Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4144 4145 [4146] 4147 4148 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1878418 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #62175 on: January 08, 2021, 05:44:37 AM »

Why does Joe continue to play the race card, continue the polarization? The undermanned security did not take it easy on the insurrectionist thugs because they were white. The BLM movement was by in large accepted and supported except when it resulted in looting and violence. BHO never went in that direction. This is strictly on the Donald and his cult. I thought Biden wanted to reach across the aisle.

It is hard to reach across an aisle to a GOP Congress in which more than 50% are a blend of liars and conspiracy theorists, many of whom actively condone what happened on Wednesday.

It is not "continuing the polarization," but acknowledging that the polarization exists, whether he discusses it or not.

And while you may claim that the undermanned police did not take it easy on the mob on Wednesday because they were white, seeing the police be chummy with some of them combined with recognizing the lack of adequate preparations vs. the prep that was done for the BLM march - the daytime part of their event - suggests somebody in the police hierarchy viewed treating these overwhelmingly white folks very differently from those overwhelmingly Black folks.

Just look again at the picture of the police presence at the Lincoln Memorial in the summer vs. the wholly inadequate forces assembled on January 6th. Do also consider what might have been behind the phenomenally low turnout for shifts by those self-same police that day.

And pause to think, for just a moment, that perhaps President-Elect Biden might know what he is talking about.

And if he is right, then what would you have him say?!

Sounded to me as if he was pandering to his main supporters and throwing guilt at everyone else. He should have focused on the attack on the capital rather than race relations. If it was a black mob it would have been worse, what is he talking about? Don't tell me we have another grouchy old man with serious mental issues in charge. He sounded so soothingly paternal throughout the campaign. At least he was not a narcissistic slumlord as a youth.

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #62176 on: January 08, 2021, 06:06:42 AM »

The woman who was shot dead in the Capitol building yesterday was an air force veteran, unarmed, and shot while climbing thru a window.
Shot in the neck by a cop.
She was a White woman.
IMAGINE if she was Black.

cities would again burn

Which cities burned again?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #62177 on: January 08, 2021, 06:12:51 AM »

Why does Joe continue to play the race card, continue the polarization? The undermanned security did not take it easy on the insurrectionist thugs because they were white. The BLM movement was by in large accepted and supported except when it resulted in looting and violence. BHO never went in that direction. This is strictly on the Donald and his cult. I thought Biden wanted to reach across the aisle.

It is hard to reach across an aisle to a GOP Congress in which more than 50% are a blend of liars and conspiracy theorists, many of whom actively condone what happened on Wednesday.

It is not "continuing the polarization," but acknowledging that the polarization exists, whether he discusses it or not.

And while you may claim that the undermanned police did not take it easy on the mob on Wednesday because they were white, seeing the police be chummy with some of them combined with recognizing the lack of adequate preparations vs. the prep that was done for the BLM march - the daytime part of their event - suggests somebody in the police hierarchy viewed treating these overwhelmingly white folks very differently from those overwhelmingly Black folks.

Just look again at the picture of the police presence at the Lincoln Memorial in the summer vs. the wholly inadequate forces assembled on January 6th. Do also consider what might have been behind the phenomenally low turnout for shifts by those self-same police that day.

And pause to think, for just a moment, that perhaps President-Elect Biden might know what he is talking about.

And if he is right, then what would you have him say?!

Sounded to me as if he was pandering to his main supporters and throwing guilt at everyone else. He should have focused on the attack on the capital rather than race relations. If it was a black mob it would have been worse, what is he talking about? Don't tell me we have another grouchy old man with serious mental issues in charge. He sounded so soothingly paternal throughout the campaign. At least he was not a narcissistic slumlord as a youth.

Since when is speaking factually pandering?

I live in this city and let me tell you there was a huge difference between Wednesday and June 2.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62178 on: January 08, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »

:If you're curious about the Pentagon response, consider where the Pentagon gets its orders.

If you're interested in the Pence family anger: https://www.usatoday.com/
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #62179 on: January 08, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »

The Bidenistas should take a look at the social media posts of all Capitol Police.  Might need to weed out some conspiracy theorists and ardent Trump supporters.  Secret Service as well.

