Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3883 3884 [3885] 3886 3887 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1612798 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #58260 on: November 26, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »

It's useful to distinguish between big government in the sense of large scale economic intervention and regulation,  and in the sense of emergency response.   Public health based mandates shouldn't be part of a partisan platform,  but evaluated on the basis of their efficacy in dealing with an emergency -- like a pandemic.   I can respect the ideas of smaller government in the former sense,  but not the latter.   In the latter case,  medical science must be the authority.   

If there's a hurricane and a million people are rendered homeless,  that's not the time to talk about shrinking the role of FEMA or emergency aid in general because you like small government.  Emergencies require prompt and massive efforts,  not prolonged debates on political philosophy. 

As for the congresswoman of Colorado, cheating to get around the law is exactly what is destroying the integrity of the Law and Order Party.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58261 on: November 26, 2020, 12:36:46 PM »

Incoming Colorado Congresswoman Lauren Boebert, an anti-big government Republican who previously defied local shutdown orders, said she's finding a creative way to bypass Colorado's Thanksgiving gathering restrictions by having a "funeral" for a dead turkey.
In Colorado, Thanksgiving is limited to 10 people, but funerals are limited to 30.So I'm going to have a peaceful funeral for a turkey and have about 30 people at my house, she said.

Hallelujah!

Bragging about the stupid.

Behave as expected.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58262 on: November 26, 2020, 12:41:02 PM »

Utley asked for details and was told to basically "fuck off"

Why shouldn’t I? 

Isn’t this the same motherfucker who accused you of all kind of heinous shit?

I don’t have the balls?

I don’t have the inclination.

Happy Thanksgiv8ng

knicks no one here has a longer or more heated relationship with Utley than me.

No one.

But he was right when he questioned you.

If you're going to post your stuff here then it seems to me fair questions on it, are fair game.

And Utley made a legit observation and questioned you on it.

that you felt the kitchen was getting a little too warm is what it is, but that's not on Utley or me, its on you.

Despite your over-heated stove, I hope the pies are good to go for the family

If you want to play sadomasochistic  word games with that motherfucker be my guest.

I posted what I posted. If you doubt the veracity of it a cursory search will satisfy your curiosity.

By the way that “B college paper” earned a Masters in Strategic Communication from American University when I was 56.

Happy Thanksgiving
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #58264 on: November 26, 2020, 01:04:56 PM »

It's useful to distinguish between big government in the sense of large scale economic intervention and regulation,  and in the sense of emergency response.   Public health based mandates shouldn't be part of a partisan platform,  but evaluated on the basis of their efficacy in dealing with an emergency -- like a pandemic.   I can respect the ideas of smaller government in the former sense,  but not the latter.   In the latter case,  medical science must be the authority.   

If there's a hurricane and a million people are rendered homeless,  that's not the time to talk about shrinking the role of FEMA or emergency aid in general because you like small government.  Emergencies require prompt and massive efforts,  not prolonged debates on political philosophy. 

As for the congresswoman of Colorado, cheating to get around the law is exactly what is destroying the integrity of the Law and Order Party.
The hypothetical involving FEMA in an emergency vis a vis disregarding the First Amendment is ludicrous.
The Congresswoman simply followed the letter of an arbitrary mandate. 
Words matter.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:32:16 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58265 on: November 26, 2020, 01:11:01 PM »

Why shouldn’t I? 

I don’t have the balls?

Happy Thanksgiv8ng

knicks no one here has a longer or more heated relationship with Utley than me.

No one.

But he was right when he questioned you.

If you're going to post your stuff here then it seems to me fair questions on it, are fair game.

And Utley made a legit observation and questioned you on it.

that you felt the kitchen was getting a little too warm is what it is, but that's not on Utley or me, its on you.

Despite your over-heated stove, I hope the pies are good to go for the family

If you want to play sadomasochistic  word games with that motherfucker be my guest.

I posted what I posted. If you doubt the veracity of it a cursory search will satisfy your curiosity.

By the way that “B college paper” earned a Masters in Strategic Communication from American University when I was 56.

Happy Thanksgiving

Knicks I never doubted your veracity-I mocked your unwillingness to share your data (evidence) and comped you to Jenna Ellis solely on that basis.

And knicks congrats on your hardwork and scholarship.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:14:24 PM by bankshot1 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #58266 on: November 26, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »

So Barrett voted in favor of religious groups, as she will do in every other case involving Christian religious groups.

Seems Sen Perdue was lying about not having control over stock sales.
FBI knows he told his financial guy to sell over $1M of one stock slightly before it cratered (dropped from $86 when Perdue sold it down to $30).  So a loss of $600K or more avoided.  Then he rebought it at $30 and it went up to $120.  For another tidy cash-in.  Quadrupling his investment.

