Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3594 3595 [3596] 3597 3598 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583696 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53925 on: October 20, 2020, 10:07:13 AM »

Go outside.  Fascistnews.com, I'm sorry, Foxnews.com will be there when you get back.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53926 on: October 20, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »

Hope Trump blows off the debate.
No idea why Biden is willing to go ahead with another debate.

Trump gave Biden plenty of reasons to cancel.
First off, Trump wouldn't follow the rules in the 1st debate and kept interrupting and ruining the format.  Moreover, Trump likely didn't alert anyone that he had or liekly had the virus prior to the debate.  And his whole entourage refused to wear masks.  All in violation of the debate agreement.

Biden could have simply said he doesn't want to risk catching the virus from Trump or his circle.  And the Trump people don't follow any of the debate rules prior or during the virus.  So Biden won't participate.

Another debate can only benefit Trump.  Biden already well ahead.  No reason to risk it.  No reason to give Trump a potential lifeline.

I agree

But the debate commission is making sure Joe is as well insulated as possible.
Whiney Right Wing fake victimhood is hilarious.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53927 on: October 20, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »

Taming Predatory Capitalism - James K. Galbraith
Good stuff.  For a 2006 article his analysis & prescription sounds very 2020:       
The way forward is a program for growth and justice built on the needs of the working population and the middle class. To begin with, in the United States there must be a powerful demolition of the old political order: We need elections where all votes are cast and counted. The campaign against voter repression is the essential civil rights struggle of our time, even though most progressives don’t seem to realize it yet. Prevailing will require fundamental reform such as the introduction of nationwide vote-by- mail (the Oregon system). Without that, and also many relentless prosecutions, nothing else will be achieved.

The truths are that egalitarian growth is efficient, that speculation must be regulated, that crime starts at the top and that peace is the primary public good. These truths are poison to predators and are the reason predators have fostered and subsidized an entire cynical intellectual movement devoted to “free” markets made up of a class of professor- courtiers now everywhere in view. Taming predatory capitalism could start with breaking this econo-corporate analytical axis, and reviving the concept of countervailing power, first formulated by John Kenneth Galbraith in 1952. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:30:34 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53928 on: October 20, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-william-barr-act-hunter-biden-business-dealings

Oooooo...

Expect to hear that word - KICKBACK - plenty leading up to and during the "debate".
Expect to hear.the phrase, "the fuck you talking about" as the only legitimate response.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53929 on: October 20, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »

Taming Predatory Capitalism - James K. Galbraith
Good stuff.  For a 2006 article his analysis & prescription sounds very 2020:       
The way forward is a program for growth and justice built on the needs of the working population and the middle class. To begin with, in the United States there must be a powerful demolition of the old political order: We need elections where all votes are cast and counted. The campaign against voter repression is the essential civil rights struggle of our time, even though most progressives don’t seem to realize it yet. Prevailing will require fundamental reform such as the introduction of nationwide vote-by- mail (the Oregon system). Without that, and also many relentless prosecutions, nothing else will be achieved.

The truths are that egalitarian growth is efficient, that speculation must be regulated, that crime starts at the top and that peace is the primary public good. These truths are poison to predators and are the reason predators have fostered and subsidized an entire cynical intellectual movement devoted to “free” markets made up of a class of professor- courtiers now everywhere in view. Taming predatory capitalism could start with breaking this econo-corporate analytical axis, and reviving the concept of countervailing power, first formulated by John Kenneth Galbraith in 1952. 

If we had addressed it more assiduously in the intervening years, we would not be where we are today...

but the predators had too big a piece of the pie then and I don't think Obama understood the hazard - being a lawyer, not an economist, is not always a useful thing. (Hello, Jeb Bartlett?)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #53930 on: October 20, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »

Watched the pilot of WW last night,  so now I grasp the reference.    Good dramedy so far.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53931 on: October 20, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »

How Trump plowed through $1 billion, losing cash advantage

Since 2017, more than $39 million has been paid to firms controlled by Parscale, who was ousted as campaign manager over the summer. An additional $273.2 million was paid to American Made Media Consultants, a Delaware limited liability company, whose owners are not publicly disclosed.

Campaigns typically reveal in mandatory disclosures who their primary vendors are. But by routing money to Parscale’s firms, as well as American Made Media Consultants, Trump satisfied the basic disclosure requirements without detailing the ultimate recipients.

Other questionable expenditures by Trump and the RNC that are included in campaign finance disclosures:

Nearly $100,000 spent on copies of Donald Trump Jr.’s book “Triggered,” which helped propel it to the top of the New York Times bestsellers list.

— Over $7.4 million spent at Trump-branded properties since 2017.
  You wonder how much went into the pockets of Trumps family and campaign staff.     
Trump tapped his political organization to cover exorbitant legal fees related to his impeachment. Aides made flashy displays of their newfound wealth — including a fleet of luxury vehicles purchased by Brad Parscale, his former campaign manager.

Meanwhile, a web of limited liability companies hid more than $310 million in spending from disclosure, records show.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53932 on: October 20, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »

From my neighbor, writing incognito on Facebook to avoid being blocked

there's a guy who holds a lot of power, in fact he's been around power circles for close to 50 years. He never made a lot of money because if he did it might look like he cheated or stole for his money so....he found a way for his kid to make money, millions of dollars and he would never be found out because it never showed up in his pocket.
The only thing is, his kid had to share the money with him. 
There was a “crack" in the scheme....and the kid was a bit ungrateful and really didn't think he should line the pockets of the whole family with the money his daddy was able to get into his hands.

