Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3651 3652 [3653] 3654 3655 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1882462 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #54780 on: October 27, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »

I've generally seen "racism" used to mean prejudice + discriminatory treatment.  In that usage,  power differential is implied -- you can't succeed at discrimination without having power to do so.   If I walk around thinking "Norwegians suck, " I harbor prejudice.  If I successfully forbid Norwegians to enter my herring market,  then I'm a racist.   Racism,  in the current parlance,  is prejudice made manifest in an oppressive way.   

That said,  I don't think arguing semantics should obscure matters so that we can't all come together on making a more accepting world.   And I see no problem explaining what BLM means to someone who does not understand the "too. "   But partisans tend to entrench and persist in believing what white racist propagandists have told them BLM means.   It's really painful to watch.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #54781 on: October 27, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »

And Texas and Georgia look like they are seriously in play!

Dems internal polling likely says so - Kamala in TX today and Joe in Georgia

You dont want to get caught having lost the election - and having TX and GA being close - while not having taken your shot there.   (that right, Hillary?)

James Comey isn’t coming through that door!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #54782 on: October 27, 2020, 03:35:15 PM »

The term "racist" has come to convey the same thing as the term "bigot" which isn't really used anymore.

I see no difference in these two sentences

"Minorities can be bigoted"
"Minorities can be racist"

I'm in a facebook group for my neighborhood in brooklyn.  50-60% black.  The things you see posted about jews are wild.  Usually someone will post something some news article about how the hasidic population gets away with flouting the law and holding mass gatherings (weddings and funerals and religious observations)  and without mask usage and then the comments section will just be post after post about how the jews get away with everything and how nasty they can be etc.  No hasidic jews are in this group but there are jews who try to stick up for jews in general because of the racist comments that seem to target all jews.  It's a mess.  The majority of the people commenting are blacks so most of the comments and likes and what not are the anti-jew ones. 

Now to me ... as a neutral observer... these are racial comments.  The black people don't say "it's only the hasidic jews i have a problem with" which would be slightly more understandable because the hasidic are major property owners / landlords etc... the comments are against "jews"

Some jews then comment back that the term "Jew" itself is derogatory etc... like I said it gets wild in the comments.  I don't have a stake either way.  Although my landlord is also a hasidic jew as was my previous landlord and the one before that as well... but I don't blame my issues with these landlords on their faith or their race.  I think they're just shitty landlords.   Not all landlords are bad. Not all jews are landlords. And i'm sure not all jewish landlords are bad.    But i think after 50-60 years of blacks dealing with jewish landlords some animosity is to be expected.

Anyway...I'm getting off-topic but i've seen enough animus to understand that people say racist shit and hold racist views regardless of how much power they have. 
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #54783 on: October 27, 2020, 03:36:03 PM »

I've generally seen "racism" used to mean prejudice + discriminatory treatment.  In that usage,  power differential is implied -- you can't succeed at discrimination without having power to do so.   If I walk around thinking "Norwegians suck, " I harbor prejudice.  If I successfully forbid Norwegians to enter my herring market,  then I'm a racist.   Racism,  in the current parlance,  is prejudice made manifest in an oppressive way.   

That said,  I don't think arguing semantics should obscure matters so that we can't all come together on making a more accepting world.   And I see no problem explaining what BLM means to someone who does not understand the "too. "   But partisans tend to entrench and persist in believing what white racist propagandists have told them BLM means.   It's really painful to watch.

Back when I gave a shit I tried to explain:

Racism = Prejudice  + Power.

Problem is the number of folks like bambu who truly believe white people are being persecuted for being white.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #54784 on: October 27, 2020, 03:49:10 PM »

The term "racist" has come to convey the same thing as the term "bigot" which isn't really used anymore.

I'm in a facebook group for my neighborhood in brooklyn.  50-60% black.  The things you see posted about jews are wild.  Usually someone will post something some news article about how the hasidic population gets away with flouting the law and holding mass gatherings (weddings and funerals and religious observations)  and without mask usage and then the comments section will just be post after post about how the jews get away with everything and how nasty they can be etc.  No hasidic jews are in this group but there are jews who try to stick up for jews in general because of the racist comments that seem to target all jews.  It's a mess.  The majority of the people commenting are blacks so most of the comments and likes and what not are the anti-jew ones. 

Now to me ... as a neutral observer... these are racial comments.  The black people don't say "it's only the hasidic jews i have a problem with" which would be slightly more understandable because the hasidic are major property owners / landlords etc... the comments are against "jews"

Some jews then comment back that the term "Jew" itself is derogatory etc... like I said it gets wild in the comments.  I don't have a stake either way.  Although my landlord is also a hasidic jew as was my previous landlord and the one before that as well... but I don't blame my issues with these landlords on their faith or their race.  I think they're just shitty landlords.   Not all landlords are bad. Not all jews are landlords. And i'm sure not all jewish landlords are bad.    But i think after 50-60 years of blacks dealing with jewish landlords some animosity is to be expected.

Anyway...I'm getting off-topic but i've seen enough animus to understand that people say racist shit and hold racist views regardless of how much power they have.

