Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3785 3786 [3787] 3788 3789 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607281 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56790 on: November 12, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »

Trump is now working without a number of his top advisers. Chief of staff Mark Meadows is out with the coronavirus, as is David Bossie, an outside adviser helming the campaign's legal effort. Brian Jack, the White House political director, also has the virus, along with a number of other staffers in political affairs and assistants to several top administration officials, according to a White House official.

The White House now is far more vacant than it has been in weeks, with many aides concerned about catching coronavirus - or self-quarantining after having been exposed to it.

Levandowski joined the COVID-19 parade today.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #56791 on: November 12, 2020, 01:40:03 PM »

Go woke, go broke.

barton

« Reply #56792 on: November 12, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »

Bars are a huge piece of the puzzle.  The Sturgis superspread was essentially about a handful of bars.  Maximum crowding meets lowest inhibitions.  Bikers who hung back and just rode around the hills and ate on a patio of a backwoods lodge (I met a few who were taking this tack) didn't get sick or spread covid.

As Bo and Oil pointed out, the mask data can be falsely interpreted when you cherrypick your numbers.  ND and SD lead the nation not just because of Sturgis.  They also lead because it's already cold here, and a lot of rural people tend to pack into smalltown bars, social events, church services.  It's cold, so yard parties turn into house parties.  Combine that with the laissez-faire approach to masking, and it's absolutely no surprise that our case spikes are the biggest. 

UNO - thanks for the WSJ article.  Good stuff.  If Biden can make the stakes too high that GOP might be branded as a party of total obstruction, Mitch could come round. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56793 on: November 12, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »

Trump is now working without a number of his top advisers. Chief of staff Mark Meadows is out with the coronavirus, as is David Bossie, an outside adviser helming the campaign's legal effort. Brian Jack, the White House political director, also has the virus, along with a number of other staffers in political affairs and assistants to several top administration officials, according to a White House official.

The White House now is far more vacant than it has been in weeks, with many aides concerned about catching coronavirus - or self-quarantining after having been exposed to it.

Levandowski joined the COVID-19 parade today.

That  "Watch Party" became "Watch Who Gets Covid-19, NOW!"
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56794 on: November 12, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »

Ham, today is my birthday and I will post as much serious or humorous crap as I want to. It is not as if I have not posted plenty of extensive stuff.

I think the debate over language is more nuanced than "You must pay the rent!" "I can't pay the rent!" "Then you must marry me."

(Translated: "The progressives are why we lost house seats!" "The progressives are why we won the presidency!" "Then you are giving up on Congress forever!")

But I don't know what the answer is, given the need to appeal to emotions rather than facts in the debate. I trust none of the analyses of the motivations for voting decisions, in good part because the folks being asked their motivations mis-report them, not out of intentional deceit, but out of self-deceit.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56795 on: November 12, 2020, 01:52:34 PM »

A dictatorship is usually more efficient but the cost is great. But with the Donald you got an incompetent, unscientific dictator. The worst of two worlds.

Exactly.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #56796 on: November 12, 2020, 02:29:33 PM »

Un­for­tu­nately, the IHME mod­el­ers’ findings con­tained an er­ror that even min­imal scru­tiny should have caught. The projected num­ber of lives saved, and the im­plied case for a mask mandate, are based on a faulty sta­tis­tic. Us­ing a months-old sur­vey, IHME mod­el­ers assumed er­ro­neously that the U.S. mask-adop­tion rate stood at only 49% as of late Sep­tember, and therefore had plenty of room to in­crease to “uni­ver­sal adop­tion,” de­fined as 95%, or to a more plau­si­ble 85%.

Ac­cord­ing to more re­cent sur­vey find­ings, how­ever, Amer­i­ca’s mask-adop­tion rate has hov­ered around 80% since the sum­mer.

How is it then when we saw Trump rallys and gatherings for the past few months almost no one wore masks?

Don't beleive your lieing eyes-right?

How fucking stupid are these people?

I could get to 80% of the US wearing mask if I assumed 90% of Dems and Indies wore masks (and assumed they accounted for about 66% of the population) and if the remaining 34% were Repub mask-a-raiders the plug figure would be about be about 60% wearing mask.

Doesn't seem to jibe with reality and observations of the behavior of the fucking deplorables who turned wearing masks into a partisan death wish.

dumb fucks

I have the feeling those dumb fuck anti-maskers lied to the poll-takers

Big fucking surprise

And happy birthday Josh

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:31:31 PM by bankshot1 »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #56797 on: November 12, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »

I don't believe that 80% of Americans are wearing masks.  Unless you count all the ones who have them down below the nose or wearing them as chin straps.  And even then I don't think the number is as high as 70%.   I think the true number is around 50%.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #56798 on: November 12, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »

Taking into account people i've observed being active. ... playing baskketball / volleyball / running / biking /working out those numbers are probably 25%.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56799 on: November 12, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »

Ham, today is my birthday and I will post as much serious or humorous crap as I want to. It is not as if I have not posted plenty of extensive stuff.

I think the debate over language is more nuanced than "You must pay the rent!" "I can't pay the rent!" "Then you must marry me."

(Translated: "The progressives are why we lost house seats!" "The progressives are why we won the presidency!" "Then you are giving up on Congress forever!")

But I don't know what the answer is, given the need to appeal to emotions rather than facts in the debate. I trust none of the analyses of the motivations for voting decisions, in good part because the folks being asked their motivations mis-report them, not out of intentional deceit, but out of self-deceit.

If you thought that was humorous...

Happy birthday. Medicare start today?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #56800 on: November 12, 2020, 03:10:42 PM »

So, who should get the vaccine first in the USA, once those involved in the health care world do, of course?

Perhaps states that have the highest density of population should rank above those who are far less densely populated?

So, NJ #1, and WY or AK last?  then within those states, their most densely populated counties?

What other priorities should be considered? Would you rank older people over working people over children? People of color first, since their populations have been doing worse?

Thoughts?

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #56801 on: November 12, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »

This is not brain surgery, masks stop infectious droplets from being spread and stop them from being inhaled.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #56802 on: November 12, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »

covid's a fucking hoax and a political ploy

so there's minimal need for vaccine in red states

plus as we all know vaccines are hoaxes too.

so once we eliminate the conspiracy nuts and the paranoid (probably about 34% of the population) there should be enough to go around.

-healthcare workers
-first responders
-most vulnerable to the disease

youngest and healthiest are probably at the end of the line

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56803 on: November 12, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »

If you thought that was humorous...

Happy birthday. Medicare start today?

No Medicare yet.

And since the primary target for my humor is me, I am certain that it is funny.

But I prefer the short story to the original Twilight Zone episode and the original to the remake.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56804 on: November 12, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »

Places with the fastest rate of increase, would be my instant take on it, with densest places among those getting priority.

But tbh, I would say to the epidemiologists, "where would our initial efforts have the greatest utility?!" Then I would heed them.
Pages: 1 ... 3785 3786 [3787] 3788 3789 ... 4288