Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3758 3759 [3760] 3761 3762 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1874952 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56385 on: November 08, 2020, 11:16:23 PM »

Nice piece tonight by 60 Minutes re::  Operation Warp Speed.  Just a phenomenal undertaking by Trump's administration.

Of course Joe may have the option to blow it all up if he wishes.  I doubt he is that stupid.

It will be so much better once relieved from it’s trump era duplicity and graft.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #56386 on: November 08, 2020, 11:21:39 PM »

They came in and fucked up shit and they’re going out the same way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-gsa-letter-biden-transition/2020/11/08/07093acc-21e9-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

What’s the jist of this? I think it’d be worth knowing and not all of us will hunt it down.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56387 on: November 08, 2020, 11:57:15 PM »

The PA legislature says their electors will go for the national popular vote winner.

They hide their guilt quite well

Still hoping for the over, huh?

I don't need to hope for anything.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #56388 on: November 09, 2020, 12:15:53 AM »

Too much climate change contribution in America?
No worries, double the price of petrol at the gas station. It's dirt cheap. Mine in bambuland is like buying bars of gold and putting them in the tank.
No unnecessary trips for me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56389 on: November 09, 2020, 12:31:18 AM »

The PA legislature says their electors will go for the national popular vote winner.

They hide their guilt quite well

You fail to hide your trolling at all.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56390 on: November 09, 2020, 12:40:15 AM »

They came in and fucked up shit and they’re going out the same way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-gsa-letter-biden-transition/2020/11/08/07093acc-21e9-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

What’s the jist of this? I think it’d be worth knowing and not all of us will hunt it down.

The head of the GSA is not letting the transition start. Some people think that's appropriate of her and they are confident that as soon as the status of Biden is clear she will release the funds and space to the transition team. Some don't think this delay is appropriate and have no confidence in her moving any time soon.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #56391 on: November 09, 2020, 12:41:49 AM »

Aussie couple living in New Jersey,  he in the bambuland military, as a liaison officer in America.
"Americans are very patriotic" they say on their YouTube video.
"Not that Australians are not patriotic,  just that Americans are more so."
No surprise to me. Massive immigration has seen immigrant ethic enclaves formed everywhere in bambuland, most of the people in them seemingly calling themselves the race/nationality of the place from whence they came. The original immigrants, and their children seeminly waving the flags of their homelands.
One could be forgiven for thinking Australia in nothing more than a large transit lounge.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 12:44:27 AM by bambu. »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #56392 on: November 09, 2020, 01:12:46 AM »

The planet is nothing more than a vast transit lounge. Political borders are all contrived, mutable, and transitory.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #56393 on: November 09, 2020, 01:14:22 AM »

70 million Americans voted for Trump.
"The second-highest electoral bloc in the history of the US put their cross next to the name of the man who over the past four years has been turned by the political clerisy into the embodiment of evil."

"What it speaks to is the existence of vast numbers of people who are outside of the purview of the cultural elites.
People who have developed some kind of immunity to the cultural supremacy of the "woke" worldview so intensely
mainstreamed by the political and media sets in recent years."

#####

Well there you go.
Sounds about correct to me.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #56394 on: November 09, 2020, 01:21:28 AM »

They lost!
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #56395 on: November 09, 2020, 02:05:45 AM »

Rather a turnoff for me, and I stopped visiting the site 2 or 3 years ago, whereas in prior years I used to use it regularly as a source for articles I might otherwise miss.  Now most of the links are very partisan and not informative, but more in line with propaganda.

Seems odd you haven’t visited in years but are so knowledgeable about what is on the site.
A quick perusal of its lineup today on the main page shows 13 articles from liberal Publications and 12 from conservative sites  And the reader controls which article to click on.

I pop in there now and then and find little or even occasionally nothing to read, whereas 5+ years ago it was a trove of good and interesting articles.
The problem is the selection.
RCP pits two opposing highly partisan articles against each other.
It's like the old Face Off cable TV show where a Lefty and Righty shout at each other in disagreement.

