Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3640 3641 [3642] 3643 3644 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584099 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #54615 on: October 26, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

Kid, you asked if I thought RCP was pro-Trump.

No, I think it is pro-GOP. And I think it actively misrepresents things in Trump's favor.

Today's simple example is their having IBD/TIPP as +6

You really need a rest.  Chart shows IBD as +7.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54616 on: October 26, 2020, 11:13:33 AM »

Republicans take Senate lead - 46-45, with 9 tossups.

This is up from 46-47, 7 tossup less than a week ago.

Newest state to tossups status is - as I projected - ARIZONA

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/senate/2020_elections_senate_map.html

I suspect FOUR of these races are pretty much locked up as Republican.

Montana, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.

Thus Republicans would need just 1 of the other 5 to keep control.

I suspect it will be 52-48.  Wouldn't be surprised at 51.  Not 53 Republican victories

Most worrisome are Maine, which seems to stay steady vs Collins - and Michigan, where James likely doesn't have enough to top the pro governor masses.

1) That's FIVE races, not four, Kid. Learn to count.

What ever do you mean?

Montana, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina = 5 races, not 4.

Are you slow or what?!

No.  It's 4.  Look at the tossups on the chart.

Loeffler isn't a tossup.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #54617 on: October 26, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »

Anyone see 60 mins.? He just gets crazier and crazier. Than he walked out on poor Leslie.

---Fact check: Trump makes at least 16 false or misleading claims to '60 Minutes'---

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/25/politics/fact-check-trump-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/index.html
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54618 on: October 26, 2020, 11:18:16 AM »

Not sure why Kid or Redfacedward failed to pick this up and report it here (partisan lying cocksuckers?), but in the Thursday WSJ it said, "Corporate records reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show no role for Joe Biden" in Hunter's alleged business dealings.

That's very different than how the Trump family business has been purported to operate (consider all the money from his campaign that ends up in the family business, for example), and it screws up the WH preferred narrative.

Heh & LOL!!

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54619 on: October 26, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »

I told you already - Hunter Biden is a non issue for me

Pay attention

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #54620 on: October 26, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/senate/2020_elections_senate_map.html

I suspect it will be 52-48.  Wouldn't be surprised at 51.  Not 53 Republican victories

Most worrisome are Maine, which seems to stay steady vs Collins - and Michigan, where James likely doesn't have enough to top the pro governor masses.

What ever do you mean?

Are you slow or what?!

Loeffler isn't a tossup.

Poll: Biden, Trump virtually tied in Georgia

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/26/biden-trump-georgia-poll-432460

New poll puts Joe Biden strongly ahead on Michigan, Wisconsin and must-win Pennsylvania, the states which handed the White House to Donald Trump

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8880465/New-poll-puts-Joe-Biden-strongly-ahead-Michigan-Wisconsin-win-Pennsylvania.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #54621 on: October 26, 2020, 11:40:50 AM »

Pay attention

The issue is the fact that you fail to confront willful lying on the part of YOUR candidate.

Sad.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54622 on: October 26, 2020, 11:45:14 AM »

What ever do you mean?

Are you slow or what?!

Loeffler isn't a tossup.

Poll: Biden, Trump virtually tied in Georgia

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/26/biden-trump-georgia-poll-432460

New poll puts Joe Biden strongly ahead on Michigan, Wisconsin and must-win Pennsylvania, the states which handed the White House to Donald Trump

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8880465/New-poll-puts-Joe-Biden-strongly-ahead-Michigan-Wisconsin-win-Pennsylvania.html

Yeah.  Trump will need Wisconsin after he loses PA.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54623 on: October 26, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »

Pay attention

The issue is the fact that you fail to confront willful lying on the part of YOUR candidate.

Sad.

I haven't commented one way or the other on what you view as Trump's lies.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #54624 on: October 26, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »

Pay attention

Sad.

I haven't commented one way or the other on what you view as Trump's lies.

Sure you have.

And you embrace his misogyny, too, with your Harris comments. Sad to say you're supposed to be raising a daughter. We feel for her.

