Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3897 3898 [3899] 3900 3901 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1601224 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #58470 on: November 28, 2020, 06:12:46 PM »

23,816,775 population of Taiwan..almost as many as Australa at 25 million.
There could easily be more than 6 million dead when China goes to war with Taiwan.

Go woke, go broke.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58471 on: November 28, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »

"If not for COVID, Trump gets re-elected"

Thanks for finally agreeing, Bank.

I'm not aware I've argued with you on that point.

In fact, I do recall you praised Trump for all he did re covid.

And on that we disagreed.

Rephrasing - thank you for indirectly praising Trump's work over the 4 years, COVID aside.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58472 on: November 28, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »

I'm glad you seem understand my debating knicks (probably 6 times in Elbas history) is not terribly different than you debating Red everyday for the past 4 years.

And knicks is more responsive to reason than Red, but to get to responsiveness sometimes you have to debate.

You may have noticed that I am working on far fewer responses to Red and Kid, let alone as much back and forth.

I sometimes now respond with facts for others to absorb.

I am still enflamed by Kid's callous, aggressive denial of facts of people's deaths, but working on that. too.

I think facts and a well turned phrase is a decent start to having intelligent conversations. That you attempt it with red or kid is a testament in your faith in change.

Again I've only had a small handful of arguments (maybe 6) with knicks.

I just think it pretty funny, after years of you hectoring Red, you're telling me I should lay-off knicks.

But I will.

Knicks = Biden

Ok, boomer.

You know - kid gloves and all.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58473 on: November 28, 2020, 06:17:38 PM »

I agree with it, too.

I would not have in October, but I would have been wrong. It makes me very sad.

But had he handled COVID-19 at all responsibly, he would not only have gotten reelected, but it would have been by a wide margin.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58474 on: November 28, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »

Rephrasing - thank you for indirectly praising Trump's work over the 4 years, COVID aside.

Speaking of gross misinterpretations.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #58475 on: November 28, 2020, 06:28:40 PM »

Without covid, the past ten months would have continued a strong economy as measured by faulty indicators like the Dow,  and better indicators like employment rate.   America is a moderate conservative country,  and the working class doesn't take much time to dwell on character or honesty,  and is fairly susceptible to social media attacks on Democrats....so Trump would have squeaked by.   I might have been tempted to move to the new member of the United Nations,  The Western Coast Union,  or the other new member,  The Northeast Union.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58476 on: November 28, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »

Oh if we're getting to rephrase and change the subject

Let me be clear

Trump has been the worst President in my life time

He has weakened this country in so many ways, attacked and weakened strong core institutions, he is corrupt and used his position to enrich himself and friends, hurt our relationships with trusted and long-term allies. I could go on. but perhaps his using hate and racism to turn Americans against Americans will be the worst thing he has done.

He was the real disease that threatened America,

But the tumor has not yet been removed.

I'm not sure how many more histories or tell-alls will be penned on this sad 4 years of American history, but Trump will not be remembered kindly.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58477 on: November 28, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »

How long before Biden is in a war and blames Trump?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58478 on: November 28, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »

Mass murderers of history seem to sort into two main groups -  direct killing and letting starvation do the job.   The starvers leave themselves an out,  where they can pretend "those dead people killed themselves because they didn't cooperate with the program. "   Trump would be closer to the starver camp,  since it was based on a passive inaction of letting shit happen.

So, Trump is like the British.

Makes sense.

Yep.   Nobody made a potato blight and dropped it into Irish fields.  But once the staple food was wiped out,  Ireland was a distant unreal place to most English, it had no seats in parliament, and it was seen as a nuisance place full of Papists.   Some parallels to Puerto Rico.

A Modest Proposal...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58479 on: November 28, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »

Where did I find gas chambers and  ZyklonB funny?

In your off the cuff response to Utley

Similar results without the expense of contracting for gas chambers and zyklnB

Your casual indifference to the extermination of 6 million people was disgusting.

You should be ashamed of yourself for that.

Fuck off you pissy bitch.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58480 on: November 28, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »

Your casual indifference to the extermination of 6 million people was disgusting.

LMAO

I told Josh I'd be nice to you

C+

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58481 on: November 28, 2020, 06:48:04 PM »

Banks, this is three of us who largely have no beefs with you offering a different perspective.

At least one of us is Jewish.

Give it some thought, please.

I didn't read Larry's comments as diminishing gas chambers,  but rather as rhetoric to underscore that passive methods can be horrific,  too.   I think some of you just relish picking on someone,  and making every disagreement a zero sum game.

