Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3590 3591 [3592] 3593 3594 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583995 times)

oilcan

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53865 on: October 19, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/food-stamps-federal-judge-blocks-trump-administration-cuts/

Seemingly a just result.  Its just taxpayer cash.

Many of the new recipients will be truly helped - but this doesnt discount the thousands on the program unnecessarily.

What thousands are those?   Maybe you've missed all the stories about food banks running short?   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53866 on: October 19, 2020, 03:56:51 PM »

I don't think she comprehends how immoral and greedy and selfish businesses/top execs are, and how much malfeasance and harm they will rain/reign upon the country if permitted.  I want gov't to leave alone individuals as much as possible (there I'm on board with the Libertarians), but regulate business to keep them from being malign actors.

I think a lot of these Ayn Randy folks are lacking much understanding of human nature, or history.   In every instance where predatory capitalism is given free reign,  economic inequality has grown and the environment degraded.   And workers more trampled on.   

As always,  economic systems can view labor as a commodity,  very abstractly,  and not as human beings seeking higher values in life.
PREDATORY CAPITALISM!
Oh my!

See also: Enron, Deep Water Horizon, Pepsi's Naked Juice, Olay's skin cream, salesforce (dot) com's picketers, Bing's ripoff of Google's search results, Skecher's "calorie-burning" shoes, ABC Food Group's horse meat, Volkswagon's lying diesel emissions test software, and, of course...

The oil companies' lies about energy and climate change plus the cigarette companies' lies about cancer.

Predatory capitalism, indeed, dimward.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #53867 on: October 19, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »

Fucking awesome -

https://news.yahoo.com/london-bridge-attack-murderer-steven-105340468.html

Those tusks come in handy.   I buy mine at Narwhal-Mart.

I go down to Alabama,  where the tusks are looseah.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53868 on: October 19, 2020, 04:03:37 PM »

RCP continues to play games with their presidential polling. Until today's inclusion of the TIPP numbers, they've not put the new Biden/Trump poll on their national polling list and even that one they excluded the head to head rather than listing both as they formerly did.

So, here is the newest YouGov poll:
https://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-news-you-gov-poll-the-tide-turns-against-trump-as-biden-surges-to-his-largestever-lead-among-likely-voters-175644323.html

Yahoo News/YouGov poll: The tide turns against Trump as Biden surges to his largest-ever lead among likely voters

Huh. I wonder why they don't have it.

Here's Morning Consult's, which RCP simply doesn't carry:
https://morningconsult.com/form/2020-u-s-election-tracker/

2020 U.S. Election Tracker: Biden Leads by 9 Points Nationally, America’s Oldest Voters Have Turned on Trump

The 9% of 2016 trump voters now backing Biden vs. the 4% of Hillary voters who now back the abomination, combined with the number uncommitted being about 1/3 of what it was in 2016, speaks to a race with very different contours than 2016.

I’m in favor impaling trump with a Narwhal tusk and chucking his bleeding bloat off a bridge. It would be an excellent coda to his slimy white thug jihad.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #53869 on: October 19, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »

I don't think she comprehends how immoral and greedy and selfish businesses/top execs are, and how much malfeasance and harm they will rain/reign upon the country if permitted.  I want gov't to leave alone individuals as much as possible (there I'm on board with the Libertarians), but regulate business to keep them from being malign actors.

I think a lot of these Ayn Randy folks are lacking much understanding of human nature, or history.   In every instance where predatory capitalism is given free reign,  economic inequality has grown and the environment degraded.   And workers more trampled on.   

As always,  economic systems can view labor as a commodity,  very abstractly,  and not as human beings seeking higher values in life.
PREDATORY CAPITALISM!
Oh my!

See also: Enron, Deep Water Horizon, Pepsi's Naked Juice, Olay's skin cream, salesforce (dot) com's picketers, Bing's ripoff of Google's search results, Skecher's "calorie-burning" shoes, ABC Food Group's horse meat, Volkswagon's lying diesel emissions test software, and, of course...

The oil companies' lies about energy and climate change plus the cigarette companies' lies about cancer.

Red prefers to cry oh my and clutch his pearls.   

In another life,  he will be the one who has to dive for them,  rather than wear them.   

And that'll be getting off easy - no mesothelioma,  no black lung.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53870 on: October 19, 2020, 04:36:01 PM »

When I think of the abuses of capitalism, I often picture the wealthy execs of GM enjoying a lavish company Xmas Eve party, while laid off ex-GM employees are being evicted from their homes at the very same time not too far away.  Merry Xmas.

