Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4010 4011 [4012] 4013 4014 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995293 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #60165 on: December 14, 2020, 06:01:41 PM »

Good point, UNO. Good to see that occasionally a worthwhile idea does still penetrate.

Is there a NASA problem, per se?

This guy thinks so:Years ago I visited a friend at JPL, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California, and he asked if I wanted to meet the captain of the Voyager 2, the space probe launched in 1977, then headed toward Neptune. “Absolutely!” In the middle of a messy room sat a young woman drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette—the captain!—next to a toaster-size gray box with a white dimmer-like knob on top of it. Radio signals take hours to reach the Voyager, and between long stretches of boredom, the captain could use the knob to adjust its antenna. My friend was captain the previous week, and now it was her turn.

As we recalled during the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing last year, space travel is a great challenge, a destiny just out of reach—until it isn’t. It’s aspirational and inspirational. Even so, wise guys (like me) note that after billions poured into the space program, all we got were Tang and Velcro. Earthwise, that’s not so far off. It’s called space because, let’s face it, there’s not much in it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dear-nasa-whats-in-it-for-me-11607900349
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 06:03:40 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60166 on: December 14, 2020, 06:05:20 PM »

A late but long worked towards installment for delivery of trump’s imposter presidency,

http://www.emptywheel.net/2020/12/14/after-trump-spent-four-years-inviting-russia-to-hack-the-us-russia-allegedly-did-just-that/
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #60167 on: December 14, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »

UNO, I encourage you to relate the excerpt you posted to manufacturing shuttles in Van Nuys or Mojave or anywhere else. Or Tony, you might weigh in, or anyone else for that matter.

I think there are currently bigger fish to fry. Still, a rising tide lifts all boats.

The tide is not faithfully or accurately indicated by market numbers. That is for any dim bulb that sputters late before it fizzles out. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 06:13:35 PM by facilitatorn »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #60168 on: December 14, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »

Trump's new guy comes from

Kirkland & Ellis LLP is an American law firm. Founded in 1909 in Chicago, Illinois, Kirkland is the largest law firm in the world by revenue, the seventh-largest by number of attorneys,[1] and is the first law firm in the world to reach US$4 billion in revenue.[3] Kirkland also ranks second-highest globally in profits per equity partner, and is the highest among firms with a global presence.[4] While Kirkland was historically considered a firm focused on litigation, during the 2010s, it expanded private equity and restructuring practices which, together with large-scale commercial litigation, comprise the core legal service areas of the firm.[5]

Kirkland has represented many prominent and controversial clients, such as British Petroleum (in relation to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill), Jeffrey Epstein, and Bain Capital. Prominent attorneys of the firm have included numerous conservatives and Republican administration officials, including Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh; former appellate court Judge Robert Bork; Clinton-era Special Counsel Ken Starr; and various Trump administration officials, including former National Security Adviser John R. Bolton, Attorney General William Barr, former Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta*, and Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar.

Also, from Wikipedia: On February 19, 2019, President Donald Trump announced his intention to nominate Rosen for the position of United States Deputy Attorney General, succeeding Rod Rosenstein upon his departure from the Department of Justice. He was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on May 16 by a vote of 52–45.[7] His nomination to become the second-highest law enforcement official was unusual, as Rosen had no previous prosecutorial experience.[4] Attorney General William Barr had urged Trump to choose Rosen as his deputy.[8] Rosen was sworn in on May 22, 2019.[9]

Hey, I'm leaving the club, but here, take my guy from the club. He's a good club guy. Chum.

*He's the guy who set Jeffrey Epstein free in Florida, remember?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #60169 on: December 14, 2020, 06:18:10 PM »

Biden's Landslide gives him a mandate.

Most American votes ever in a POTUS election.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60170 on: December 14, 2020, 06:46:03 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/politics/kelly-loeffler-photo-chester-doles/index.html

Loeffler insists she has no idea who was sharing a stage with her and she disavowed Doles.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #60171 on: December 14, 2020, 06:46:44 PM »

K&E are the firm ultimately overseeing the infiltration for Putin. Did they register as his lobbyist?

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #60172 on: December 14, 2020, 06:47:17 PM »

Biden's Landslide gives him a mandate.

Most American votes ever in a POTUS election.

Very true.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #60173 on: December 14, 2020, 07:00:06 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #60174 on: December 14, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »

Good point, UNO. Good to see that occasionally a worthwhile idea does still penetrate.

Is there a NASA problem, per se?

This guy thinks so:Years ago I visited a friend at JPL, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California, and he asked if I wanted to meet the captain of the Voyager 2, the space probe launched in 1977, then headed toward Neptune. “Absolutely!” In the middle of a messy room sat a young woman drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette—the captain!—next to a toaster-size gray box with a white dimmer-like knob on top of it. Radio signals take hours to reach the Voyager, and between long stretches of boredom, the captain could use the knob to adjust its antenna. My friend was captain the previous week, and now it was her turn.

As we recalled during the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing last year, space travel is a great challenge, a destiny just out of reach—until it isn’t. It’s aspirational and inspirational. Even so, wise guys (like me) note that after billions poured into the space program, all we got were Tang and Velcro. Earthwise, that’s not so far off. It’s called space because, let’s face it, there’s not much in it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dear-nasa-whats-in-it-for-me-11607900349

Research Sam Seaborn's thoughts on space travel.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #60175 on: December 14, 2020, 07:26:17 PM »

I love the way Kiid circuitously reveres Lawrence O’Donnell. Kiid should pay more heed to the man’s take on current affairs. Get your head right, Kiddo.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60176 on: December 14, 2020, 07:28:21 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #60178 on: December 14, 2020, 07:40:21 PM »

Apparently Google wasn't hacked,  just glitchy.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/dec/14/google-suffers-worldwide-outage-with-gmail-youtube-and-other-services-down

The widespread failure of Google services revealed to many the extent to which they rely on the company for basic tasks. The company’s smart home services were some of the first to cause real problems: users who had rebuilt their homes around voice commands found themselves unable to turn on the lights thanks to a failure of Google Home and Google Assistant, while those with the company’s Nest thermostats were unable to control their home’s heating with an app, as they had become used to doing.

( As if that weren't enough of a textbook case of "white people problems, " there was also the paragraph describing people who were "unable to even vacuum their homes, " being tragically abandoned by Roombas which were somehow tied to Google Smart Home apps...)

barton

« Reply #60179 on: December 14, 2020, 07:42:30 PM »

Research Sam Seaborn's thoughts on space travel.

Help us out here.   Only through season one. 
Pages: 1 ... 4010 4011 [4012] 4013 4014 ... 4288