Yes.   Some come here just looking for a fight.

Perhaps they do not share the same sensitivity to the holocaust as I do.

Fwiw,when knicks and I first had the covid-final solution discussion a couple of months ago (whenever) Kam seemed to idicate as I recall that the comp was in really poor taste.

And Ftr, it wasn't me who dredged up that topic today to reopen that distaeful discussion. Knicks for reasons unknown wanted to talk about 6 million dead Jews.

Don’t forget the Gypsies, Gays, Communists, Pacifists, and Quakers, and other victims. It’s like the Germans condensed a sizable portion of the transatlantic slave trade or manifest destiny into less than a single generation. Of course the Germans had the previous examples to draw from along with incredible new technologies from IBM to help their efforts.

Making distinctions, seeking clarification, and pointing out what rings hollow to you are the life’s blood of this forum. They stand apart from all the ass kicking that happens here too. Posters rarely succeed at accomplishing both at once.

Without actually arriving, trump turned the United States to a dehumanizing and totalitarian course that if given time and a diminished opposition would steadily reach the levels of the regime of the author of trump’s night stand reading. There are a large ship of fools who are very much with the program, with or without trump.

Thinking about Holocausts, how they could happen again, and what they have and could in future look like here are vital though thorny topics to discuss. Many people around the world would love a good answer to how a free, fair, open, and pluralistic polity deals with its genocidally insane. It won’t be an easy conversation, but it is one worth having.

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58482 on: November 28, 2020, 06:51:23 PM »

LMAO

C+

“We both use facts in our discussions and attempts to persuade. You with Red and me recently with knicks.”

Banks, I would readily agree to facts, but you mistake your OPINION for facts when you’re hectoring me.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:55:04 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58483 on: November 28, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »

Banks, this is three of us who largely have no beefs with you offering a different perspective.

At least one of us is Jewish.

Give it some thought, please.

I didn't read Larry's comments as diminishing gas chambers,  but rather as rhetoric to underscore that passive methods can be horrific,  too.   I think some of you just relish picking on someone,  and making every disagreement a zero sum game.

Yes.   Some come here just looking for a fight.

Perhaps they do not share the same sensitivity to the holocaust as I do.

Fwiw,when knicks and I first had the covid-final solution discussion a couple of months ago (whenever) Kam seemed to idicate as I recall that the comp was in really poor taste.

And Ftr, it wasn't me who dredged up that topic today to reopen that distaeful discussion. Knicks for reasons unknown wanted to talk about 6 million dead Jews.

Don’t forget the Gypsies, Gays, Communists, Pacifists, and Quakers, and other victims. It’s like the Germans condensed a sizable portion of the transatlantic slave trade or manifest destiny into less than a single generation. Of course the Germans had the previous examples to draw from along with incredible new technologies from IBM to help their efforts.

Making distinctions, seeking clarification, and pointing out what rings hollow to you are the life’s blood of this forum. They stand apart from all the ass kicking that happens here too. Posters rarely succeed at accomplishing both at once.

Without actually arriving, trump turned the United States to a dehumanizing and totalitarian course that if given time and a diminished opposition would steadily reach the levels of the regime of the author of trump’s night stand reading. There are a large ship of fools who are very much with the program, with or without trump.

Thinking about Holocausts, how they could happen again, and what they have and could in future look like here are vital though thorny topics to discuss. Many people around the world would love a good answer to how a free, fair, open, and pluralistic polity deals with its genocidally insane. It won’t be an easy conversation, but it is one worth having.

Quite.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58484 on: November 28, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »

LMAO

C+

We both use facts in our discussions and attempts to persuade. You with Red and me recently with knicks.

Banks, I would readily agree to facts, but you mistake your OPINION for facts when you’re hectoring me.

Knicks as demonstrated by your unwillingness to suppport your opinion with your data seems to contradict your sudden beliief in facts.

And

You recently compared an airborn virus , an act of nature to a 15 year demonic plan to exterminate European Jews (and other undesriables).

And IIRC you said that the difference was covid was more efficient in killing than poison gas and gas chambers.

I thought it little cold and callous at this time of we give thanks and count our blessings

But I guess you give thanks to different things that I do.

And knicks years in equity research taught me to back up my opinions with facts
old habits are hard to break
particularly good habits

Pages: 1 ... 3897 3898 [3899] 3900 3901 ... 4288