A purge?
When you find gov't agents supporting insurrectionists and racism, it's time to ask them to look for other careers. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #62180 on: January 08, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »

If you can't publish with Simon and Schuster, it's censorship.  At least according to Josh Hawley, who frames the cancellation of his publishing contract with S&S as an Orwellian act of censorship.   If only there were other outlets for one's writing.   But no,  it's only Simon and Schuster.   I want to thank Clancy Diderot,  my editor at S&S, for all his help getting this post written and uploaded this morning. 

barton

Re: Many questions
« Reply #62181 on: January 08, 2021, 10:07:38 AM »

Who gets prosecuted?  Will it be only the few identified so far?   Will 99% get away with it?
How long will they be in prison?  Will it be the ten years Trump promised or will their privilege protect them?
When will the next attack happen? / What will the response be to prevent future incursions?
What will become of Washington DC as a result?

Now that we welcome a POTUS who doesn't induce mass psychosis,  it's possible DC will return to something (perhaps ironically) called normal.   The number of people in the footage who were just standing around taking selfies and pictures of the building suggests to me that insurrectionists are of a lower caliber than they used to be.   Once Trumo is wearing an orange suit,  they will melt back into their swamps and bogs.

barton

« Reply #62182 on: January 08, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »

This was posted on a FBI Twitter:
"The FBI is seeking to identify individuals instigating violence in Washington, D.C. We are accepting tips and digital media depicting rioting or violence in and around the U.S. Capitol on January 6. If you have information, visit http://fbi.gov/USCapitol."

And then, this:
"Please do not send pictures of the president. That is not helpful."

LoL.   I woukd ignore that last instruction.  Flood thatcserver!

barton

« Reply #62183 on: January 08, 2021, 10:30:51 AM »

A mob of the MAGA persuasion
Conducted a Senate invasion.
    Though heavily armed,
    They parted unharmed,
And that's how you know they're Caucasian.

Author unknown.

That's a variation of a limerick that Lime posted a while back regarding the Michigan statehouse invasion.   I don't know if he knows the original source,  either.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #62184 on: January 08, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »

A purge?

Actually some are calling it a "cleansing".

Scary.  Sad.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #62185 on: January 08, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »

People supporting conspiracy theories,insurrection or political violence shouldn't be allowed to work in sensitive security positions.  Pretty simple.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #62186 on: January 08, 2021, 10:43:50 AM »

To Mick Mulvaney, Elain Chao, and Betsy DeVos:

Dear Herr Hitler:  I am resigning from the Nazi Party.   I'm sorry, but for me, your killing of the six millionth Jew was an inflection point.

Wow - what a dick

I'd prefer you use PM to send homoerotic messages.   Thanks.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62187 on: January 08, 2021, 10:44:29 AM »

Cleansing?

Repubs are trying to scrub the truth of their support for a toxic fascist insane dictator and the fact they enabled Trump.

They ignored the lies, they spread the lies and they tried to profit from the lies and conspiracies.

And now they whisper "oh my" and wring their filthy hands

Fuck them

there's not enough soap or disinfectant to cleanse Hawley or Cruz and the House Repubs of their complicity and utter lack of principles or devotion to thier sworn duty.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62188 on: January 08, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »

Trump tweets he's skipping Joe's inauguration.

last night under pressure he spoke of a peaceful transition of power.

and he doesn't have the decency to show-up and wish his successor well and show the country they should accept Biden as the new president

at least pretend you care about the country and democracy

FUCK THIS GUY FOREVER

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62189 on: January 08, 2021, 11:08:53 AM »

Trump tweets he's skipping Joe's inauguration.

last night under pressure he spoke of a peaceful transition of power.

and he doesn't have the decency to show-up and wish his successor well and show the country they should accept Biden as the new president

at least pretend you care about the country and democracy

FUCK THIS GUY FOREVER

I thought his plan to flee the country prior to his loss of partial immunity was a good notion, despite the impending Interpol warrant for him on war crimes.

Perhaps he can still find somewhere to go, far far away. Or he could still fly to Scotland, but remain, with his crew (and family?) on board for two weeks!

I'd imagined him attending the inauguration, but suddenly when the oath was about to be given, leaping up to push Biden over the edge, then standing there, ready to take the oath again, himself. And believing it would work.

So, I am just as happy to have Pence attend, but Trump elsewhere wearing his Attends.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 4144 4145 [4146] 4147 4148 ... 4288