Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4146 4147 [4148] 4149 4150 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1875828 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #62205 on: January 08, 2021, 01:49:24 PM »

I am sure Turd Cruz's butt ugly wife and Kennedy killing dad are happy to see him take a stand against Trump's rhetoric. At least, for as long as it is politically expedient for him to do so.

I recall when he was a primary contender,  and several Washington insiders were sharing that he was the most loathed man in the Senate.   He seems to be that now too familiar combo of all ambition and no brain no decency.
"I like Ted Cruz more than most people. And I hate Ted Cruz."

- Al Franken

I didn’t see this before I made a similar post!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62206 on: January 08, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »

A thing that gives me pause, 12 days before the "peaceful transition of power."

The president has unilateral authority as commander-in-chief to order that nuclear weapons be used for any reason at any time.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62207 on: January 08, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »

And now we know how another of those who died on Wednesday perished:

Tasered himself, then died of an ensuing heart attack.

https://www.revolt.tv/news/2021/1/7/22219433/man-died-at-us-capitol-tasering-himself
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62208 on: January 08, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »

The president has unilateral authority as commander-in-chief to order that nuclear weapons be used for any reason at any time.

And a thing that gives me zero comfort, in that regard:
Preventing an Unhinged President From Using the Nuclear Codes: This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike. The situation of this unhinged President could not be more dangerous, and we must do everything that we can to protect the American people from his unbalanced assault on our country and our democracy.

Nothing there tells me that the prior quotation is wrong.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62209 on: January 08, 2021, 02:30:23 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/us-capitol-riots-arrest-pelosi-desk/index.html

Two important things here:
The guy who sat at Pelosi's desk and stole some mail from it has been arrested. "Barnett was charged with knowingly entering and remaining in restricted building grounds without authority, violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds as well as the theft of public property, officials said."

Secondly:
A resident of Alabama was also charged in connection with the pipe bomb found on the south side of the Capitol building. Eleven Molotov cocktails and military-style weapon were found in his pickup truck, officials said.

Yeah, "just like BLM," because those folks were busy planting pipe bombs all over, right, Kid?!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62210 on: January 08, 2021, 02:45:16 PM »

And now we know how another of those who died on Wednesday perished:

Tasered himself, then died of an ensuing heart attack.

https://www.revolt.tv/news/2021/1/7/22219433/man-died-at-us-capitol-tasering-himself
The version i saw, which i dismissed as apocryphal, was far more salacious and involved him having the taser down his pants and electrocuting his balls while trying to steal a portrait of Tip O'Niell.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #62211 on: January 08, 2021, 02:59:43 PM »

Folks have asked, vis-a-vis the vaccinations, what Biden would do differently.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/biden-vaccine-strategy/index.html

Note though that this depends on the manufacturing happening fast enough to have 2nd doses available 3 weeks after and right now our manufacturing doesn't seem to be matching the promised production speed that would be needed.

"...allowing the access of more doses..."

There are doses right now just sitting.

Best distribution states thus far - 7 of 10 led by Republican leadership
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #62212 on: January 08, 2021, 02:59:54 PM »

In other news, Josh Hawley has declared that the cancellation of his book contract by Simon and Schuster was a violation of his First Amendment rights. Looks like Yale Law's reputation is over vastly inflated.

They need,  at minimum, to add an ethics course requirement.  Given all the Yale alums who've been feeding garbage to the QAnon crowd lately.

(I posted earlier...)

If you can't publish with Simon and Schuster, it's censorship.  At least according to Josh Hawley, who frames the cancellation of his publishing contract with S&S as an Orwellian act of censorship.   If only there were other outlets for one's writing.   But no,  it's only Simon and Schuster.   I want to thank Clancy Diderot,  my editor at S&S, for all his help getting this post written and uploaded this morning.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #62213 on: January 08, 2021, 03:02:25 PM »

Vaccinate by age.

Now.

