually able to learn something from his experience.   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/17/sturgis-rally-spread/

As the story notes,  his case wasn't counted as Sturgis spread.   All evidence suggests it was.   

And here is a paywall free access to the same story....

https://www.universalpersonality.com/how-the-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-may-have-spread-coronavirus-across-the-upper-midwest/

Gotta admit when I come in after a day or two I tend to skip the pages in between then and now!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53812 on: October 19, 2020, 10:42:52 AM »

Libertarian agenda terrible on trade and taxes.
JoJo claims there's a human right to trade with anyone you want.
The very sympathetic interviewer even quickly made her position look bad.
And she'd eliminate federal income tax.  First for individuals, then for companies.
At the same time calling for a balanced federal budget.  The better to halve the federal gov't.

The Libertarian Party candidate posits a corporatist utopia where business basically run the country and make all the decisions.  While government is always a malignant actor and should be sidelined as much as possible.  I don't think she comprehends how immoral and greedy and selfish businesses/top execs are, and how much malfeasance and harm they will rain/reign upon the country if permitted.  I want gov't to leave alone individuals as much as possible (there I'm on board with the Libertarians), but regulate business to keep them from being malign actors.

Libertarians are all about small and limited government until they’re up to their ass in floodwaters.

But with bears, only some prefer government. Others point their fingers and call them statists!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53813 on: October 19, 2020, 10:44:38 AM »

Been watching Senate races...Mark Kelly and Jaime Harrison seem to really shine in terms of smarts,  integrity,  projecting capability, all the right stuff.   I give Kelly better odds at this point, due to AZ having purpled more than SC,  and the whole astronaut thing which,  all else aside,  gives a person a giant neon sign that says I can handle shit.      

Had it been a Republican candidate that hired and then refused to fire a guy like that you'd be all over him/her.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with this, CAN - or be like JOE and ignore it/pray it doesn't take you down

Speaking of BIDEN, re: his statement that he would comment on packing the court after Barrett is confirmed - what do you think he will say?

Want a variety of cheeses to go with those whines?

heh

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53814 on: October 19, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »

https://poll.qu.edu/georgia/release-detail?ReleaseID=3679

It also discusses Ohio, where things are too tight to say anybody leads.

In Georgia, Biden leads 51 - 44 percent among likely voters, while 4 percent are undecided. On September 29th, the race for the White House was too close to call when Biden had 50 percent support and Trump had 47 percent support. The September survey was taken before the first presidential debate and the president's COVID-19 diagnosis.

Today, likely voters give Biden a slightly positive 51 - 46 percent favorability rating, compared to a mixed 48 percent favorable and 49 percent unfavorable rating in the last survey.

Likely voters give Trump a negative 43 - 54 percent favorability rating today, compared to a mixed 47 percent favorable and 51 percent unfavorable rating in the last survey.

And as importantly:
GEORGIA: OSSOFF VS. PERDUE

Today, Democrat Jon Ossoff leads Republican incumbent Senator David Perdue 51 - 45 percent, while 3 percent are undecided. This compares to a virtual tie in late September when Ossoff had 49 percent and Perdue had 48 percent.

When it comes to favorability ratings, likely voters have a positive view of Ossoff 46 - 36 percent, and a mixed view of Perdue with 43 percent saying favorable and 46 percent saying unfavorable.

GEORGIA: SENATE SPECIAL ELECTION

Democrat Raphael Warnock leads in the special election for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Republican Senator Kelly Loeffler, who was appointed in December of 2019.

Likely voters give Warnock 41 percent of the vote, a jump of ten percentage points since late September when he received 31 percent. Republican Doug Collins gets 22 percent, which is unchanged from September, and Loeffler gets 20 percent, compared to 23 percent in September.

If a candidate does not get more than 50 percent of the vote on Election Day, there will be a runoff.

barton

« Reply #53815 on: October 19, 2020, 10:53:07 AM »

heh

Haha.

Kid.  Why would a nasty anti-cop tweet from the very junior staffer of a candidate both of whose parents are cops really be taken seriously.  Kelly disciplined the kid,  continued radiating integrity and the Right Stuff,  and life goes on,  bra.   It Trump ever repudiated something like that from a green staffer,  I'd need a defibrillator for the shock.   

barton

« Reply #53816 on: October 19, 2020, 10:53:53 AM »

Brings to mind - name the 3words in English language beginning with dw.

Do you still own the rights to "dweeb. "?

barton

« Reply #53817 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »

Good post on Sturgis,  Larry.   I posted that article yesterday,  with a non PW option....

This is about Sturgis,  and a motorcycle enthusiast who was actually able to learn something from his experience.   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/17/sturgis-rally-spread/

As the story notes,  his case wasn't counted as Sturgis spread.   All evidence suggests it was.   

And here is a paywall free access to the same story....

https://www.universalpersonality.com/how-the-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-may-have-spread-coronavirus-across-the-upper-midwest/

Gotta admit when I come in after a day or two I tend to skip the pages in between then and now!

As do we all.   I often skim and miss.  Anyway,  I'm staying masked here,  a few miles from Sturgis.   Went to a hardware yesterday where no one was masked.   Turned on my heel,  walked out,  and drove to their leading competitor,  where masks are required.   Free market forces!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53818 on: October 19, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »

heh

No whining

I have already come just short of endorsing Kelly

Just wondering if this tightens that race.  McSally seems confident it will.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53819 on: October 19, 2020, 11:09:10 AM »

heh

No whining

I have already come just short of endorsing Kelly

Just wondering if this tightens that race.  McSally seems confident it will.

McSally seems confident of a lot of things, just as she was in the 2018 race.

And I am sure that Kelly is heartbroken by his failure to win your endorsement.
Pages: 1 ... 3586 3587 [3588] 3589 3590 ... 4288