Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3799 3800 [3801] 3802 3803 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1872585 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #57000 on: November 13, 2020, 11:46:55 PM »

Red's just up in arms that egg-head ivy educated Chinks and Jews will unduly influence voters in GA.

Red misses the good old days when Jews were slaughtered in the south helping to register voters and get out the vote.

Fuck Red-he's just a fucking ignorant racist fascist troll

When Reagan kicked off his campaign at the Neshoba County Fair in Philadelphia, Mississippi it was like sending up a smoke signal to the racists.

When Trump tried to restart his campaign in Tulsa on Juneteenth it was like a bat signal.

I hope every red blooded American patriot stays their ass at home and not come to the District..
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57001 on: November 13, 2020, 11:47:58 PM »

This motherfucker...

Oh HELL No!
This is some bullshit.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/charles-koch-says-his-partisanship-was-a-mistake-11605286893

Given that he wants to solve partisanship by united people behind a libertarian effort...

it's safe to say that it is some bullshit, for sure.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57002 on: November 13, 2020, 11:48:37 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/video/president-trump-signals-possibility-of-losing-the-election/5DBD494B-4763-434D-848F-7CAC25211DA3.html?mod=trending_now_video_4

Trump seems to admit that his might not be the administration in place in the fairly near future. Not conceding, just admitting.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #57003 on: November 13, 2020, 11:58:58 PM »

https://www.wsj.com/video/president-trump-signals-possibility-of-losing-the-election/5DBD494B-4763-434D-848F-7CAC25211DA3.html?mod=trending_now_video_4

Trump seems to admit that his might not be the administration in place in the fairly near future. Not conceding, just admitting.

He’s already injected the big lie into the environment.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #57004 on: November 14, 2020, 12:34:05 AM »

Vis-a-vis Mr Yang's unoriginal idea of moving en masse to Georgia and the article from last month, I think, about the bears of Grafton, NH...

I have espoused for years the notion of a couple hundred thousand liberals moving to Montana or some such place and changing the state.

It's based on the Free State Project New Hampshire:
https://www.fsp.org/

I think it was a couple years ago that I commented on the paucity of Libertarian Party and Green Party members occupying even state legislature seats anywhere in the country, but that FSP members had landed more seats in the last decade (then) alone than the Libertarians and Greens combined in their entire histories.

It is a far more powerful model.

With the involvement of Misters Bloomberg, Gates, and Soros, though, I am pretty sure I am dreaming small.

How hard would it be for each of them to basically acquire sufficient land in each of several "red" states and plop down a university with a high tech firm or two affiliated for the purpose of luring workers to a new place, ripe for shaping?!

A city of 100-150,000 would spring up around them, if they did it right, allowing, among other things, laboratory schools for educational experimentation (which Bill should eat up) and so much more! Want to try alternative governance in a controlled experiment?! Different policing models? Housing models?

And in the process, changing those red states for purple, if not blue, forever.

It might also return hope to some of the residents and reverse the declining lifespans of their despairing citizenry.
LOL!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57005 on: November 14, 2020, 01:02:06 AM »

Vis-a-vis Mr Yang's unoriginal idea of moving en masse to Georgia and the article from last month, I think, about the bears of Grafton, NH...

I have espoused for years the notion of a couple hundred thousand liberals moving to Montana or some such place and changing the state.

It's based on the Free State Project New Hampshire:
https://www.fsp.org/

I think it was a couple years ago that I commented on the paucity of Libertarian Party and Green Party members occupying even state legislature seats anywhere in the country, but that FSP members had landed more seats in the last decade (then) alone than the Libertarians and Greens combined in their entire histories.

It is a far more powerful model.

With the involvement of Misters Bloomberg, Gates, and Soros, though, I am pretty sure I am dreaming small.

How hard would it be for each of them to basically acquire sufficient land in each of several "red" states and plop down a university with a high tech firm or two affiliated for the purpose of luring workers to a new place, ripe for shaping?!

