Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4042 4043 [4044] 4045 4046 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998024 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #60645 on: December 20, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »

The Science Josh likes to ignore.

Estimation of US Children’s Educational Attainment and Years of Life Lost Associated With Primary School Closures During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic

These findings suggest that the decision to close US public primary schools in the early months of 2020 may be associated with a decrease in life expectancy for US children.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2772834?utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jamanetworkopen&utm_content=wklyforyou&utm_term=111320

If you read the abstract, then you know the premise is that anything that reduces educational attainment correlates with shorter lifespan.   Any policy.   From any party,  at any level of government.   So we must conclude that you and Bernie Sanders are now in full alignment on going all out to promote maximum access to college for all.   

Also note the "may be" associated with decreased life expectancy.   We can still compensate for the year of pandemic.   The effects are not set in stone.

"May be" is the great qualifier.

I read the JAMA abstract and had a lot of questions and reservations, but the big one was if in-school teaching was delayed for young children for about 2-3 months (April-June, regular school year) and limited to just one school year, I would think a lot of the negative short-term effect could be made up relatively quickly. To say that young kids lives will be shortened because they missed 30-60 days of school and they might not go to college becasue the Argentinian model suggests that may be the case, and thus their lives will be shorter seems a helluva lot of dots to connect. and is one helluva stretch.

I would think the disruption of a young child's life may be more pronounced if they lost a mother or father to covid.

Bart-Hu Flung Dung is still wokking away at Sum Dum Goy and recently got engaged to his long time GF, Yu Phat Fuk
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 10:30:30 AM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60646 on: December 20, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

https://www.theroot.com/boston-cop-seen-on-body-cam-footage-bragging-about-driv-1845919682

We have a police problem.

It is not a small problem. It is not "a couple of bad eggs." The scene below is one from this article, but hardly the only one. The sergeant has been suspended, but what about the other one who simply tells him that the camera is on, without objecting to what is being said or turning the man in?

And there are so many other scenarios - both mentioned and unmentioned.

“Dude, dude, dude, I fuckin’ drove down Tremont—there was an unmarked state police cruiser they were all gathered around,” says the sergeant, laughing.

“So then I had a fucker keep coming, fucking running,” he continues. “I’m fucking hitting people with the car, did you hear me, I was like, ‘get the fuck—’”

At this point the officer behind the camera pushes the sergeant’s head away and walks off in the other direction. He comes back a few seconds later, saying, “it’s on,” about the camera.

The sergeant quickly changes his story.

“Oh, no no no no no, what I’m saying is, though, that they were in front, like, I didn’t hit anybody, like, just driving, that’s all,” he says. “My windows were closed, the shit was coming in.”

By refusing to send relief to State and Local government the Republican Senate is in effect moving to

DEFUND THE POLICE!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60647 on: December 20, 2020, 11:13:06 AM »

Estimation of US Children’s Educational Attainment and Years of Life Lost Associated With Primary School Closures During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic

These findings suggest that the decision to close US public primary schools in the early months of 2020 may be associated with a decrease in life expectancy for US children.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2772834?utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jamanetworkopen&utm_content=wklyforyou&utm_term=111320

If you read the abstract, then you know the premise is that anything that reduces educational attainment correlates with shorter lifespan.   Any policy.   From any party,  at any level of government.   So we must conclude that you and Bernie Sanders are now in full alignment on going all out to promote maximum access to college for all.   

Also note the "may be" associated with decreased life expectancy.   We can still compensate for the year of pandemic.   The effects are not set in stone.
You would have done better just to post your squirrel picture.
What you did offer missed the  point of the study.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60648 on: December 20, 2020, 11:13:31 AM »

Well, it's all based on state law.
That was the PA interp of PA law.

My father, now early 80's, was wondering how his signature compares to his original signature from perhaps 50+ years ago. 

Yes, state law. And a good chunk of variation between them. But sometimes the arguments cross borders and/or bump into similarities.

My father's signature deteriorated with his increasing inability to hold a pen and control where his hand would go. As this is a heritable trait and I am the proud possessor of this progressive neurological condition, I expect that my already undecipherable scrawl will transition over time to his X, should I live to my 90s as he (and one of his brothers and his father and uncle all did).

I'm less concerned about that than his difficulty with food prep and just getting the fork or spoon or glass to my mouth! And I am less concerned about those for me than I was for him, as the combination of science and tech progress.

But the things that can change signatures are legion. Either they should be asking one to redo the sigs regularly or they should change the method of determination.

It’s all a ruse to excuse voter suppression.

This whole argument about the recent elections is cover over the GOP anger about failing to keep black people out of the voting booth.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #60649 on: December 20, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »

"May be" is the great qualifier.

I read the JAMA abstract and had a lot of questions and reservations, but the big one was if in-school teaching was delayed for young children for about 2-3 months (April-June, regular school year) and limited to just one school year, I would think a lot of the negative short-term effect could be made up relatively quickly. To say that young kids lives will be shortened because they missed 30-60 days of school and they might not go to college becasue the Argentinian model suggests that may be the case, and thus their lives will be shorter seems a helluva lot of dots to connect. and is one helluva stretch....

