Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3689 3690 [3691] 3692 3693 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1882310 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #55350 on: October 31, 2020, 10:37:07 AM »

Found another cousin of Larry. He lost his job, but like Larry a great student of history: https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=uh3_news_vert_gs&p=how+not+to+reference+the+holocaust#id=2&vid=949bfbfdf208056325bb1f337b9d8f50&action=click

Of course, Josh won't ban Larry, though Larry is on record saying he did it deliberately and willfully.  Larry keeps his job at this media outlet.

What's the matter, Josh? If kid or red did that, willfully and deliberately misused the Holocaust to demonize a political opponent, you'd be thinking of banning them, if not having done so, already.

Maybe you don't have the stones to do what's right?

People have been suspended here for far less egregious commentary.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:52:30 AM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #55351 on: October 31, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »

Should let me take over from Josh.
You'd be surprised how quickly folks would get banned.
I'd clean this place right up.
Probably be almost no one left to post, but it wouldn't be dysfunctional.

Some times folks have to realize that they made their point, made their position known and move on.  Endless bickering and trying to win on the internet is fairly mindless.  Take a break.  Go feed the birds or clean that bathroom mildew ...

Dysfunctional?
Or free speech?

When debates spiral down like the most recent one,  it means a political forum is alive and functional, but it also means a mod has to say at some point:  we're just looping now, everyone's just restating the same points over and over,  so let's turn the page. 
Then start a Garbage Bin thread,  and all future posts that circle back to that same argument are moved to the Bin,  where anyone is free to paw through it if that's what turns them on.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55352 on: October 31, 2020, 10:54:17 AM »

Some times folks have to realize that they made their point, made their position known and move on.  Endless bickering and trying to win on the internet is fairly mindless.  Take a break.  Go feed the birds or clean that bathroom mildew ...

Dysfunctional?
Or free speech?

When debates spiral down like the most recent one,  it means a political forum is alive and functional, but it also means a mod has to say at some point:  we're just looping now, everyone's just restating the same points over and over,  so let's turn the page. 
Then start a Garbage Bin thread,  and all future posts that circle back to that same argument are moved to the Bin,  where anyone is free to paw through it if that's what turns them on.

I don't think this conversation should be swept under the carpet merely because it bothers you to read the many posts that clearly show how disgusting Larry's comments were.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #55353 on: October 31, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

Shaken, not stirred.

I laughed

As a teenager in the 60s, Connery as Bond, James Bond, was the epitome of cool.

The beautiful women, cars, the quick one-liners, suave, always in control

It was a fantasy but it was fun.

RIP Sean Connery

barton

« Reply #55354 on: October 31, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »

Probably need another 8 posts to make your position clear ...

With no special insight, I'm going to predict a landslide for Biden.

I think there's enough mail buggering going on that,  even with some good federal court rulings, there's going to be suppression of Dem votes.   I think it will be pretty close on electoral votes,  and it may be Friday before we really know.   

barton

« Reply #55355 on: October 31, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »

Dysfunctional?
Or free speech?

I don't think this conversation should be swept under the carpet merely because it bothers you to read the many posts that clearly show how disgusting Larry's comments were.

LoL.   This "conversation" was very far from swept under a carpet.   And thanks for proving my point with your umpteenth stab at Larry.   Gosh,  I didn't quite grasp your position, so glad you stated it a dozen times!   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55356 on: October 31, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/523510-45-percent-say-us-coronavirus-measures-are-not-strict-enough-poll

It's 'only' a plurality, but more folks thing the national measures against the virus are insufficiently strict than approve of them. "38 percent of those surveyed called the restrictions “reasonable." Eighteen percent said the restrictions were “too strict.”

"Additionally, 80 percent of respondents said they supported a national mask mandate, while 20 percent said they opposed such a measure."

Bizarrely, 23% of people believe the number of cases is slowing down.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55357 on: October 31, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/523426-positive-trump-polls-spark-polling-circle-debate

This is a very good, if still somewhat surface, discussion of the polling that shows Trump ahead or substantially closer than the majority do, like Trafalgar and Susquehanna, as well as an alternate approach that is less reported on by USC that asks people who they think their social circle and state are voting for (producing two results far closer than their "own intention" poll does).