Now run along and help Rudy with "tucking in his shirt". I bet you're good at that.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54625 on: October 26, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »

Anyone see 60 mins.? He just gets crazier and crazier. Than he walked out on poor Leslie.

---Fact check: Trump makes at least 16 false or misleading claims to '60 Minutes'---

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/25/politics/fact-check-trump-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/index.html

Thought it was great, Luee.

I actually appreciate the edit by CBS and the fair shake they gave Trump in questioning Biden/Harris.

Was there some Biden/Harris stuff that would have been unflattering left on the cutting room floor?  We won't ever know that, likely.  But they showed enough "bad light" stuff to satisfy me that it was played down the middle

60 Minutes doesn't survive for so long with such excellent ratings by poorly produced efforts

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #54626 on: October 26, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »

Getting it right in Wisconsin:
Almost two months had passed since Chinese health officials first described a fast-moving new coronavirus that had jumped the species barrier from animals to humans. By the time President Donald Trump strode into the White House briefing room on the evening of Feb. 26, the virus had killed more than 2,700 people in China and forced the lockdown of 11 million residents in Wuhan. Infections in Italy were rising by an astonishing 40% a day.

That night Trump assured Americans, “We’re very, very ready for this, for anything.”

Then he held aloft a report co-produced by the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security ranking 195 countries on their readiness to confront a pandemic.

“The United States,” he said, “is rated number one most prepared.”

The nation did indeed rank first on the Global Health Security Index. But the president never mentioned the report’s ominous central finding: “No country is fully prepared for epidemics or pandemics. Collectively, international preparedness is weak.”

Moreover, the index revealed a number of U.S. flaws that have proved crippling in the fight against COVID-19. America received the lowest possible score for public confidence in government; low rankings among the index’s 60 high-income countries for doctors per capita (38th) and hospital beds per capita (40th); and a dismal rating for access to health care — 175th out of 195 countries.

What the index could not have predicted — what stunned the nation's public health experts as months passed — was America’s lethargic and inconsistent response, and its failure to follow basic precepts of its own pandemic playbook.

"It's not that the index measured anything inappropriately, it's that none of it was acted on," said Joe Smyser, CEO of the national health care nonprofit Public Good Projects. "I don't think we've ever failed on this scale. The level of failure is almost inconceivable."

The pandemic playbook, passed down from President Barack Obama to President Donald Trump, had been one of the nation's key planning documents: a 69-page blueprint laying out the decisions to be made and agencies to be mobilized in a health disaster. Throughout its pages, the document stressed the need for an early public health response coordinated by the federal government.

That did not happen.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel interviews with public health experts and reviews of numerous studies by government agencies, watchdog groups and scientists reveal a cascade of blunders that contributed to the deaths of more Americans in the pandemic than died in the Korean, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined.

Among the most serious lapses:

Money for public health had been cut steadily for decades.

The cuts became critical because America's leaders ignored warnings about the dire consequences should the federal government abandon its central role in a pandemic, and leave states to fend for themselves.

When this scenario occurred, some states were forced to compete with one another in order to purchase scarce medical supplies. Further, in the absence of detailed federal guidelines, states imposed a hodgepodge of lockdown policies, only to have some undermined by politicians, including the president.

Despite more than a decade of scientific warnings about the specific threat posed by coronaviruses, the government and drug companies allowed a potential vaccine to be shelved for three years instead of testing it in human trials.

Trump routinely dismissed the advice of his own health experts, downplaying the severity of the pandemic. The president told journalist Bob Woodward, as recounted in the book "Rage," that he played down the pandemic to avoid triggering panic.

While leaders of other countries united their citizens behind the idea of collective sacrifice through lockdowns and other measures, U.S. leaders, especially the president, politicized the pandemic.

The report in the Journal-Sentinel is quite long and includes a timeline of the failure of the Trump GOP, and excerpts like this: Asked why the U.S. lacked basic medical supplies and left states to find them on their own, the HHS spokesperson said the Strategic National Stockpile "was not designed or congressionally funded to respond to a nationwide pandemic."

The HHS website, by contrast, describes the national stockpile as "organized to support any public health threat."

