Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3736 3737 [3738] 3739 3740 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1874896 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56055 on: November 06, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »

I wish the DEMS had a basic national campaign strategy.
A simple 3 point list of what they would do with a DEM Senate.

1) Spell out Biden's plan for increased Medicare/insurance coverage.
With a deadly virus raging and lots of folks unemployed or worried about same, a perfect time to push reassuring health care/insurance expansion.

2) A minimum corporate tax of 15% on profits.  No more zeroing out tax liability.  Talk about which companies make how many billion dollars of profits and pay nothing in federal tax.  How isn't this popular and motivational?

3) Make Election Day a holiday.  And encourage other reforms to make it easier to register and vote.  More mail voting and looking towards internet voting, same day registration, etc.  Sure it's mostly a state initiative, but the Feds can provide a blueprint, talk up the issue and importantly provide funding for such reforms.

Make it simple:
1) Biden's expanded health insurance plan in clear simple terms
2) 15% minimum corporate profit tax, to stop corporate tax avoidance/evasion
3) Election Day holiday and voting reform

Have every DEM Senate candidate sign on to it, and talk it up along with whatever local issues.  Biden and ,-la talk it up.
At least then you have an easy to understand popular agenda.
Would have made a nice contrast to Trump who oddly had nothing to say about what he'd do 2nd term.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #56056 on: November 06, 2020, 10:20:12 AM »

With a deadly virus raging and lots of folks unemployed or worried about same, a perfect time to push reassuring health care/insurance expansion.

2) A minimum corporate tax of 15% on profits.  No more zeroing out tax liability.  Talk about which companies make how many billion dollars of profits and pay nothing in federal tax.  How isn't this popular and motivational?

3) Make Election Day a holiday.  And encourage other reforms to make it easier to register and vote.  More mail voting and looking towards internet voting, same day registration, etc.  Sure it's mostly a state initiative, but the Feds can provide a blueprint, talk up the issue and importantly provide funding for such reforms.

Make it simple:

Have every DEM Senate candidate sign on to it, and talk it up along with whatever local issues.  Biden and ,-la talk it up.
Would have made a nice contrast to Trump who oddly had nothing to say about what he'd do 2nd term.

Trump provided chaos, death, economic uncertainty and 70 million people said, “Yeah, give me more of that.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56057 on: November 06, 2020, 10:24:44 AM »

Donald, Jr., summarized the problem all the 2024 wannabes are going to have.

He meant it from a GOP perspective, regarding who will inherit from Trump, but I think he made the case for whomever the opponent is going to be, as well.

"Why were you silent in 2020?"

"The total lack of action from virtually all of the '2024 GOP hopefuls' is pretty amazing," tweeted Donald Trump Jr., the President's eldest son, on Thursday. "They have a perfect platform to show that they're willing & able to fight but they will cower to the media mob instead.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #56058 on: November 06, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »

Trump provided chaos, death, economic uncertainty and 70 million people said, “Yeah, give me more of that.”

I find it pretty unbelievable folks still voted for this conman/fraud.
Trump just went through a hugely embarrassing and terrible year.
Where nearly everything he did and said was either awful or stupid or both.
And still he nearly won.  Americans really need to become better educated (or continue the downward slide).

Though it's looking like Biden will win all the states I was expecting/hoping.  With the exception of Florida (a disappointment that it wasn't terribly close), offset by a slim GA victory.  So the failure to win the Senate (still possible to get to 50-50) will be the biggest disappointment.  And that's why I think it would have been useful to say what the DEMS would do with a DEM Senate & Presidency.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56059 on: November 06, 2020, 10:54:17 AM »

I don't think Steve Kornacki has slept or changed his clothes in four days.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

The word of the lord.

Thanks be to God.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #56060 on: November 06, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »

Donald, Jr., summarized the problem all the 2024 wannabes are going to have.

He meant it from a GOP perspective, regarding who will inherit from Trump, but I think he made the case for whomever the opponent is going to be, as well.

"Why were you silent in 2020?"

"The total lack of action from virtually all of the '2024 GOP hopefuls' is pretty amazing," tweeted Donald Trump Jr., the President's eldest son, on Thursday. "They have a perfect platform to show that they're willing & able to fight but they will cower to the media mob instead.
What a worthless asshole Junior is. Apple in strikingly near proximity to tree.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

The word of the lord.

Thanks be to God.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56061 on: November 06, 2020, 10:59:36 AM »

Canceling someone's driver's license over a $50 fine is draconian.
and likely counterproductive -- a hindrance to gainful employment and having an extra $50.