I pretty much disregard all the Trafalgar results as soon as I see them, but I found reading the thoughts of the folks behind it informative, as well as the critiques of that approach from others. (I also rejected the poll that showed Biden with a 17 point lead in Wisconsin.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #55358 on: October 31, 2020, 11:35:08 AM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/31/929628299/with-deluge-of-mail-ballots-heres-when-to-expect-election-results-in-6-key-state

Clarifies where we will simply have to wait.   Keep the cork in the champagne until Friday,  possibly.   Unless a couple key states have generous margins. 

I'm with Nate Silver -- deeply skeptical of the concept of Trumpers who are too shy to answer the phone or talk to a pollster if they do. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55359 on: October 31, 2020, 12:02:11 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/31/929628299/with-deluge-of-mail-ballots-heres-when-to-expect-election-results-in-6-key-state

Clarifies where we will simply have to wait.   Keep the cork in the champagne until Friday,  possibly.   Unless a couple key states have generous margins. 

I'm with Nate Silver -- deeply skeptical of the concept of Trumpers who are too shy to answer the phone or talk to a pollster if they do.

I'm pretty skeptical, too.

But I also am not sure we will be seeing conclusive results even as soon as Friday, for all that I would love to. That's why last April I scheduled my post-election discussion and analysis course for Friday the 13th. I figured to give enough time for even most of the legal wrangling to finish. But I would love for it to be done on the 5th or 6th, I really would.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55360 on: October 31, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/30/opinions/donald-trump-deserves-second-term-jennings/index.html

CNN ran this op-ed piece on why Trump deserves a 2nd term.

It's by a former GWB/Mitch McConnell advisor, so it is not exactly shocking that he would come down on this side of things.

It has more than a couple weaknesses in its praise of Trump. There is no acknowledgment that the economy was tilting downhill before things got shut down. There is no mention of China at all, let alone the complete and utter failure of Trump's trade war with them. Kim Jong Un and North Korea make no appearances in this piece. The only mention of Iran is a passing reference to the assassination of Soleimani (and no mention of the killing of others at the same time who we had not marked for death, but who were guilty by association). The closest it gets to mentioning climate or environment is "regulations," discussing Obama overreach without mention of Trumpian overreach. Minorities, Blacks, deaths, or police? Nary a mention.

But perhaps most telling is that this is the only thing it has to say about the past 9 months' experience with COVID-19/coronavirus:
And for all of the President's missteps, including his rhetorical failures in dealing with coronavirus, this vote is about the next four years.

There is no case to be made for reelecting Donald Trump and Scott Jennings just drives that home.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #55361 on: October 31, 2020, 12:17:34 PM »

Shaken, not stirred.

I laughed

As a teenager in the 60s, Connery as Bond, James Bond, was the epitome of cool.

The beautiful women, cars, the quick one-liners, suave, always in control

It was a fantasy but it was fun.

RIP Sean Connery

'Pussy Galore' died earlier this year.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55363 on: October 31, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »

https://whyy.org/articles/some-pa-counties-to-delay-counting-mail-ballots/

At least 7 counties in PA plan to delay even the beginning of counting their mail-in ballots until Wednesday.

6 of the 7 are majority GOP.

barton

« Reply #55364 on: October 31, 2020, 12:49:23 PM »

'Pussy Galore' died earlier this year.

"I must be dreaming. "

She was the judo master partner of Patrick McNee before Diana Rigg.   The Galore role for Blackman was how Rigg got the gig.  I recall seeing a few of the early Avengers eps on a UHF channel as a kid and being miffed - "where's Miss Peel? "

Re the vote count -- I think the outcome will be clear by Friday,  even if there are some counties still catching up.   Or litigations.  But I have no real reasons or insights.   I anticipate,  though mostly an abstainer these days,  murdering a few beers next week.
Pages: 1 ... 3689 3690 [3691] 3692 3693 ... 4288