Looking at the Top 8 articles right now, the 4 Right-wing articles are from Epoch Times, NY Post, Fox News, National Review.  Yikes.
The corresponding Left articles are Politico, New Yorker, Guardian, Atlantic.
I'd claim that the Right articles are generally more hard core partisan and propagandistic than those on the Left.
Which is generally true of media distribution in the US, with the mainstream media center left.

Media 'Calling' Elections in a Democracy Is Fascism Roger L. Simon, Epoch Times
just isn't appealing to me.  Just an echo of the Trumpist line that the media doesn't decide the election the people do, ignoring the obvious fact that after the people decide the election, the media relays that information. 

I still think one of the awful aspects of Trump's tenure was the vilification of the media.  A president saying "the media is the enemy of the people" is anti-American and dangerous.    And unfortunately that harm isn't going to leave when Trump is dragged out of the WH.  Look at the Constitution, the media is a protected asset of American democracy.  Trump treated the right wing media and especially Fox News as a campaign asset, a propaganda machine that should back and support
his candidacy.

Why Dems Are Furious Over Loss of Anti-Trump Politics Brendan O'Neill, NY Post
Yeah, uh-huh
And those were just the first two Right articles.  It goes on and on.

I'm interested in reading information from a right and conservative perspective.
I'm not interested in reading propaganda pieces from either side that are opinion screeds, light on facts, heavy on partisanship, mere political arguments in bad faith.
 That's the sewer that RCP has willingly dived into, presumably to meet the Trump moment.

Of the first 20 RCP articles, I clicked just 2.
Gary Kasparov - How Trump’s ongoing tantrum against democracy hurts America because he's an interesting writer/thinker, interested in core democracy and will likely relate the results and problems of US democracy to Russia/Putin.
So a slightly different perspective.
&
Republican Backlash Against Fox News Explodes - John Nolte - Breitbart
Hopefully a decent GOP infighting analysis and not just a screed.  Fox News and Murdoch have played an outsized and deleterious role in American politics for decades now.  This weird dance where Murdoch flexes his muscles and shows Trump that Trump needed Fox more than Fox needed Trump has been interesting and I'd be interested in post mortems on that.

Digging deeper, I found an article that appears fairly neutral, a rarity on RCP:
Georgia’s twin January runoffs are set to determine control of Senate from the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

So with effort this wasn't too bad (I think).
But post-election should be a super-prime time for lots of good article  and opinions which is why I'm back at RCP this week.
Most of what is on offer is still dreck.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 02:46:39 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #56396 on: November 09, 2020, 02:13:07 AM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/11/8/1994153/-As-Trump-loses-HHS-finally-releases-documents-showing-some-dubious-vaccine-contracts

A reckoning awaits, bigly.

Haven't read the article yet, but I'm pretty sure that the vaccine quest and even PPE accumulation has been treated like it was DOD contracting during war time, akin to Bush's privatization of military functions in Iraq.  Lots of cronies and charlatans and donors cut in line and started feeding form the gov't trough.
Hopefully Biden can claw some of the money back, prosecute others for fraud and restore good government and accountability.

Amazing how the GOP hates fraud and gov't waste in programs directed to help people, but when it comes to the military and police and businesses, gov't waste is just a way of doing business and goes unnoted.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #56397 on: November 09, 2020, 03:02:12 AM »

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the truth may be slightly less poetic: the location, a red corner of a deeply blue city, may have been chosen because it has a large outdoor space away from the street and is near a highway exit. Even so, it’s clear that Trump at first thought it would be at the hotel.

The store will capitalize on its moment in the spotlight by reportedly selling its own “Lawn and Order” tees.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/11/four-seasons-total-landscaping-the-scene-after-rudy-giuliani-made-it-famous.html
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #56398 on: November 09, 2020, 04:48:29 AM »

That’s beautiful in the most Philadelphia way I can imagine.

RCP strikes a careful balance between the rabid right and the center right.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56399 on: November 09, 2020, 06:58:22 AM »

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/11/07/pa-electoral-college-popular-vote

LOL, you ingesting stupid pills tonight?
What, you afraid he raided your stash?
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

The word of the lord.

Thanks be to God.
Pages: 1 ... 3758 3759 [3760] 3761 3762 ... 4288