Not so difficult a concept.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #62214 on: January 08, 2021, 03:17:06 PM »

And a thing that gives me zero comfort, in that regard:
Preventing an Unhinged President From Using the Nuclear Codes: This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike. The situation of this unhinged President could not be more dangerous, and we must do everything that we can to protect the American people from his unbalanced assault on our country and our democracy.

Nothing there tells me that the prior quotation is wrong.

You may fairly suggest that I'm engaging in undue optimism again,  but I just don't see the JCoS authorizing a Trumpian nuke attack.   For one thing,  an offensive use,  where there is no enemy attack underway, would require a resolution of Congress,  wouldn't it?

And any attack where conventional forces could reasonably give proportionate response,  the military would take that option.   Trump,  thanks to his many nasty remarks,  and some signs of professional integrity in top brass,  has failed to tuck the military in his pocket.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62215 on: January 08, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »

Well, this guy definitely has no legs to stand on, now!

Newly elected Republican Rep. Madison Cawthorn condemned the violence at the Capitol earlier this week after encouraging his supporters to fight in the run-up to the insurrection.

The North Carolina congressman spoke at the rally held Wednesday morning before the Trump supporters marched to Congress and ransacked the building, resulting in the death of one Capitol Police officer and four insurrectionists.

“This crowd has some fight in it,” Cawthorn said. “And I am so thankful for each and every one of you.”

Cawthorn, 25, had stated in advance of Jan. 6 that he planned to object to the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s win, lending support to President Trump’s baseless claims that the election was stolen from him. In a Dec. 31 video explaining why he was objecting, Cawthorn said, “Voter fraud is common in America,” which has been disputed by multiple investigations, including the administration’s own commission that looked into the 2016 election and disbanded without finding any irregularities worth reporting.

“January 6th is fast approaching, the future of this Republic hinges on the actions of a solitary few,” Cawthorn tweeted late Monday. “Get ready, the fate of a nation rests on our shoulders, yours and mine. Let’s show Washington that our backbones are made of steel and titanium. It’s time to fight.”

On Tuesday, Cawthorn tweeted out an image that included the hashtag #StopTheSteal, a rallying cry for Trump supporters who have been told by leaders that Democratic officials and rigged voting machines are responsible for Biden’s 306 electoral votes and 7 million-ballot margin in the popular vote.

Two days later, Cawthorn said his rhetoric had nothing to do with the violence in Washington.

“I don’t feel I had any responsibility for them attacking the Capitol,” Cawthorn told WLOS, a North Carolina ABC affiliate. “It was despicable. They are thugs.”

“I do believe that saying we needed to march down to the Capitol was a mistake on behalf of the president. Any of my supporters who are thinking about trying to take democracy in their own hands and storm the Capitol again, I have to say they do not support the same type of politics I support,”
Cawthorn added.

Make Assholes Grovel Again.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #62216 on: January 08, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »

Now, about that violent lot who took over the Capitol in Seattle at gunpoint, allegedly raided businesses and stood over the owners, set up their autonomous zone by force and held it by force/at gunpoint.

Any word from Joe and co about them?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #62217 on: January 08, 2021, 03:46:39 PM »

There is no “Capitol” in Seattle.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #62218 on: January 08, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »

The President should not have that power.

One morning a President might awaken from a dream where a kangaroo was jumping on him, punching and kicking him...and said President then enter the launch codes and nuke Australia.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:58:48 PM by bambu. »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #62219 on: January 08, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »

There is no “Capitol” in Seattle.

Thanks.

Capitol Hill.

YouTube:
Seattle protest turns violent with looting and fires downtown

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/11/chaz-seattle-autonomous-zone-police-protest

But in a tweet, Donald Trump described the protesters as “Domestic Terrorists” who “have taken over Seattle, run by Radical Left Democrats, of course. LAW & ORDER!”

In another tweet addressing the Seattle mayor, Jenny Durkan, and the Washington governor, Jay Inslee, he told them to “take back your city NOW… If you don’t do it, I will. This is not a game,” adding: “These ugly Anarchists must be stopped IMMEDIATELY. MOVE FAST!”

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:25:11 PM by bambu. »
Pages: 1 ... 4146 4147 [4148] 4149 4150 ... 4288