A city of 100-150,000 would spring up around them, if they did it right, allowing, among other things, laboratory schools for educational experimentation (which Bill should eat up) and so much more! Want to try alternative governance in a controlled experiment?! Different policing models? Housing models?

And in the process, changing those red states for purple, if not blue, forever.

It might also return hope to some of the residents and reverse the declining lifespans of their despairing citizenry.
LOL!

Thank you for that scholarly analysis, Ward.

I assume you understood next to nothing I said, with particular emphasis to the last point.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #57006 on: November 14, 2020, 01:17:06 AM »

As schools shut across the US, Europe made it a mission to keep them open. Duh! Geniuses on both sides of the Atlantic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/13/world/schools-covid-europe-us-lockdown-intl/index.html

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57007 on: November 14, 2020, 01:27:43 AM »

As soon as April, the vaccine will be available to the entire general population with the exception of places like New York State, where, for political reasons, the governor decided to say, and you know, I don’t think it’s good politically, I think it’s very bad from a health standpoint, but he wants to take his time with the vaccine. He doesn’t trust where the vaccine’s coming from. These are coming from the greatest companies anywhere in the world, greatest labs in the world, but he doesn’t trust the fact that it’s this White House, this administration, so we won’t be delivering it to New York until we have authorization to do so and that pains me to say that.

The Liar-in-Chief speaks again, with a threat against the state of New York because he didn't like something the governor said.

bodiddley

• View Profile
Scalito
« Reply #57008 on: November 14, 2020, 01:28:05 AM »

A peek at how partisan Alito is, when talking to the Federalist Society:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/11/13/alito_covid_a_constitutional_stress_test_has_resulted_in_unimaginable_restrictions_on_individual_liberty.html

My favorite is how much he advocates for the saintly Little Sisters of the Poor.  They do such good work, why should they have to follow the law?

Take the protracted campaign against the Little Sisters of the Poor in order of Catholic nuns, the Little Sisters or women who have dedicated their lives to caring for the elderly, poor, regardless of religion. They run homes that have one high praise. Here's some of the testimonials filed in our court by residents of their homes. The Little Sisters, quote, do everything to make us happy. I feel I'm part of the family and that's a great feeling. They will keep you alive 10 years longer than anyplace else because they love you. Carol hassel in a nutshell, I would say this about the Little Sisters, a little bit of heaven fell from the sky one day and landed in my apartment.

Despite this inspiring work, the little sisters have been under unrelenting attack for the better part of a decade. Why because they refused to allow their health insurance plan to provide contraceptives to their employees. For that they were targeted by the prior administration. If they did not knuckle under and violate a tenet of their faith.

Unrelenting.  Knuckle under.   Geez.  And the sob stories about how wonderful they are, which has zero to do with whether they need to follow the law. 

In such cases, I always wonder about the rights of the employees, who by law should have the option of having their contraceptives and other reproductive heath care covered, the same as other Americans.  Why should their boss' views strip them of the rights other Americans have?

Alito and Barrett are two hardcore religious right votes.
Thomas will always be on the right-wing side of any issue, often with his own idiosyncratic take.  So three automatic votes in favor of religious views trumping the law.

I still marvel at the idea that companies are people with religious views and rights, which is misguided in so many ways.

While "unimaginable restrictions" shows where his vote is on gov't CV protections.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57009 on: November 14, 2020, 01:31:39 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/13/politics/federal-prosecutors-william-barr-election-fraud/index.html

A group of federal prosecutors on Friday urged Attorney General William Barr to rescind his order for any prosecutor to examine allegations of voting irregularities before states move to certify the results in the coming weeks, according to an internal letter obtained by CNN.

The letter from the 16 prosecutors comes days after Barr released a memo earlier this week telling prosecutors not involved with the election crimes branch of the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section to skip procedural steps to investigate "substantial" allegations of voter fraud.

"We urge you to rescind it," the prosecutors, who were assigned to enforce federal voting rights laws across the country on Election Day, wrote in boldfaced type about Barr's memo.

The bipartisan coalition of federal "District Election Officers" said Barr's marching orders are "not based on fact."

