Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3731 3732 [3733] 3734 3735 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1874798 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #55980 on: November 05, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »

Compulsory voting?
Forcing people to vote.
Some people don't take too kindly to that.
They attend the voting station, have their names crossed off the electoral roll, receive the ballot papers...then proceed to make the ballot papers invalid by not following the instructions or writing obscene and comical messages on the forms and putting them in the ballot boxes.

Then there are the ones who have no idea about anything...the "donkey vote"...put 123456 down the paper, so the candidate at the top benefits.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55981 on: November 05, 2020, 07:42:42 PM »

"If you count the legal votes, I easily win" - Trump

"If you believe me, I win everything all the time."

Hint: Don't believe him.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: You getting enough sleep these days?
« Reply #55983 on: November 05, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »

Hell, I'd have a $100 penalty on income tax if you didn't vote (or could be an additional $1000 of income is non-taxable if you did vote).

We do in bambuland, the fine for not voting was $50 last election I believe, think you get it in the mail like a traffic fine.
Don't pay the fine, they cancel your driver licence!
Hardly democracy and free choice.
More like "Nazi Germany".

I am so sorry to hear about the imprisonment and subsequent gassing of your friends and/or relatives for having failed to vote, Bambi.

How many did you lose in the pro-voting massacres?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #55984 on: November 05, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »

Canceling someone's driver's license over a $50 fine is draconian.
and likely counterproductive -- a hindrance to gainful employment and having an extra $50.

I wouldn't go that far.  Don't need to suck people into the maw of bureaucracy just to get them to vote.  And you should have the right to vote for whoever you want or to vote stupidly or protest vote.

Really I prefer making it as easy and convenient as possible for everyone to vote.
But making it mandatory has some appeal.
The Gov't doesn't require you to do much except pay taxes and follow a million laws.  People should be engaged in choosing their gov't.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55985 on: November 05, 2020, 07:55:37 PM »

Hell, I'd have a $100 penalty on income tax if you didn't vote (or could be an additional $1000 of income is non-taxable if you did vote).

We do in bambuland, the fine for not voting was $50 last election I believe, think you get it in the mail like a traffic fine.

I am so sorry to hear about the imprisonment and subsequent gassing of your friends and/or relatives for having failed to vote, Bambi.

Disgusting.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55986 on: November 05, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »

and likely counterproductive -- a hindrance to gainful employment and having an extra $50.

I wouldn't go that far.  Don't need to suck people into the maw of bureaucracy just to get them to vote.  And you should have the right to vote for whoever you want or to vote stupidly or protest vote.

Really I prefer making it as easy and convenient as possible for everyone to vote.
The Gov't doesn't require you to do much except pay taxes and follow a million laws.  People should be engaged in choosing their gov't.

You pay a state service fee to help you exercise your right to not vote. The fifty bucks proves your serious, otherwise you may be ducking about. If your going to be fucking about, fine but best you not be doing it behind the wheel of your large automobile.

Seems a very sensible system to me.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55987 on: November 05, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »

Should the GOP reach 51 Senators, here’s the defection play to avoid gridlock,

Romney, Merkowski, Paul, Sasse, Collins are my for example group.

One, probably Romney, gets to be Majority leader for two years. Defectors get up to 1/2 -1 committee chairs starting at less important and moving in, barring some like, judiciary, ways and means, oversight, health & safety, otherwise it can be negotiated as necessary.

This puts the diehard trumpies in a minority, and makes the negotiations between the fate of our country between Joe, Nancy, and Mitt rather than Joe, Nancy, and Mitch. The first option seems far more productive and Civil.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #55988 on: November 05, 2020, 08:45:39 PM »

You'd hope dead people and pets haven't "voted".
Are all the ballot papers valid?
Are all the ballot papers posted in legal?   proper ballot papers issued by the govt electoral office?
Is anyone checking?
Checking the ballot papers to the electoral roll, or is anything just being put on the "Biden" pile?

This post is promoting paranoia and doubt.

Good job Josh!
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #55989 on: November 05, 2020, 08:47:20 PM »

Disgusting.

Godwin's law. 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #55990 on: November 05, 2020, 08:49:30 PM »

Votes for Trump are legal
Votes for Biden are illegal.

Pretty simple.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:54:15 PM by Kam »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #55991 on: November 05, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »

Votes for Trump are legal
Voted for Biden are illegal.

Pretty simple.
Yep. Trump's got a shutout going
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas
« Reply #55992 on: November 05, 2020, 08:53:29 PM »

What's taking NEVADA sooooo long?

barton

« Reply #55993 on: November 05, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »

I would resist making "should" into "must. "  Agree on making it easy,  but I would prefer that someone who is really uninformed can choose to abstain from voting as guesswork.   Also,  not voting can be a legitimate form of free speech,  even if I may not personally like the "they all suck! " message.   Better to find positive ways to engage young people in the political process and form lifetime habits.   

barton

« Reply #55994 on: November 05, 2020, 08:57:36 PM »

You'd hope dead people and pets haven't "voted".
Are all the ballot papers valid?
Are all the ballot papers posted in legal?   proper ballot papers issued by the govt electoral office?
Is anyone checking?
Checking the ballot papers to the electoral roll, or is anything just being put on the "Biden" pile?

This post is promoting paranoia and doubt.

Good job Josh!

Indeed.   I think Australia has the same radio problem we do.

Pages: 1 ... 3731 3732 [3733] 3734 3735 ... 4288