There were other explanations for the lack of basic medical supplies, according to the HHS spokesperson. Critical supplies were manufactured overseas, the U.S. had difficulty early on ensuring that supplies went to the states that needed them most, and finally, she said, "unknowns about the virus itself led to overuse of PPE in hospitals and treatment centers."

Lurie, the former assistant secretary for preparedness and response, offered a much harsher view of the federal response to COVID-19.

“I’ve never seen a situation where you are having a national and international emergency and the response is not being coordinated by the federal government," she said. “For the federal government to virtually abdicate responsibility is unheard of.”

And this: At various times since launching Operation Warp Speed, Trump forecast that the vaccine could be ready by October, before Election Day or by the end of the year.

Experts in public health and vaccine development have dismissed all of these dates as unrealistic.

“It’s been very damaging,” said Hamburg, the former FDA commissioner. “There is a process for how vaccines need to be made. There has been an effort made to accelerate that process, but it is absolutely essential that scientific rigor be the driving force, not political pressure.”

"The government has appropriately invested heavily in vaccine development, but its rhetoric has politicized the development process and led to growing public distrust," editors of The New England Journal of Medicine wrote last week. Their withering editorial declared that in dealing with the new coronavirus, America's leaders had "failed at almost every step" and "taken a crisis and turned it into a tragedy."

And this: Trump has defended the actions his administration took, especially the travel restrictions, saying the measures saved an ever-shifting number of lives.

Others speak not of lives saved, but those lost due to delays and missteps.

“It has to be in the tens of thousands,” said Lurie at the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations.

She pointed to reporting by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, which has produced estimates of the lives that could be saved simply through consistent mask-wearing.

The institute, an independent research center that is part of the University of Washington, projects that by Feb. 1, 2021, the U.S. death toll from COVID-19 will have reached 395,000. Projections by the institute's model range from 374,000 deaths to 421,000.

But the institute also struck a note of hope:

Its model projects 79,000 American lives can be saved by Feb. 1 by increasing mask use from the current estimate of 70% to 95%.

While 95% mask use may seem unprecedented, it isn't. It's the same level achieved by the nation of Singapore.

Singapore, which has 5.8 million people, roughly the same as the state of Wisconsin, has reported 27 deaths from COVID-19.

https://www.jsonline.com/in-depth/news/2020/10/14/america-had-worlds-best-pandemic-response-plan-playbook-why-did-fail-coronavirus-covid-19-timeline/3587922001/

No matter what, Trump fucked up. He has the blood on his tiny hands. Yet, Kid and his ilk continue to try to protect him and focus on the minutiae of Rasmussen polls or make fun of Kamala Harris's first name, because in Kid's tiny self-driven myopic world, America  and truth and morality doesn't matter as much as trying to gainsay reality in order to "win" an argument on the Internet.

Trump is despicable. That's proven, but anyone who would attempt to shift the reality of the abject irresponsibility and criminal negligence of the Trump White House with their "response" to the pandemic for such trivial reasons as kid presents here?

THAT is truly loathsome.

Loathsome, kid.

Loathsome.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54627 on: October 26, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »

"You want me to call him "the candidate"?  Dont you think that will make it look like I dont remember his name?  I think it will make it look like I dont know his name."

-  Jed Bartlett....

Meet Joe Biden - who DOESN'T remember the candidate's name.

heh

"I will put my cognitive ablity against his any day"

- Yeah - just dont ask him to take the simplest of tests.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54628 on: October 26, 2020, 01:13:24 PM »

TRUMP TAKES THE LEAD!!!!!!

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/white_house_watch_oct26

The latest national telephone and online survey finds Trump edging Democrat Joe Biden 48% to 47% among Likely U.S. Voters. Three percent (3%) prefer some other candidate, while two percent (2%) remain undecided.

Last Wednesday, Biden held a 49% to 46% lead, but the race has been tightening since early in the month. This is the first time Trump has been ahead since mid-September

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54629 on: October 26, 2020, 01:15:06 PM »

Trump earns 84% support among Republicans. Biden has 77% of the Democrat vote and leads by seven among voters not affiliated with either major party.

Holy smokes!  Just 77% of Dems for Biden?

Quite telling.
Pages: 1 ... 3640 3641 [3642] 3643 3644 ... 4288