I wouldn't go that far.  Don't need to suck people into the maw of bureaucracy just to get them to vote.  And you should have the right to vote for whoever you want or to vote stupidly or protest vote.

Really I prefer making it as easy and convenient as possible for everyone to vote.
But making it mandatory has some appeal.
The Gov't doesn't require you to do much except pay taxes and follow a million laws.  People should be engaged in choosing their gov't.

I would resist making "should" into "must. "  Agree on making it easy,  but I would prefer that someone who is really uninformed can choose to abstain from voting as guesswork.   Also,  not voting can be a legitimate form of free speech,  even if I may not personally like the "they all suck! " message.   Better to find positive ways to engage young people in the political process and form lifetime habits.
Nowhere in the world is it easier to vote than in the USA.
This election proved that.
Not to mention also this election proved the wisdom of the Electoral College.

Here's is proof that your first statement is flat out wrong.

Instead of lining up outside in the Baltic cold, more and more Estonians have been spending election day in a sauna rather than at the polls, as they can just vote online and go on with their day.

To vote in Estonia, you don’t need a mask or social distancing: only your digital ID and a computer.

I-voting was established in the small European country in 2005, and nearly half of the Estonian voters used this option to vote during the last European Parliament elections in 2019. It’s part of a broader digital society, that includes filing taxes, health care, and other government services.

Since the coronavirus outbreak, the Estonian system is not only convenient in terms of time, but also in terms of public health: it allows people to exercise their democratic right without putting one’s health at risk....Overall, Estonia’s digital government was instrumental in helping the country fight the coronavirus pandemic, by allowing citizens to do more online, and by having citizens already used to use digital services.

But as the Estonian President, Kersti Kaljulaid, said a few years ago, the system cannot be simply copied and pasted in other countries: “Every state has a different culture, she said, “this culture prevails also when you create your digital state. You need to find your own solutions which will convince your own people to use digital [methods].”

Marten Kaevats, Estonia’s 34-year-old National Digital Advisor, says he has spent no more than 15 minutes filing taxes and voting in his entire life. Altogether. An architect by training, he sees his job in the Estonian government more as a philosophical one, not technological as such. These days, he’s looking at how the country could legislate self-driving cars. Before travel restrictions were pretty much global, he used to spend half of his time traveling the world and advising international organizations such as the World Health Organization, the UN, and the World Economic Forum on all-things digitals. One thing that surprises him in the U.S. is how common and accepted red tapes are.

“I can’t believe that in places like in the Silicon Valley, creating cutting-edge technology, you still have to stand in line at the DMV [Department of Motor Vehicles] to get your driving license,” Kaevats says.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephaniefillion/2020/08/24/if-estonia-figured-out-online-voting-15-years-ago-why-cant-the-us/?sh=4bc5df8115ab

As to your second point, you'll need to provide evidence to support that notion.

We'll wait.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #56062 on: November 06, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntpywGl5ak

Fans of Veep report a certain... topicality in this scene.   

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56063 on: November 06, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »

If I were a reporter in America, they'd be the questions I'd be asking of the Federal Electoral Office.
If everything is sweet, they should be able to guarantee the integrity of the election and postal votes, and explain why.

There is no Federal Electoral Office. So, if you were a reporter in America, no one would hire you.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56065 on: November 06, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56066 on: November 06, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »

Make it simple:

Looks like he's no Mayor Barry to many of us.

barton

« Reply #56067 on: November 06, 2020, 11:14:28 AM »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #56068 on: November 06, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »

If I were a reporter in America, they'd be the questions I'd be asking of the Federal Electoral Office.
If everything is sweet, they should be able to guarantee the integrity of the election and postal votes, and explain why.

There is no Federal Electoral Office. So, if you were a reporter in America, no one would hire you.
Someone should also explain to that platypus fucker that literally every one of the state and local election officials in charge of the voting have guaranteed the integrity of the election and postal votes and explained why. The only people who have doubted the election's integrity are Trump and his most mindless followers. Which explains why that stupid half wombat thinks it is an issue.

The word of the lord.

Thanks be to God.

barton

« Reply #56069 on: November 06, 2020, 11:29:02 AM »

Several someones replied to the dingo diddler on the matter....

Rather than respond here to any fictional fraud claims or conspiracy theories launched by Trump yesterday,  I will refer anyone to this thorough factcheck by Glenn Kessler....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/11/05/trumps-white-house-statement-falsehood-upon-falsehood/

Not going to cut/paste because,  AFAIK, the WaPo is still allowing free access to election coverage.   

Pages: 1 ... 3736 3737 [3738] 3739 3740 ... 4288