Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4070 4071 [4072] 4073 4074 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1999447 times)

barton

Re: Equity Hubs, one clever solution for working parents
« Reply #61065 on: December 26, 2020, 11:14:38 AM »

Nine months after the pandemic closed down Stedwick Elementary School, learning in suburban Montgomery County is still all remote. But while most students plug in on laptops from home, some are on campus, working from holiday-decorated classrooms.

They are part of “equity hubs” that bring small groups of children together, so that parents who struggle financially have a safe, supervised place for their children to focus on online learning. The hubs are akin to the “pandemic pods” that more affluent families have created, often hiring tutors or teachers.

“This has been a blessing for us,” said Lindsay Montgomery, a single mother of three who lives in Rockville, Md., and said the program has allowed her to work in the afternoons without bringing her 5-year-old along. It also has helped him keep up in kindergarten, she said.... 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/pandemic-learning-pod-montgomery-county/2020/12/25/9216f7c4-2de9-11eb-860d-f7999599cbc2_story.html

I like the middle ground this system finds, between live school and stuck at home.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #61066 on: December 26, 2020, 11:31:47 AM »

That's because your question isn't sincere and the only people likely to answer (2) are even less sincere.

Question is 100% sincere.
These were two options.
One a huge success, the other a huge failure.

Then there's this asshole, Trump's CV adviser, Scott Atlas who won't admit now that he was a genuine herd immunity backer:

And that approach is why the question is not actually sincere. You don't care about the answer from those of us who agree with you (which is almost all of us) and while you want to understand the whys of those who disagree with your conclusion and insist that the path we followed was right, you know full well that they will never answer in any substantive way.

As for Atlasshole, he never admitted that was his view, even though it was obvious that it was. He denied it from the start of his White House role. He said this in August:
“There is no policy of the President or this administration of achieving herd immunity. There never has been any such policy recommended to the President or to anyone else from me.”

This, despite his having said in July what sounds to everybody else a push for the herd immunity approach:
“These people getting the infection is not really a problem, and in fact, as we said months ago, when you isolate everyone, including all the healthy people, you’re prolonging the problem because you’re preventing population immunity. Low-risk groups getting the infection is not a problem.”

But, as I said, since at least August he has been insisting that he is not recommending a herd immunity approach.

I think he simply lies - but his denials in December are not new.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61067 on: December 26, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »

1) a strong two month lockdown with all business closed except food, medical and public transport followed by a 2 month gradual reopening -- life back to normal, economy fully open thereafter with few deaths and illnesses

Should we do this every time there is a suspected virus?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61068 on: December 26, 2020, 12:04:47 PM »

“These people getting the infection is not really a problem, and in fact, as we said months ago, when you isolate everyone, including all the healthy people, you’re prolonging the problem because you’re preventing population immunity. Low-risk groups getting the infection is not a problem.”

Realizing that we should be isolating the elderly has saved tens of thousands, minimally.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61069 on: December 26, 2020, 12:08:08 PM »

Realizing that we should be isolating the elderly has saved tens of thousands, minimally.

No doubt.

Not isolating the young adults has led to tens of thousands of them dying.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61070 on: December 26, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »

No doubt.

He said, in agreement with Atlas

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61071 on: December 26, 2020, 01:02:16 PM »

I can dig up Atlas quotes where he says that it is a good thing if young people get the virus, that we want them to get and that's a positive.
He just couldn't say that was official US policy, because advocating deaths is not usually popular.

The problem with that of course is ... well, lets; take an example.  College kids are young healthy willing to take risks and like to gather together.  Which is not much of a problem for most of them, as they mostly will not be affected by getting infected.  But the college has professors and cleaning staff and cafeteria workers who are all older and at risk.  Plus college isn't a bubble.  Many students live and/or work off campus, those on campus frequent the local town and whatever bars and restaurants and shops are open, etc.   So there's no way to restrict the virus to the young college students.  It inevitably spreads throughout the college town and beyond.  Open colleges = CV hotspots.

I posted that article not to show that Atlas was in favor of herd immunity -- what I call stealth herd immunity, since he denies it.  But that he thinks this is a time to praise the Trump Admin and that the media is at fault for politicizing the virus (ie not Trump).  Atlas is a complete partisan hack.  A doctor Trump found on Fox News and liked because he was pugnacious.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61072 on: December 26, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »

As for my Q, I thought I was the only here that thought it was possible to virtually eliminate the virus from the US.  Or that strict lockdowns and contact tracing was doable in the US.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61073 on: December 26, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »

I can dig up Atlas quotes where he says that it is a good thing if young people get the virus, that we want them to get and that's a positive.
He just couldn't say that was official US policy, because advocating deaths is not usually popular
Except in Communist China. Where it IS the policy of the ruling class.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #61074 on: December 26, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »

315: Days Trump has visited a golf course as president, according to Factba.se, a data analytics company.

418: Days Trump has visited a property he owns, according to Factba.se.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61075 on: December 26, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »

No doubt.

He said, in agreement with Atlas

If Atlas said there was gravity, I would agree with him, troll.

If we had locked down the homes for the aged faster, even more lives would have been saved.

Duh.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61076 on: December 26, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »

As for my Q, I thought I was the only here that thought it was possible to virtually eliminate the virus from the US.  Or that strict lockdowns and contact tracing was doable in the US.

No.

I provided at one point, for example, the device used in another country at all the retail establishments for making contact tracing easier.

I also have continually pointed out that some states did strict lockdowns with mask mandates and got strong differences in results from the states that did neither.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61077 on: December 26, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »

It will never be totally eliminated, anywhere

But they will stop with the morbid count,

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61078 on: December 26, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »

315: Days Trump has visited a golf course as president, according to Factba.se, a data analytics company.

418: Days Trump has visited a property he owns, according to Factba.se.

Fuckin WOW!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61079 on: December 26, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »

Fresh evidence published jointly by The New York Times and ProPublica confirms that Beijing has been trying to keep COVID-19 information from the rest of the world since the very start of the pandemic.

On Feb. 7, Li Wenliang, the doctor who blew the whistle on COVID-19, died of the disease he’d warned the world about. While working at Wuhan Central Hospital in China’s Hubei Province, he saw a new version of the severe acute respiratory syndrome known as SARS, which also originated in China in 2002.

As news of the 34-year-old doctor’s untimely death spread and grief went viral on social media such as Weibo and WeChat — Beijing set out to bury the truth.

They ordered news websites not to issue push notifications alerting readers to [Li’s] death. They told social platforms to gradually remove his name from trending topics pages. And they activated legions of fake online commenters to flood social sites with distracting chatter," the Times-ProPublica team reports.

In all, the Hangzhou offices of Beijing’s Internet regulator, the Cyberspace Administration of China, issued more than 3,200 directives and 1,800 memos in its COVID-censorship drive — all leaked by the hacker group C.C.P. [Chinese Communist Party] Unmasked.

In January, before the coronavirus had even been definitively identified, the CCP began working overtime to mislead the world about the truth to protect the party’s image as infections began soaring — even making the disease look less severe. As a result, the world lost its best chance of preventing the global pandemic.

No ‘Negative’ News: How China Censored the Coronavirus

By Raymond Zhong, Paul Mozur, Jeff Kao and Aaron Krolik
*       Dec. 19, 2020
阅读简体中文版閱讀繁體中文版
This article is copublished with ProPublica, the nonprofit investigative newsroom.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 03:13:17 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 4070 4071 [4072] 4073 4074 ... 4288