"It was developed and announced without consulting non-partisan career professionals in the field and at the Department. Finally, the timing of the Memorandum's release thrusts career prosecutors into partisan politics," the prosecutors wrote.

Barr's memo served as a catalyst for the resignation of Richard Pilger, the leader of the election crimes branch. Pilger spoke out against Barr's memo in a resignation letter that he forwarded to colleagues.

The letter was co-signed by 16 assistant US attorneys from 15 out of the 44 jurisdictions that were chosen by the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division to monitor the November 3 general election. The assistant US attorneys said in the letter that, in the districts they monitored, they found no evidence of substantial voting irregularities.

The federal prosecutors in the letter covered jurisdictions in the Eastern and South Districts of New York, Eastern Kentucky, Kansas, Maryland, New Mexico, Northern California, Southern Ohio, Southern Iowa, Western Pennsylvania, Western North Carolina, Western Arkansas, the Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands, plus two prosecutors from Oregon.

"In the jurisdictions where we serve as DEOs, in the 2020 election cycle, there is no evidence of 'substantial allegations of voting and vote tabulation irregularities' that 'could potentially impact the outcome of a federal election,' to use the language from the Memorandum," according to the letter.

Kerri Kupec, a spokeswoman for the Justice Department, declined to comment on the prosecutors' letter.
Instead, Kupec referred to the last paragraph of Barr's memo, which includes: "Nothing here should be taken as any indication that the Department has concluded that voting irregularities have impacted the outcome of any election. Rather, I provide this authority and guidance to emphasize the need to timely and appropriately address allegations of voting irregularities so that all of the American people, regardless of their preferred candidate or party, can have full confidence in the results of our elections."

barton

« Reply #57010 on: November 14, 2020, 10:05:09 AM »

Jeez Josh, you need to just disprove and smackdown Red in a post or two and be done with it.
 He's not willing to engage or deal with facts or be anything other than a moving target of uselessness.  All you're doing is wasting your time and expanding his presence here.  I put him on Ignore and it made for a much better experience here.

Thumbs up.   I don't ignore anyone,  but that's for reasons more anthropological.

barton

« Reply #57011 on: November 14, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »

[...]

I think people here would react mostly negatively to coastal liberals moving in with the notion that they're bringing light.   Would most likely polarize people more, and bring on waves of carpetbagger loathing.   Most anger would focus on the assumption that coastal people know best what Montana or Dakota need.   

barton

« Reply #57012 on: November 14, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/11/rebublicans-should-own-the-libs-by-abolishing-the-electoral-college.html

Interesting look at scenarios where popular vote would benefit Republicans.  (the link works with the typo)

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #57013 on: November 14, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »

[...]

I think people here would react mostly negatively to coastal liberals moving in with the notion that they're bringing light.   Would most likely polarize people more, and bring on waves of carpetbagger loathing.   Most anger would focus on the assumption that coastal people know best what Montana or Dakota need.

Bart-I generally agree with you, Montana for Montanans! I think locals should decide local issues. Besides with the internet and cable tv taking place of the covered wagon, telegraph, and the railroads much of civiliation can be brought to the wild west without the actual annoyance of interlopers and the pollution and tangible garbage that accompanies them.

But what happened to that pioneer spirit, the spirit that led the settlers from the east like Denmark, Norway and Sweden to find their true ancestral home and share it peacefully with the indigineous peoples?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 11:04:20 AM by bankshot1 »

barton

« Reply #57014 on: November 14, 2020, 11:46:16 AM »

There's always ironic humor to be found in xenophobic responses.   Hope it's clear I was just commenting on the extreme idea of dropping a couple hundred thousand coastals in some place like Montana with some specific object of "conversion."

Sometimes you get someplace cosmopolitan,  sometimes you get something like Lake Tahoe this year,  where urban coastals have descended en masse and some don't understand how to handle bears or nature etiquette or where trash goes.   Would I mind a little bit of Boston in Rapid City?   Not at all (I've got a little bit of Boston in me,  after all). 
Pages: 1 ... 3799 3800 [3801] 3802 3803 ... 4288