Usually the biggest assholes lay the loudest and smelliest farts. You’re hanging out with assholes.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #54785 on: October 27, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »

Melania debuting her standup!

Lyndon Johnson

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #54786 on: October 27, 2020, 03:59:52 PM »

Usually the biggest assholes lay the loudest and smelliest farts. You’re hanging out with assholes.

Its a facebook group.  I wouldn't say i'm hanging out with them anymore than i'm hanging out with you or bambu.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54787 on: October 27, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/27/politics/election-2020-senate-race-rankings-one-week/index.html

Dems add 3, lose 1, fall short.

Except that CNN doesn't say "add 3, lose 1," Kid. You made that part up.

They say "add 4, lose 1, with two toss-ups."

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/race-ratings/senate
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #54788 on: October 27, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »

Its a facebook group.  I wouldn't say i'm hanging out with them anymore than i'm hanging out with you or bambu.

Exactly.

Hanging out does not have to be in the physical sense.
I consider what I do here is hanging out.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #54789 on: October 27, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »

Meanwhile, Trump is running around like he’s the Pied Piper of Covid!

He’s out there creating a rapidly spreading nationwide Jonestown.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #54790 on: October 27, 2020, 04:44:45 PM »

A French teacher said something that offended a Muslim, so the Muslim cut the teacher's head off. So, the French people hit the streets to protest.

Now, the Muslim nations are all boycotting French products.

It is all bullshit. The Muslims need to stop the hate.

You cannot cut someone's head off just because they offended you.

Our cultures are so far apart sometimes, and some people are always ready to go to war, over the same old bullshit.

We need to evolve and grow so that we can have peace, we cannot keep fighting over the same old bullshit.

Progress is being made as some Muslim nations are improving relations with Israel, and some good things are happening, we need to continue to work towards a more peaceful planet. And things are better in Israel now, they do not have suicide bombers like in the old days, our world is getting better.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #54791 on: October 27, 2020, 04:44:56 PM »

Problem is the number of folks like bambu who truly believe white people are being persecuted for being white.

Indeed...

https://www.socialworktoday.com/news/dn_060311.shtml

Whites Believe They Are Victims of Racism More Often Than Blacks

Whites believe that they have replaced blacks as the primary victims of racial discrimination in contemporary America, according to a new study from researchers at Tufts University's School of Arts and Sciences and Harvard Business School. The findings, say the authors, show that America has not achieved the "post-racial" society that some predicted in the wake of Barack Obama's election.

Both whites and blacks agree that anti-black racism has decreased over the last 60 years, according to the study. However, whites believe that anti-white racism has increased and is now a bigger problem than anti-black racism.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #54792 on: October 27, 2020, 04:57:14 PM »

A French teacher said something that offended a Muslim, so the Muslim cut the teacher's head off. So, the French people hit the streets to protest.

Now, the Muslim nations are all boycotting French products.

It is all bullshit. The Muslims need to stop the hate.

You cannot cut someone's head off just because they offended you.

Our cultures are so far apart sometimes, and some people are always ready to go to war, over the same old bullshit.

We need to evolve and grow so that we can have peace, we cannot keep fighting over the same old bullshit.

Progress is being made as some Muslim nations are improving relations with Israel, and some good things are happening, we need to continue to work towards a more peaceful planet. And things are better in Israel now, they do not have suicide bombers like in the old days, our world is getting better.

Salute,

Tony V.

Trouble is...it's all real.
The cartoons resurrected...why on earth would anyone think that was a good idea, given what happened last time.
Then the beheading...the alleged murderer shot dead, 11 others arrested...so seemingly not a lone offender.
Protests by the People of France.
Now boycotts in Muslim countries of French products.  [Aussie, Kiwi, etc did the same thing when France refused to stop testing atomic bombs in the South Pacific].
France was warned about its immigration policies and open borders many times...it refused to listen...now it has what it has.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54793 on: October 27, 2020, 04:59:07 PM »

Indeed...

https://www.socialworktoday.com/news/dn_060311.shtml

Whites Believe They Are Victims of Racism More Often Than Blacks

Whites believe that they have replaced blacks as the primary victims of racial discrimination in contemporary America, according to a new study from researchers at Tufts University's School of Arts and Sciences and Harvard Business School. The findings, say the authors, show that America has not achieved the "post-racial" society that some predicted in the wake of Barack Obama's election.

Both whites and blacks agree that anti-black racism has decreased over the last 60 years, according to the study. However, whites believe that anti-white racism has increased and is now a bigger problem than anti-black racism.

The whites are wrong.

Hugely wrong and by any metric other than personal bias.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54794 on: October 27, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »

It seems that we are discussing racial attitudes as racism.

I think that those attitudes are reflect an inherent distrust of another group. 

At the end of the day, though, our distrust for each other is generally rooted in a lack of experience dealing with various cultures, social groups, ethnic groups, religions, etc, and ending that circumstance means adjusting the power structure to make our society more inclusive.

Still, knowing that, and accepting that things can be different isn't enough. Even if we were to all agree with the premise that an inclusive society is a more just and fair society, how to get there remains the real question.

And I think that takes place one conversation at a time.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:02:49 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 3651 3652 [3653] 3654 3655 ... 4288