Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3760 3761 [3762] 3763 3764 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1877241 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56415 on: November 09, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56416 on: November 09, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »

Biden can start to unite the country by helping the Dems replace Pelosi and Schumer as faces of their party, and still keep them as allies. Tricky, tricky. He has to do that tactfully, telling them how it is the best thing for the country. But I think it would certainly help "reduce the temperature" in the room, so to speak, if he did so.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56417 on: November 09, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »

Provide it. And choose credible sources. We'll wait.

This is not disputed by officials.

In other news - water is wet.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56418 on: November 09, 2020, 11:45:20 AM »

So, you oppose unity?

You think that Biden was wrong when he said that "there are no blue states and no red states, there is only the United States"?

I pointed out the GOP's hypocrisy and you're asking me if I oppose unity?

I'll ignore the non-sequitur, Ham, and give you an answer to your question:

Whether Biden, Kennedy, or anybody else who has expressed such opinions, it is simply true that the job of the president is to seek to meet the needs of every American and to treat the states as states, rather than rewarding those who voted for him and punishing those who voted against him, in aggregate - and not merely because there are those who voted for him in every state, either!

However, given that the leader of the GOP in the Senate is the exact same man who vowed to do everything he could to block Obama from any successes and who lied his head off about the whys for blocking Obama's SCOTUS nominee in 2016, while finding compromise positions is going to be necessary for us to have things like a budget, expecting meaningful middle ground on important issues moving forward would be foolish. There is absolutely no reason to expect Mitch McConnell to have changed his stripes in the slightest.

It's not about states or even voters. It's about blatant obstructionism on the part of the congressional GOP members.

The climate crisis cannot wait for Mitch to decide to act, regardless of anything else. OTOH, the precedent set by President Trump of moving money because of emergencies will serve Biden in good stead, if (and only if) SCOTUS is consistent in their application of principles.

I expect that Biden is going to have a hard time getting appointments through for these next two years. OTOH, at least he is going to try! There will be a full allotment of FEC commissioners and therefore a quorum able to act, in all likelihood. The US Sentencing Commission will be back to 7 members. Etc. We will have fewer "acting" folks and fewer folks "appointed" illegally, I hope - if we don't, it will not be Joe Biden's fault.

I don't expect Biden to be flawless. I just don't expect this area to be among his flaws.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56419 on: November 09, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »

Kid's not providing no stinking evidence.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56421 on: November 09, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »

So, Like I said, "we'll wait".

You could be honest and admit you have nothing to back up your assertion, but that is not likely.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56422 on: November 09, 2020, 12:11:31 PM »

So, you oppose unity?

You think that Biden was wrong when he said that "there are no blue states and no red states, there is only the United States"?

Whether Biden, Kennedy, or anybody else who has expressed such opinions, it is simply true that the job of the president is to seek to meet the needs of every American and to treat the states as states, rather than rewarding those who voted for him and punishing those who voted against him, in aggregate - and not merely because there are those who voted for him in every state, either!

However, given that the leader of the GOP in the Senate is the exact same man who vowed to do everything he could to block Obama from any successes and who lied his head off about the whys for blocking Obama's SCOTUS nominee in 2016, while finding compromise positions is going to be necessary for us to have things like a budget, expecting meaningful middle ground on important issues moving forward would be foolish. There is absolutely no reason to expect Mitch McConnell to have changed his stripes in the slightest.

It's not about states or even voters. It's about blatant obstructionism on the part of the congressional GOP members.

The climate crisis cannot wait for Mitch to decide to act, regardless of anything else. OTOH, the precedent set by President Trump of moving money because of emergencies will serve Biden in good stead, if (and only if) SCOTUS is consistent in their application of principles.

I expect that Biden is going to have a hard time getting appointments through for these next two years. OTOH, at least he is going to try! There will be a full allotment of FEC commissioners and therefore a quorum able to act, in all likelihood. The US Sentencing Commission will be back to 7 members. Etc. We will have fewer "acting" folks and fewer folks "appointed" illegally, I hope - if we don't, it will not be Joe Biden's fault.

I don't expect Biden to be flawless. I just don't expect this area to be among his flaws.