But, what was he to do?

Then one day his computer broke and he had to have it fixed. The geek that repaired his computer made a copy of his hard drive and therein lies the problem. The geek sent off this money-making scheme to a newspaper because this ungrateful son stiffed the repair man and and whoa (sic)is me....the paper exposed his daddy for the wrongdoing and all the other geeks piled up on the newspaper and wouldn't you know it.?..they squelched the story to protect daddy.

Oh well, I think I'll go watch the dueling interviews on regular tv....if  you know what I mean.

LOL!

The best explained article on this subject, period.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:00:56 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53933 on: October 20, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »

Biden's response to Trump's declaration that Biden would listen to the scientists:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1318170176660135936

"...yes"

And the next day:
"Biden wants to listen to Dr. Fauci," Trump says, prompting boos and yells of "lock him up!"

Works for the base.

That's about it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:12:08 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #53934 on: October 20, 2020, 12:11:33 PM »

Please pray for Jeff Bridges, he has been diagnosed with Lymphoma. He is a cool guy, here is my story about when I met Jeff Bridges...

On the day of Roy Rogers' funeral I had an audition for a Western at 20th Century Fox, I am sure Roy would have understood and approved of me missing the funeral for the audition. It is hard to get auditions, and this was for a big budget Western at 20th Century Fox.

They had my name on a list at the gate at 20th Century Fox, and the guard let me in and told me where to go. I drove right up and parked right by the sound stage. It was awesome. They gave me the total star treatment. The guard called me "Sir." It was great.

So I go into the sound stage, and there is Jeff Bridges, and a couple other people. They handed me a piece of paper with a scene on it, and I had to do it cold with no preparation, I had to play a cowboy who was robbing another cowboy, and he was pretending to be a preacher as he was robbing the guy, and acting like he was helping him to get into Heaven by relieving him of his worldly goods. I did horrible. But, they were cool, and we talked for a minute, then they excused me and that was it. I never got called back on it. And it was for an untitled Western so I do not know if they ever made it. I know I could have nailed the scene, but I needed a good director to direct me. I can get there cold if a good director directs me. But it is best if I have time to prepare, plus have a good director. I am good at cold readings, I love auditions, but I flopped on that one, but they were all cool about it. I just did not get hired. But it was cool to meet Jeff Bridges.

I said a prayer for Jeff Bridges, and I still hope to work with him someday, as an actor, or as a producer, who knows? We will see what happens. I plan to do some directing too. We will see what happens. Anyhow, I pray that Jeff Bridges beats the Lymphoma. Jeff Bridges is one of the coolest people in Hollywood.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53935 on: October 20, 2020, 12:38:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1318230897372631042

Stepien says that the Trump campaign will be buying $55 million in ads for the last week of the campaign.

"RNC is paying through coordinated campaign in AZ, IA, MI, NC, WI, he says.

"Trump is paying for ads in AZ, FL, GA, ME-2, MI, NC, NV, OH, PA, WI, he says."

He says they have IA and OH wrapped up. But there they are spending limited resources in them, anyway. And seeing them defending NC and GA, which Trump won by ~4 and over 5 percent, is great.

barton

« Reply #53936 on: October 20, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »

TONY,

my dad liked to say that lymphoma was one of those cancers that you could just outlive.  IOW, it often progresses so slowly that the person ends up dying of something else.  That was what happened to dad.  I haven't seen the news about Jeff, but if he has non-Hodgkins lymphoma, he could have a good chance of living a long life. 

The Dude abides. 

barton

« Reply #53937 on: October 20, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »

there's a guy who holds a lot of power, in fact he's been around power circles for close to 50 years. He never made a lot of money because if he did it might look like he cheated or stole for his money so....he found a way for his kid to make money, millions of dollars and he would never be found out because it never showed up in his pocket.
There was a “crack" in the scheme....and the kid was a bit ungrateful and really didn't think he should line the pockets of the whole family with the money his daddy was able to get into his hands.

But, what was he to do?

Then one day his computer broke and he had to have it fixed. The geek that repaired his computer made a copy of his hard drive and therein lies the problem. The geek sent off this money-making scheme to a newspaper because this ungrateful son stiffed the repair man and and whoa (sic)is me....the paper exposed his daddy for the wrongdoing and all the other geeks piled up on the newspaper and wouldn't you know it.?..they squelched the story to protect daddy.

The fuck you talking about?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53938 on: October 20, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »

President Donald Trump told White House chief of staff Mark Meadows his tweets about declassifying all Russia documents weren't an order to declassify or release those records, according to a sworn statement filed in court on Tuesday.

"The President indicated to me that his statements on Twitter were not self-executing declassification orders and do not require the declassification or release of any particular documents," Meadows wrote.

He added that Trump's tweets "related to" authority the President delegated to Attorney General William Barr to decide what records should be declassified.

The statement comes after a judge asked for clarity on why the Trump tweets appeared to be in direct opposition to the White House's position not to declassify the Russia records. But Meadows and the White House on Tuesday maintained that no more records needed to be released.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53939 on: October 20, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »

But, what was he to do?

The fuck you talking about?

His "neighbor" is making up stories. Ward is approving of the stories.

And he still doesn't want to talk about COVID-19, racism, or lie after lie after lie from Trump.
Pages: 1 ... 3594 3595 [3596] 3597 3598 ... 4288