Or think of Walmart paying below poverty wages so that many of their full-time employees also need to collect food stamps in order to survive.

Or business execs with $1000 gold-plated garbage cans complaining about government waste.

Not to mention Trump University ...

Wihtout even getting into pollution and other health and safety issues.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:56:20 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53871 on: October 19, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »

Good article on private for-profit prisons in Texas, part of the WaPo series on George Floyd's America.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/george-floyd-america/criminal-justice/

Now, more than a quarter-century after it was created, the state jail system is widely viewed as a failure. A 2019 report by the Texas House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence blasted the facilities.

State jails have come to incarcerate people who pose little threat to society at great cost and in ways that don’t increase public safety but do make re-offense more likely,” the report said.

At the time Floyd was at Bartlett, Corrections Corporation of America housed more prisoners than all but three states and the federal government. In 2010, Floyd’s last year at Bartlett, CCA took in nearly $1.7 billion in revenue and made more than $157 million in profit, marking five years of consistent increases.

Detractors accused corporate prisons of menial wages, lax standards for guards and high employee turnover.

CCA determined that it could house George Floyd, State Identification No. 01566124, and the other inmates at Bartlett for less than $30 a day, according to its contract. According to its annual report, the company made a daily profit of $18.20 for every person it imprisoned in 2010.

Much of the cost savings were achieved by having fewer guards, paying them a low rate, and the state not having to pay pensions.   A real boon for labor and the working man.

The whole idea of companies profiting off of imprisoning people is sickening and distorting.  Wouldn't it be better if that $18.20 a day per prisoner was spent on guards salaries, pensions and training for the prisoners, improving prisons, etc.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53872 on: October 19, 2020, 04:57:40 PM »

PREDATORY CAPITALISM!
Oh my!

Red prefers to cry oh my and clutch his pearls.   

In another life,  he will be the one who has to dive for them,  rather than wear them.   

And that'll be getting off easy - no mesothelioma,  no black lung.

Reincarnation is part of today's class on historical religions.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53873 on: October 19, 2020, 06:06:07 PM »

PREDATORY CAPITALISM!
Oh my!

If that list is supposed to represent the evils of “ predatory” capitalism then you have no case.
Nu surprise 

luee

• View Profile
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53875 on: October 19, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »

PREDATORY CAPITALISM!
Oh my!

If that list is supposed to represent the evils of “ predatory” capitalism then you have no case.
Nu surprise

And that is why you are on ignore.

You cannot defend a position, simply deny the other's. No explanation for why X does not apply, simply a statement that it does not.

Lie, deny, and obfuscate.

Or as you would put it, "LOL!"

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53876 on: October 19, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »

For those who don't have their own working definition of the term, this is a pretty good exploration of what it means:
https://www.networkideas.org/news-analysis/2006/04/taming-predatory-capitalism/

The kinds of corruption I mentioned are the ones that did get caught, albeit too late in most of the named circumstances.

There are those who claim that there is no such thing, as the term is redundant - all capitalism is predatory. Somebody wins and somebody loses. But they miss the key element within. Predatory capitalism is exploitive, whether of the employee or the customer or the public, as a result of corrupt practices. So, active deceit is predatory. Deflecting or deceiving inspection services is predatory. Abuse of employees in any number of ways is predatory.

Trump University is another prime example. The GOP engages in predatory practices, but not explicitly in predatory capitalism. The Trump campaign, in its mishandling and misrepresentation of its practices is. The Trump Foundation was.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53877 on: October 19, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »

When I think of the abuses of capitalism, I often picture the wealthy execs of GM enjoying a lavish company Xmas Eve party, while laid off ex-GM employees are being evicted from their homes at the very same time not too far away.  Merry Xmas.

Or think of Walmart paying below poverty wages so that many of their full-time employees also need to collect food stamps in order to survive.

Or business execs with $1000 gold-plated garbage cans complaining about government waste.

Nice fiction.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53878 on: October 19, 2020, 07:13:46 PM »

Herd Immunity sounds remarkably like a final solution... ijs.

Achtung, bitches!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53879 on: October 19, 2020, 07:18:11 PM »

PREDATORY CAPITALISM!
Oh my!

And that is why you are on ignore.

I guess you don’t know how to use the ignore feature 
LOL!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:20:22 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 3590 3591 [3592] 3593 3594 ... 4288