Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3680 3681 [3682] 3683 3684 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005780 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #55215 on: October 30, 2020, 11:55:39 AM »

Went back and looked at Greenwald.   I think The Intercept editors are right.  They have certainly not been all in on Biden,  and were reasonable in asking him to firm up his evidence.   He's now a regular on Tucker Carlson -- whaat?   Greenwald, claimant to be a champion of independent journalism,  and he's hanging with Carlson.   Did he have a ministroke or something?   

Yes,  BoDiddley, I'd agree his angle on the story ".... is a rather problematic set of standards that simply encourages and rewards foreign interference, dirty tricks, and illegal activity. "   

barton

« Reply #55216 on: October 30, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »

I think this is just right.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/opinions/trump-clemency-flood-of-pardons-osler/index.html

As with so many things Trump, it prompts me to want us to reconsider the pardon power of a president.

FWiW I was questioning the expansion of executive power long before Trump.   Way too many things now a POTUS can do unilaterally and unchecked.   Some of Obama's executive actions bothered me,  too.   We need to get back to having Congress take the reins more,  and also get some bills passed.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55218 on: October 30, 2020, 12:19:07 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/10/29/glenn-greenwald-intercept-resigns

Co-founder resigns, claiming censorship by the editors over negative Biden material he was going to put in a story.

They insist they did not tell him to take it out, but to substantiate it. He failed to.

Greenwald has been a major factor in normalizing the views of hard right white supremacist and neo- Nazis.

WCOTC

Haven't read the story yet,  but wasn't Greenwald admired by the Left,  back in the day?   I mean,  wasn't he with The Guardian,  and did a series on Edward Snowden as a hero of democracy and transparency?  Is this the same guy?

Greenwald is the same guy running a long con on the left, just like Julian Assange and Wikileaks.

Full disclosure:

My disgust with Greenwald goes back to his dealings with Matthew Hale.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2019/5/20/1859118/-The-Tale-of-the-Pontifex-Maximus-and-His-Lawyer-Glenn-Greenwald-s-strange-far-right-blind-spot
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:30:13 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55219 on: October 30, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

Texas's having exceeded their 2016 total votes yesterday, with a day left in early voting, gets to be combined with a poll done a few weeks ago in which more than 30% of them said they planned to vote in person on Election Day.

If that happens, it would mean that they will blow way past any turnout figure seen in the last 30 years and possibly ever.

That would be amazing, regardless of outcome!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #55220 on: October 30, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/30/us/trump-biden-election?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

President Trump has called off plans to appear at the Trump International Hotel on election night and is likely to be at the White House instead, according to a person familiar with the plans.

He's considering planning a quieter and smaller gathering.

Its probably a reflection of Trump's innate kindness, empathy and concern for the health of his supporters, as while we have turned the corner on covid, there may be a few in the herd that could get sick and the president would never put his own interests ahead of the vulmerable.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:22:40 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55221 on: October 30, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/10/29/miami-voter-turnout-democrats-433643

Miami says the pre-election turnout is way too low among Dems.

Allow me to summarize -- for the next few days,  we will be seeing news stories that can scare the living shit out of us (those who want the corrupt autocracy to end).   

Make PR a state.   Then sell Florida to Denmark.   Save buying all new flags with an extra star sewn on.

Make DC and PR states. Leave the flag the way it is by giving WVA back to VA and making one Dakota.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55223 on: October 30, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/opinions/trump-clemency-flood-of-pardons-osler/index.html

As with so many things Trump, it prompts me to want us to reconsider the pardon power of a president.

FWiW I was questioning the expansion of executive power long before Trump.   Way too many things now a POTUS can do unilaterally and unchecked.   Some of Obama's executive actions bothered me,  too.   We need to get back to having Congress take the reins more,  and also get some bills passed.

Difference being Obama Executive Orders were last resorts with a Congress that blocked everything:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/republican-party-obstructionism-victory-trump-214498

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #55224 on: October 30, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/10/29/miami-voter-turnout-democrats-433643

Miami says the pre-election turnout is way too low among Dems.

Allow me to summarize -- for the next few days,  we will be seeing news stories that can scare the living shit out of us (those who want the corrupt autocracy to end).   

Make PR a state.   Then sell Florida to Denmark.   Save buying all new flags with an extra star sewn on.

Make DC and PR states. Leave the flag the way it is by giving WVA back to VA and making one Dakota.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #55225 on: October 30, 2020, 12:58:35 PM »

You know you've got it all wrong tolerance, immigration, security, wise...when ladies and men are being hacked to death in your churches and cafes opposite them.
Women and men in America are lucky...they can carry guns.
Guns are great...for shooting terrorists, home invaders etc coming to hack you up and end your life on earth.
Elderly ladies going to church in America can carry guns.
In many countries they cannot...and are sitting ducks, easy prey for terrorists.

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

barton

« Reply #55226 on: October 30, 2020, 01:02:01 PM »

Difference being Obama Executive Orders were last resorts with a Congress that blocked everything:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/republican-party-obstructionism-victory-trump-214498

True.  In that blockade situation, if EO was less of an option, that would turn the public stink-eye back on Congress.  "The President isn't going to fix this logjam, so you guys need to stop bickering and get back to work.  If you don't, we'll vote you out!"

barton

« Reply #55227 on: October 30, 2020, 01:10:14 PM »

This group

https://www.sunrisemovement.org/?ms=SunriseMovement

is like me:  they're backing Biden, and then probably will start protesting him on January 22nd.  Biden is a vehicle for restoring democracy and decency, but I have no illusions that he will really move the needle all that much on policy progress that this nation needs.  It's thrilling and scary to think that a couple of states, in their tight Senate contests, might determine if he can make much progress at all.  I hope he and a reasonable congress can save the Tongass - the last major stand of temperate zone rainforest.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 3680 3681 [3682] 3683 3684 ... 4288