Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4049 4050 [4051] 4052 4053 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998644 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #60750 on: December 21, 2020, 12:09:39 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/12/21/kinzinger-flynn-martial-law-twitter-conspiracy-theories-sot-newday-vpx.cnn

A GOP US Rep pushing back on the White House inanity and insanity that some of his colleagues are using to raise money, instead.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #60751 on: December 21, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »

“Even with a vaccine, I will continue following CDC guidelines by wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, and washing my hands frequently," McConnell said. "I would strongly encourage everyone to continue following these important guidelines. It is the only way we will defeat COVID-19 once and for all."

WHAT ELSE?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60752 on: December 21, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »

I'm hoping that this eruption won't prove to be as damaging as its last one. Kilauea destroyed ~700 homes last time.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/21/us/kilauea-hawaii-volcano-eruption/index.html
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60753 on: December 21, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article247928045.html

The Kansas City Star owns up to and apologizes for its racist history.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #60754 on: December 21, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »

Oh the insanity.

---'Subpoenas are necessary': House watchdog details extensive meddling with CDC Covid-19 reports---

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/21/house-watchdog-cdc-covid-reports-449517
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60755 on: December 21, 2020, 02:08:51 PM »

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus: https://www.npr.org/2020/12/21/948736896/virginia-removes-its-robert-e-lee-statue-from-u-s-capitol

The Lee statue will be moved to the Virginia Museum of History and Culture in Richmond, according to the governor's office.

Excellent
Wait... you are right. Museums are where things like that belong. If you take the "we are erasing our history' approach to statues, we put statues in public places to honor people; we put things in museums to remember history. In context.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #60756 on: December 21, 2020, 02:40:20 PM »

Clyburn issued subpoenas to Azar and Redfield, ordering them by Dec. 30 to produce "full and unredacted" documents that Clyburn said his panel has sought for months.

Say, "pretty please".
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60757 on: December 21, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »

Clyburn issued subpoenas to Azar and Redfield, ordering them by Dec. 30 to produce "full and unredacted" documents that Clyburn said his panel has sought for months.

Say, "pretty please".
People of your political bent are about to rediscover the virtue of legislative oversight of the executive branch.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60758 on: December 21, 2020, 03:01:16 PM »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/heavily-armed-far-right-mob-descends-on-oregon-capitol

And they don't get shot and have not yet gotten tear gassed or pepper sprayed.

No, I am not suggesting that they should. I am suggesting that they would have had they been off different skin tone.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60759 on: December 21, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60760 on: December 21, 2020, 03:11:58 PM »

Say, "pretty please".

Why do you hate this nation?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #60761 on: December 21, 2020, 04:48:55 PM »

According to the NYT's the $900B emergency relief bill had some last minute add-ins.

The draft text of the $900 billion emergency coronavirus relief package speeding its way to passage contains a tax write-off, favored by corporate lobbyists and the White House, that Democrats have derided as a “three-martini” deduction that mostly helps the rich.

The deduction was added as a concession by Democrats in exchange for an expansion of tax credits for the poor, said Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat who serves as ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee.

“Republicans were nickel-and-diming benefits for jobless workers, while at the same time pushing for tax breaks for three-martini lunches,” Mr. Wyden said in a statement on Monday. “It’s unconscionable.”

Let 'em eat cake, but first bring us 3 bottles of Dom.

barton

« Reply #60762 on: December 21, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/heavily-armed-far-right-mob-descends-on-oregon-capitol

No, I am not suggesting that they should. I am suggesting that they would have had they been off different skin tone.

From the article....

A dozen more troopers arrived at the door, declared it an unlawful assembly, and pushed the crowd back, using some kind of deterrent in a series of “pop” sounds, at which point the protesters swarmed back out again, their eyes watering and coughing.

Outside, a standoff between troopers in riot gear and the protesters began, as some people chanted “shame” while dozens sang the National Anthem. One woman was also seen holding a pitchfork with an American flag attached. Troopers eventually responded with pepper spray and blue gas—which dispersed some of the crowd. By 10:30 p.m., the protest consisted of about 50 people. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60763 on: December 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »

According to the NYT's the $900B emergency relief bill had some last minute add-ins.

The draft text of the $900 billion emergency coronavirus relief package speeding its way to passage contains a tax write-off, favored by corporate lobbyists and the White House, that Democrats have derided as a “three-martini” deduction that mostly helps the rich.

The deduction was added as a concession by Democrats in exchange for an expansion of tax credits for the poor, said Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat who serves as ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee.

“Republicans were nickel-and-diming benefits for jobless workers, while at the same time pushing for tax breaks for three-martini lunches,” Mr. Wyden said in a statement on Monday. “It’s unconscionable.”

Let 'em eat cake, but first bring us 3 bottles of Dom.

Reminds me of my favorite Christmas song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2X0JzlO8SM
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60764 on: December 21, 2020, 05:19:06 PM »

From the article....

A dozen more troopers arrived at the door, declared it an unlawful assembly, and pushed the crowd back, using some kind of deterrent in a series of “pop” sounds, at which point the protesters swarmed back out again, their eyes watering and coughing.

Outside, a standoff between troopers in riot gear and the protesters began, as some people chanted “shame” while dozens sang the National Anthem. One woman was also seen holding a pitchfork with an American flag attached. Troopers eventually responded with pepper spray and blue gas—which dispersed some of the crowd. By 10:30 p.m., the protest consisted of about 50 people. 

I take it all back.

They got gassed, but not shot.
Pages: 1 ... 4049 4050 [4051] 4052 4053 ... 4288