And this a company whose board he sat on up til he became a senator.
Kinda suspicious and he lied about not being involved in sales of stocks.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sen-perdue-insisted-he-had-no-input-at-all-on-stock-buys-new-evidence-shows-he-did/ar-BB1bmzQj

Actually I think we only know the range of $1M - $5M so this could even be millions involved.  Unethical.  Lying.  Cheating.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:38:13 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58268 on: November 26, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »

Incoming Colorado Congresswoman Lauren Boebert, an anti-big government Republican who previously defied local shutdown orders, said she's finding a creative way to bypass Colorado's Thanksgiving gathering restrictions by having a "funeral" for a dead turkey.
In Colorado, Thanksgiving is limited to 10 people, but funerals are limited to 30.So I'm going to have a peaceful funeral for a turkey and have about 30 people at my house, she said.

Hallelujah!

"Law and order!"

Ward's an anarchist.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58269 on: November 26, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/26/politics/trump-administration-defense-policy-board/index.html

Part of the ongoing Trumpian attempt to control Biden's presidency.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58270 on: November 26, 2020, 02:34:28 PM »

So Barrett voted in favor of religious groups, as she will do in every other case involving Christian religious groups.

Seems Sen Perdue was lying about not having control over stock sales.
FBI knows he told his financial guy to sell over $1M of one stock slightly before it cratered (dropped from $86 when Perdue sold it down to $30).  So a loss of $600K or more avoided.  Then he rebought it at $30 and it went up to $120.  For another tidy cash-in.  Quadrupling his investment.

And this a company whose board he sat on up til he became a senator.
Kinda suspicious and he lied about not being involved in sales of stocks.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sen-perdue-insisted-he-had-no-input-at-all-on-stock-buys-new-evidence-shows-he-did/ar-BB1bmzQj

Actually I think we only know the range of $1M - $5M so this could even be millions involved.  Unethical.  Lying.  Cheating.

But Ward supports it. Just arbitrary rules, after all.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #58271 on: November 26, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »

No she sided with both Christians and Jews who sued over being denied First Amendment rights.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58272 on: November 26, 2020, 02:42:11 PM »

Why shouldn’t I? 

I don’t have the balls?

Happy Thanksgiv8ng

Poor Larry. He's worse than RED. Red ignores when asked to back his assertions, but Larry takes it as a personal attack on his intelligence as a human being, gets defensive, then starts igniting little fires wherever he thinks they might catch in order to change the subject and to continue to dodge the initial request.

Of course, you "don't have the inclination". Translation:  You know it was a valid criticism to begin with.

And you had to be shamed into to answering a straightforward request.

SAD
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58273 on: November 26, 2020, 02:45:09 PM »

Because I track a lot more of it than I enjoy, I’m fairly familiar with the content of network and cable television since the advent of the cable era. The bulk of its content, till now since the start of that period, both reflects and intensifies negative racial stereotypes about non-whites and positive ones about whites. This is especially true on tv and cable news and in reality shows. That this should grow and maintain racism in the audience is hardly surprising. Nor is it surprising that this should elevate the popularity of race based voter suppression in the audience while making the idea of full and open franchise less popular.

In other words, the findings Larry reports in his abstract track very well with both other research on the topic and simple common sense.

Utley is all over the place so I don’t try much to understand him, though on larger issues I tend to agree with him more than I disagree.

In this case, Utley griped about the depth and complexity of data in an abstract. It’s not shit you get into in an abstract. Unless he has the paper that accompanied the abstract, he has no idea about the depth or complexity of the research. He also pointed to the SC as being a major part of the suppression problem. It is. Larry agreed it is. The current composition of the SC is a symptom of the racism in the polity fed by the racist content view on their TVs. Utley’s linked article supports Larry’s conclusion more than it does anything else in this context. Utley was using it to try and change the focus from our racist selves, friends, and neighbors to the racist court. Top down v. Bottom up.

Unless we get a handle on Larry’s side of that equation, Utley’s will never change in any meaningful or lasting way.

Banks, you tend to be reasonable, funny, balanced, and intelligent on most things, until you pick food fights with Larry again and again and again.

Well, there's a biased retelling of a simple narrative.

Not what happened. REmind your racist self.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #58274 on: November 26, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »

Hallelujah!

WASHINGTON—A 5-4 Supreme Court blocked New York from imposing strict limits on attending religious services to combat Covid-19. New Justice Amy Coney Barrett cast the pivotal vote to depart from past cases, which deferred to state authorities on public-health measures against the coronavirus.

First Amendment, baby,!

"New Justice Amy Coney Barrett cast the pivotal vote to depart from past cases" indicating her full embrace of her incompentancy.
Pages: 1 ... 3883 3884 [3885] 3886 3887 ... 4288