I guess you don't read what you post. What you posted for 2020 isn't accurate. And I think you may underestimate the relationship between McConnell and Biden. Mitch was the only GOP congressman to attend Beau's funeral. JOe and he have worked out deals before. You seem to be entrenched in the very thing you accuse of others---severe partisanship.

Have at it. But at least be honest.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56423 on: November 09, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »

NY Gov has been out of the news too long, seeks more of spotlight

Fox News (referring to Andrew Cuomo and his negative comments on Trump in charge of distributing):  "Its hard to believe that anyone could think it bad news to get these wonderful results from a  late-stage trial of a vaccine.."

Alex Azar:  "It's just absolutely unconscionable that someone would want to delay a vaccine to the American people that is safe and effective just for political partisan reasons - but the really interesting thing is that Operation Warp Speed is working very closely with Governor Cuomo's health commissioner and his team - because guess who is actually responsible for distributing within any state - the GOVERNOR is - and his team is doing a really good job working WITH us - and they can set up a distribution system and prioritization system within their state'
- You know - this is all one size fits all approach ...that only the government can do things - that is NOT what was Operation Warp Speed - which was public/private partnership.  If we'd relied just on government to do things, nothing would be getting delivered right now..."

FOX:  "Are you getting any word from Governor Cuomo or other states that they are going to try to stop distribution under this presidency?'

Azar:  "No.  The other governors we are working with are excited - and they want to be in charge of the distribution - they are working in partnership with us - and we have a great plan that leverages the finest distribution system in the world to make sure the vaccine gets where it needs to go, safely and effectively."

FOX:  "Does that include Cuomo?"

Azar:  "Well, it includes his staff.  He ought to talk to them and maybe learn what their plans are."

OUCH.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56424 on: November 09, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/election-2020-what-are-the-trump-legal-claims-11604876612

President Trump and his allies have pledged to intensify legal efforts this week to contest the presidential election. Many of the lawsuits they have filed so far are limited in scope, making them unlikely to produce large vote swings even if successful.

Facing vote deficits in key states, Mr. Trump would need sweeping legal victories in all of them for any chance at closing the electoral gap with President-elect Joe Biden, who was declared the election’s winner by the Associated Press on Saturday. The campaign over the weekend filed an additional lawsuit in Arizona and promised more elsewhere in the coming days. Judges in Georgia, Michigan and Nevada have already rejected its cases.

Pack up your briefcases and go home.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56425 on: November 09, 2020, 12:30:45 PM »

So, you oppose unity?

I guess you don't read what you post. What you posted for 2020 isn't accurate. And I think you may underestimate the relationship between McConnell and Biden. Mitch was the only GOP congressman to attend Beau's funeral. JOe and he have worked out deals before. You seem to be entrenched in the very thing you accuse of others---severe partisanship.

Have at it. But at least be honest.

You seem to be suffering from REDSTATEWARD disease, Ham.

What I posted represented the voices of the GOP, not the Dems. And it may not represent what you have heard from the GOP in 2020, since there are still plenty of UP YOURS folks out there, but it is what I have been hearing.

The partisanship exists, whether I speak to it or not.

And I would love to be wrong about Mitch McConnell!

Unlike many folks here, I would admit it if I were shown to be wrong by his actions.

But his failure to call Biden by now does not seem indicative of change. Nor does his coronavirus "relief" package that he's put forward.

Please do let me know when the kinder, gentler Majority Leader shows up.

Or have the good graces to acknowledge that you were wrong, should McConnell continue with his reign of stumbling blockage.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56426 on: November 09, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »

Pack up your briefcases and go home to GEORGIA.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56428 on: November 09, 2020, 12:41:06 PM »

And I would love to be wrong about Mitch McConnell!

If you are saying the Senate will block every Biden appointment, then YES, you will be "loving being wrong".  (cue Josh prancing around in a meadow singing "I'm wrong, I'm wrong')

heh

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56429 on: November 09, 2020, 12:42:37 PM »

If you want NO APPOINTMENT to be challenged, I quote the great JOE BENINGO -

"Bro, come on, bro"
Pages: 1 ... 3760 3761 [3762] 3763 3764 ... 4288