It is a stretch,  and one that highlights the problem with analytical papers that use broad data mining...and end with "may be... "   

Also,  it's amusing the conservatives only cite papers like this to make a partisan argument,  but will turn around and say "children are flexible and bounce back easily, " or "that's the parents responsibility," in a "this is common sense" tone when it suits them,  like when they want to cut a social service program.   

barton

« Reply #60650 on: December 20, 2020, 11:26:10 AM »

Which was what?  (see my reply to Banks above)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60651 on: December 20, 2020, 11:39:02 AM »

Which was what?  (see my reply to Banks above)
That made no sense, either.
Reducing the issue to a hypothetical battle between liberals and conservatives by inventing quotes is silly.
Many Elementary schools were closed without regard to political persuasions.  Scientists were divided. 
Changing the subject to college financing misses the obvious.  If kids don’t live to get an elementary education then how we handle college costs is irrelevant.

barton

« Reply #60652 on: December 20, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »

I think it's fair to say you missed my point.   The college example was used in pointing out a comparable situation, in the analytical model you were citing.   If reducing in-school access to the young reduces overall educational attainment throughout life (which is the premise of your article), then so do other crimps on schooling,  including unaffordable tuition, poor school meal nutrition, lack of early learning options,  lack of social services to single parents and at-risk youth, etc.     IOW,  you can't have it both ways,  by being nobly committed to in-school teaching while neglecting the other components of what the article calls educational attainment.   

And I wasn't inventing quotes.   Conservatives at this very forum have dismissed the value of progressive programs with those sorts of remarks.   The point is that you can plead one progressive measure only if you rationally accept that education is a continuum of needs spanning the first two decades,  and more,  of life.   If you do that, then perhaps my point about the limited and speculative character of that JAMA study will be clearer.   

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:10:09 PM by barton »

barton

« Reply #60653 on: December 20, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »

Brief digression:

What kind of coup can be described in 17 syllables?

A High Coup!  (haiku)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60654 on: December 20, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »

ZERO ICU beds in southern California.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/southern-california-icu-capacity-at-zero-as-u-s-covid-cases-rise-97952325536

Must be time for Kid to pop in to tell me that the press are inflating the story or that we are turning the cornere, so why post these negative stories.

Usually it's generally agreed to be a public health crisis when hospitals start setting up overflow tents,  as has happened several places in SoCal.   Hard to wrap my head around anyone being able to spin this otherwise.   Hope Facilitator is staying well.

I’m staying well and sitting tight for the holidays. I draw strength from Red’s decompensation as all power drains from his cult and returns to the people. 

When Red talks about missing school he’s sharing something from his personal experience. Never learning how to read, never learning the difference between good and evil, and never even trying to learn how not to be an asshole have each palpably impoverished his life.

He’s a very typical republican in that regard. 

http://www.salon.com/2020/12/20/so-fascism-came-to-america--but-what-was-it-wearing/

When fascism comes to America, it will be sexually assaulting the flag, carrying a Bible upside down, riding in a golf cart with various frat-boy buddies, and enjoying the fact that tear gas and rubber bullets are in use against peaceful protesters — and then scurrying away to hide in a bunker.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60655 on: December 20, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/12/trump-stochastic-terrorism-violence-rhetoric

The definition is not from the article, but I know a couple of readers won't know the term used in this article to describe what Trump is (and has been) doing:

stochastic terrorism [stuh-kas-tik ter-uh-riz-uh m] -noun- the public demonization of a person or group resulting in the incitement of a violent act, which is statistically probable but whose specifics cannot be predicted: The lone-wolf attack was apparently influenced by the rhetoric of stochastic terrorism.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60656 on: December 20, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »

Yes, the point is, as with the economic recovery we are going to need to invest in en educational recovery as well, focusing resources on how we can adjust our educational system in order to make up the deficit and help avert this outcome. We are also going to have to direct resources to the health issues that are going to result, not just from school shutdowns, but the entire COVID crisis, from mental health to health care access to the lingering long term effect.of the virus on individual health.

Resources means money. Got any suggestions, or are you just stuck on open everything up and fuck the hundreds of thousands of dead people?
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60657 on: December 20, 2020, 12:50:28 PM »

Red is already going to Hell. He’s not going to start giving a fuck about people now.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

barton

« Reply #60658 on: December 20, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »

Resources means money. Got any suggestions, or are you just stuck on open everything up and fuck the hundreds of thousands of dead people?

Hoping he doesn't see mass necrophilia as an option.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60659 on: December 20, 2020, 12:54:46 PM »

I think it's fair to say you missed my point.   The college example was used in pointing out a comparable situation, in the analytical model you were citing.   If reducing in-school access to the young reduces overall educational attainment throughout life (which is the premise of your article), then so do other crimps on schooling,  including unaffordable tuition, poor school meal nutrition, lack of early learning options,  lack of social services to single parents and at-risk youth, etc.     
IOW,  you can't have it both ways,  by being nobly committed to in-school teaching while neglecting the other components of what the article calls educational attainment.   
Huh? Can’t have WHAT both ways? Without access to elementary education then college will only be accessible to the rich. And closing elementary schools to in-school teaching already  has direct and negative impact on meal nutrition for the poor, lack of early learning opportunities, plus devastating effects on those parents who cannot work from home, and, as the study points out, the most disastrous effects on at-risk youth.

And I wasn't inventing quotes.   Conservatives at this very forum have dismissed the value of progressive programs with those sorts of remarks.   The point is that you can plead one progressive measure only if you rationally accept that education is a continuum of needs spanning the first two decades,  and more,  of life.   If you do that, then perhaps my point about the limited and speculative character of that JAMA study will be clearer.
Hiding behind the political tropes and code words just diminishes your position.
Use some facts. If you want to emphasize other programs go ahead but this study was about keeping kids out of the classroom.
Pages: 1 ... 4042 4043 [4044] 4045 4046 ... 4288